Moore is too nice

I’m not convinced Moore is a good appointment but time will tell. If he can develop a good relationship with Chansiri and he’s given time to rebuild the team then who knows. His nice guy approach might work better with modern day footballers, especially once he’s cleared out the current underperforming bunch.

But as we all know, with the state the football club is in it’ll be a mammoth challenge for anybody to get the team performing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Furious George said:

Every pundit praises him, such a nice bloke.

And I agree, he really is.

But, imagine now if those players were walking in to face Nigel Pearson in the dressing room. Most would still be on the pitch afraid to walk in.

We need someone to grab hold of these players and shake the fizz out of them.

I don't think a Moore is that man.

Firstly, good OP and starts a good debate 👍

I don’t really agree with it but I see why people can think a tougher approach would be useful. 
I run a business with my Brother. He’s 4 inches taller than me and 6 stone heavier. He’s a shouter and I’m not. We both get different results from different people. I tend to work with reason and empowerment. He works by telling people what to do and shouting at them if they don’t do it. You need a bit of both. I think Moore is a good coach and has his own way of motivating particularly young players. But I’d bet one of his right hand men is a hairdryer. 
I think we looked pretty well motivated on Sunday to be fair. 
100% we have to give Moore a chance now he’s here. Sacking him at this stage would be folly of the highest order because even if you don’t agree with his method, at least he has a method!

• Like 2

Strange thread, Moore isn’t the problem and he won’t be the problem in the future.  As I said to my folks yesterday, our new manager is good, sadly our club isn’t.  If Moore “fails” here he will go somewhere else and be a success like Paul Jewell did.  

• Like 5

Darren Moore won't fail because he's a bad manager he will fail because of the fuckwittery at the club, the vwank decisions made at the top the vank players brought in by our advisor players not giving two ferks for the club and supporters, things have got to change from the top down and the light at the end of a very dark tunnel is the majority of the players sodding off at the end of the season, we've just got to hope the new signings are dm's and not paxo's or we will be back to square one. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Furious George said:

But, imagine now if those players were walking in to face Nigel Pearson in the dressing room. Most would still be on the pitch afraid to walk in.

We need someone to grab hold get rid of these players and shake the fizz out of them.

We need a new squad of players that can be formed into a team, that will take time, some thing that the senior players in our present squad have had over the last 6 seasons.

11 hours ago, Furious George said:

Agree, it worked for wilder. 

4 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Much as I love the old fashioned manager taking the paint off the wall at half time with his tongue it wouldn't work in modern football.

Gone are the days of Clough basically bullying players and even Alex Ferguson hairdryer treatment.

You can be a nice bloke outside of dressing room and be a non nonsense type of manager within it but not in the same way as 30-40 years ago.

Despite their reputations Clough ans Fergie used the haidryer treatment rarely. Use it too often and it loses it's effect. I don't know about Fergie but players would run through walls for Clough, he was very good at man management. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Shetland Owl said:

How many managers have we had? all with different approach, Pulis would have been one not to mix his words and look what happened to him, no player reaction either

It almost seemed the players were boycotting him as well. The only saving grace would be the fact players hadn't been paid on time, but I have my suspicions that they wanted Pulis out.

Between that, Fernando throwing a fit, and multiple players getting frozen out, it seems dressing-room drama has become part of the club's culture. Remember all that "unity" propaganda rubbish the club were peddling at the start of the season?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Furious George said:

How will that make them better players?   More than one way to skin a cat, shouting and screaming looses it effect after a while.   As with tactics you need more than one plan which I'm sure Pearson and Moore are aware of.

17 hours ago, Furious George said:

Working out well so far

Might be because they are not good enough footballers. His methods have been pretty successful in his two other managerial jobs. He has had 3 games, one against the team who will be champions, one against a top 6 said in which a daft mistake cost us any chance and his first one which we should have won if players had taken their chances and we had not taken a last minute corner like a 5-year-old trying to kick a ball that was too big for him! 

Bit early to blame our current results on his methods don't you think?

11 hours ago, Manwë said:

We've had Monk who was a bit quiet, polite, gentlemanly, shy.

We've had Pulis, calls a spade a spade, arms flailing, angry, passionate, blunt. 

We've had Thompson, protective of his boys, analytical, sincere, able to have those tough discussions.

Now Moore, who strikes me between Monk and Thompson.

We are still losing.  

I wonder if starving the team of investment has anything to do with it.  I wonder if letting Fletcher, Foriestieri, Hunt, Fox, Lee et al go without equal or anywhere near replacements has something to do with it.

We are poo now by design of our owner, we just don't have the players or enough of them fit when needed.  These are all the consequences of Chansiri's decision making from years gone by.  

This is it for me. Across all of the managers we’ve had in recent seasons we’ve probably had the full range of styles. The fight has gone, for one reason or another, you could see that in the second half. There’s no point rollicking ‘em, they’ve heard it all before and the reaction is only short lived. Summer overhaul needed, just hope DM can get the players he wants/needs in. Not sure where we will be shopping though.

The only managers who have done well here are those with big personalities who are able to transmit confidence to the players e.g. Big Jack, Big Ron and Howard Wilkinson. The nearest manager that fits the bill that we could have got was the guy who has just gone to Ipswich. A manager who is not afraid to tell the players the truth.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Might be because they are not good enough footballers. His methods have been pretty successful in his two other managerial jobs. He has had 3 games, one against the team who will be champions, one against a top 6 said in which a daft mistake cost us any chance and his first one which we should have won if players had taken their chances and we had not taken a last minute corner like a 5-year-old trying to kick a ball that was too big for him! 

Bit early to blame our current results on his methods don't you think?

Thought that imposing a new system of 4-2-3-1 immediately was very unwise. It took Windass from a position where he had scored two goals at Luton to the left flank and left Patterson who is not a striker as a sole man upfront. Crazy. 

And ordering struggling defenders to play it out from the back must be unsettling at this time of crisis. Sunday he ought to have refreshed midfield rather than putting on Marriott and Paterson.

We were overrun after 60 minutes. 
He may have been decent at Albion and pretty good at Donny but here he comes over as a learner and experimenter.

6 hours ago, s.kirkbyowl said:

The only managers who have done well here are those with big personalities who are able to transmit confidence to the players e.g. Big Jack, Big Ron and Howard Wilkinson. The nearest manager that fits the bill that we could have got was the guy who has just gone to Ipswich. A manager who is not afraid to tell the players the truth.

Can’t we just call Moore “Big Daz” ?

On 14/03/2021 at 23:22, Furious George said:

That is the daftest post I have read in a while.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victorturner said:

Thought that imposing a new system of 4-2-3-1 immediately was very unwise. It took Windass from a position where he had scored two goals at Luton to the left flank and left Patterson who is not a striker as a sole man upfront. Crazy. 

And ordering struggling defenders to play it out from the back must be unsettling at this time of crisis. Sunday he ought to have refreshed midfield rather than putting on Marriott and Paterson.

We were overrun after 60 minutes. 
He may have been decent at Albion and pretty good at Donny but here he comes over as a learner and experimenter.

I agree about the subs on Sunday, could have done with freshening up midfield as you say.

If he feels adopting different formations and tactics is the way to go though then I'm prepared to give him a chance. Not sure one decent display from Windass at Luton warrants us sticking to that system, it's not as if it has been a success all season. We really should have beaten Rotherham and the fact we didn't was due to individual errors rather than tactics. At Reading we were matching them until another daft individual error cost us.

14 hours ago, s.kirkbyowl said:

Why do you think telling players the truth is the way to go?

Pulis wasn't shy about telling the truth either and you saw how that went, the players rebelled and he was gone

The problem here is too many players have it too cushy and the old guard have too much power, Bannan has a direct line to DC ffs

• Like 1