Moore is too nice

When we go down... how nice DM is will have had nothing to do with it (and I’m amazed that being nice is somehow a bad quality)

secondly when we are in league 1 next season the players that he has left will be emotionally shot after what has been one of the most chaotic seasons in our history. I think we will need a manager who can support those players as many will need an arm putting round them.

he also has a track record of developing players so hope he gets the chance... something we will desperately need. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think Pulis is in that old school headmaster mould and that didn’t work.

I think we’ve tried all sorts this season and it’s not worked. But in terms of the future what we need is someone positive that hopefully nurtures a few decent young players.

On 14/03/2021 at 23:22, Furious George said:

Every pundit praises him, such a nice bloke.

And I agree, he really is.

But, imagine now if those players were walking in to face Nigel Pearson in the dressing room. Most would still be on the pitch afraid to walk in.

We need someone to grab hold of these players and shake the fizz out of them.

I don't think a Moore is that man.

To be fair and reasonable most fans of the clubs he has managed really rate him and I am confident having seen evidence of improvement in overall performance in the short time he has been here, that given the time by our owner AND FANS,he will be an excellent manager for us.Come on lets all get behind him and our beloved club for a change.UP THE OWLS

• Like 2

On 15/03/2021 at 08:15, Pieman said:

I think the word we are looking for is discipline. You can create discipline within an environment without ranting and raving. You set standards and a culture where everyone wants to achieve and over achieve them. This is often done by example, as opposed to verbally. You then reward and praise success and identify and work with failure. Why have they failed, what was the reason? 

Darren Moore is here for the rebuild for next season, regardless of the results. We saw a ‘bounce’ yesterday and some good football to boot. My opinion is he is a good choice and will do well over time here.

A good point. An example of this was having Loovens as captain. He seemed a pretty calm guy but he seemed to sort a lot of issues out, almost like an extension of the manager, by making players feel they didn’t want to let the wider team down. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I agree about the subs on Sunday, could have done with freshening up midfield as you say.

If he feels adopting different formations and tactics is the way to go though then I'm prepared to give him a chance. Not sure one decent display from Windass at Luton warrants us sticking to that system, it's not as if it has been a success all season. We really should have beaten Rotherham and the fact we didn't was due to individual errors rather than tactics. At Reading we were matching them until another daft individual error cost us.

Go along with that in the main although making Paterson the solo striker in the new system was not a recommendation for scoring.

DM had praised Rhodes to the skies in the few days before he arrived then picked Paterson as striker for his first two matches. He is not the first manager to do so at S6 this season but Paterson is so limited if he is being played upfront, it has to be as part of a 2 striker formation.

Against Rotherham, I thought the team looked over anxious and uncomfortable in a strange new system , leaving them short upfront , which they were asked to adopt overnight. It was an unnecessary burden in a must win match , with a changed system when they had scored twice ( almost unknown!) in the previous match.

Against Luton, where at least a point should have been gained under NT after taking a 2-0 lead, it had been the lack of defensive midfield protection and an undermanned defence which cost us. (Pulis tried to shore up that defence and defensive midfield by bringing in Shaw.) 

It did again against Norwich, when playing both Bannan and Reach cost us. When you cannot score many goals, you cannot afford to have both of them in the same side as defensively they are so weak. Pulis played Paterson in more of a midfield role.

• Love 1

On 15/03/2021 at 07:40, SiJ said:

Time will tell. 

By all accounts, one of the most liked blokes in the English games. You'd like to think that would count for something. 

Tbf to him, he's dealing with some absolute wasters at the moment, proper charlatans. 

I just hope he's given the chance to build his own team here. I fear Chansiri will pull the trigger on him if we don't start picking up a few wins before the season is out. 

he must be an appointment for longer term, we know the pigeons have flown. Its all about club model, strategy and recruitment now. Want us to take gambles on promise when down and try and sell for profit

On 14/03/2021 at 23:22, Furious George said:

Most would still be on the pitch afraid to walk in.

Most of them are afraid ON the pitch...afraid of making a mistake so it's safety first whilst passing and panic stations whilst defending in the last 15 mins

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 15/03/2021 at 00:01, Furious George said:

I don't, but, because every game so far since he took charge we've been poo, I reckon that's a fair assumption.

Its because he is currently making bad decisions,...playing out from the back,with a lone striker with our current squad? is there anyone on here thinks thats the right thing to do,with points to play for?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

A good point. An example of this was having Loovens as captain. He seemed a pretty calm guy but he seemed to sort a lot of issues out, almost like an extension of the manager, by making players feel they didn’t want to let the wider team down. 

Completely agree. Loovens was a brilliant leader and he didn’t need to shout and ball. He exemplifies what we haven’t got today. Even Bannan, who is a very good player, isn’t a leader in a similar vein. Lees and Reach, definitely not. Dunkley, if he can get himself fit, may be?

• Like 1

This has been probably already been mentioned - I just can't be bothered reading every post 😀.

Sport in general now is about man management - not an entire squad mentality. What works for one player doesn't work for another. A good manager needs to know what is the best form of motivation for each individual. It takes time and this is one of the problems with football is managers often get sacked far too quickly without having the chance to build a relationship with a player and understand what makes them tick.

I can imagine Pulis was very old school - its my way or the highway. How did that work out for him?  I'm not against the odd half time spray if the team deserves it but the days of teams copping a gob full every second week no longer works. 

The generation of today is not the generation of the past. 

Also the best way to get the maximum effort from a player/side is of course to have 2/3 players battling for every position. We are no where near that.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2021 at 09:02, Shiregreenowl 80 said:

Ron Atkinson  is a really nice bloke... Just wasn't working with a bunch of fools 

If you listen to TWW podcasts where they interview old players, you'll figure out that Atkinson wasn't a really nice bloke to all of his players - in fact, he sounds like a bit of a jeb end if I'm honest.  

On 16/03/2021 at 11:15, parajack said:

Its because he is currently making bad decisions,...playing out from the back,with a lone striker with our current squad? is there anyone on here thinks thats the right thing to do,with points to play for?

No fan who knows this squad believes we should play out from the back or play a lone-striker.

Add to that the state of our pitch. I think Pep would have Diaz and Stones getting rid on our pitch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shandypants said:

If you listen to TWW podcasts where they interview old players, you'll figure out that Atkinson wasn't a really nice bloke to all of his players - in fact, he sounds like a bit of a jeb end if I'm honest.  

Any examples?

25 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I'm on about public posona. As you just  proved  with Atkinson what they are like in the media and behind closed doors  is two different things 

We've tried "how many" now, hard-line managers since Carlos? 

It just dosent work with this set of players, they just down tools until whomever it is gets the sack, jos tried it, monk tried, Pulis tried. 

Even with Thompson the moment he said they'd had words insinuating he'd had a go at them and told them some home truths they didn't like they did it to him too. 

This lot need cuddling and molly codling.