Paterson

Just now, ******** said:

Same every week. Did one in 1st few minutes, 10 yards off his shins 

Exactly. 

How can you be a professional footballer and have such a bad first touch? 

Woeful.  

His finishing today was embarrassing it's not really clear what are his positive attributes other than being a bit of a trier.

His performances are about the level I'd expect if we just decide to start playing someone random like borner upfront.

To make things worse he's also cost us so many goals this season at the other end with his inability to defend our box.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The finishing...that's really annoying, but sometimes "strikers" have off days. 

What really, really got on my wick today was his first touch. 

The amount of times the ball bounces off him and ends up going back to the opposition. 

Think how great it would be to have Fletcher back right now. Or Nuhiu even. I don't blame Paterson to much though he is doing his best in a converted position. We had better options they would be playing.

• Thanks 1

Horrendous misses tonight, but he usually does score from those positions he got into tonight - I was amazed he missed the 2 headers - he has been clinical with his headed chances this season.

He was very dangerous and don’t want to be too harsh on him - I wish more of the team showed his passion and desire 

• Like 1

The thing is Paterson isn’t a striker. He’s a full back. That’s his position, until Warnock decided to try him upfront. It clicked for one season where he just got into a habit of being in the right place at the right time. Now suddenly it’s his new position.

It’s really not that surprising. Why are we pinning our hopes on a full back converted into a striker to score goals to keep us up?

Pulis called it in his first interview. Paterson isn’t a striker. Given his experience in the game, he probably knows what he’s on about. The problem is he’s probably the best option we have up there at the moment. 

Personally I think Rhodes is but Moore isn’t the first manager to overlook Rhodes in his team selections.

Couldn’t stick it away tonight and is a makeshift forward. 

Still think people are overreacting though. 

He cares. He may just be limited. He’s put the ball in the net for us before today. Several things came from him getting it wide ... which others failed to even do 

He's not a striker. He has some attributes, works hard, chases down defenders, but he definitely isnt a finisher.

Scored some lucky goals, some rather awkward, but still more than our other forward options....which is why he starts and just demonstrates how poo we've been.

If he's going to play, needs the wide players to be proper forward thinking players, as these are the real goal threat to play off him and run in behind.

11 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The thing is Paterson isn’t a striker. He’s a full back. That’s his position, until Warnock decided to try him upfront. It clicked for one season where he just got into a habit of being in the right place at the right time. Now suddenly it’s his new position.

It’s really not that surprising. Why are we pinning our hopes on a full back converted into a striker to score goals to keep us up?

Pulis called it in his first interview. Paterson isn’t a striker. Given his experience in the game, he probably knows what he’s on about. The problem is he’s probably the best option we have up there at the moment. 

Personally I think Rhodes is but Moore isn’t the first manager to overlook Rhodes in his team selections.

Is he though? I couldn’t picture the bloke playing full back in a million years lol