Paterson

I don't understand the criticism of Paterson.  

He was a full back at Hearts. At Cardiff he was a midfielder and emergency striker.

He was the only bloke last night to fetch a fantastic stop from their keeper.  And at least he got some shots in.  One was a whisker the wrong side of the post. 

He's not gifted with glowing skills like Izzie Brown but he always gives 100%.  I know which of the two I would prefer up front in League one.  If we had kept Nuhiu we wouldn't even need Callum up top.  

• Like 1

Some of the chances he's finished this season were far far harder than the two or three he missed tonight. You'd have to think that at least one of them go in. Ah well. You get nights like that, we seem to get more than most mind 😕

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The thing is Paterson isn’t a striker. He’s a full back. That’s his position, until Warnock decided to try him upfront. It clicked for one season where he just got into a habit of being in the right place at the right time. Now suddenly it’s his new position.

It’s really not that surprising. Why are we pinning our hopes on a full back converted into a striker to score goals to keep us up?

Pulis called it in his first interview. Paterson isn’t a striker. Given his experience in the game, he probably knows what he’s on about. The problem is he’s probably the best option we have up there at the moment. 

Personally I think Rhodes is but Moore isn’t the first manager to overlook Rhodes in his team selections.

Chris Kamara : You've used him in midfield. You've used him at centre forward, how come you don't play him at full back? 

Warnock: Have you seen him play full back?!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Chris Kamara : You've used him in midfield. You've used him at centre forward, how come you don't play him at full back? 

Warnock: Have you seen him play full back?!

But he’s not a striker! Fact is he started out as a full back until Warnock deemed he wasn’t good enough to play there.

Guest Therealrealist

That in first half tho..their keeper had allready fell over..and he put it wide and keeper didnt have to save it 😂

He put himself about last night that’s for sure. 
But we’ve needed a target man to make the ball stick ever since dare I say it big Dave left. 
He finds himself in positions which the small nippy forward should be in I.e a Marriott type. 
The first half chance where he shot  wide he never even looked up to sight the goal just shot. It was average at best. Sums us up really. 

Paterson is a willing trier, but not a technically good footballer or a finisher. He has scored a couple of good goals but also been lucky to score others. 

He is one of many players in our squad where it is still not clear what his best position might be. Like Reach, like Penney, like Hutchinson and Windass. You could even throw in Palmer and Harris.  And Bannan.

Therein lies a major problem. 

1 minute ago, September65 said:

Paterson is a willing trier, but not a technically good footballer or a finisher. He has scored a couple of good goals but also been lucky to score others. 

He is one of many players in our squad where it is still not clear what his best position might be. Like Reach, like Penney, like Hutchinson and Windass. You could even throw in Palmer and Harris.  And Bannan.

Therein lies a major problem. 

Reach is a left winger

Penney is a limited fullback

Hutchinson is a CB

Windass is a supporting forward

Palmer is a rightback

Harris is a right winger 

Bannan is a deep lying playmaker.

The problem is it’s rare that a manager plays them all in their best position.

I have no idea what Paterson is meant to be.

18 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

But he’s not a striker! Fact is he started out as a full back until Warnock deemed he wasn’t good enough to play there.

True.

But Kieran Lee was a full back too until Stuart Gray...

Our squad is so lopsided, been put together with so little thought, that there's always, ALWAYS going to be some chump being asked to do a job somewhere until a proper transfer system in sync with the system and style is put in place.

Last night was a complete nightmare for Paterson. I am always sympathetic for misses by strikers because at least they were in a position to make a miss, but last night some of the misses were very very bad. I know he isn’t a centre forward really but the odd thing is he’s showed he can score this season. God knows what to do from here. Rhodes is going to be off next season and we are totally relegated anyway so is there a point in starting players who are definitely leaving?

I don’t know any more. 

Whether you like him or not Patterson gives his all in every game.  Yes he had a bad game last night and should have scored.  However, he ran himself daft and tried his best and it didn't come off.  That can happen to anyone.  What we cannot doubt is his work rate and application, he gives everything every week.  If the rest of the team put in a similar amount of effort we would not be in the mess we are. People, especially the Jordan Rhodes fan club need to lay off him.    

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Reach is a left winger

Penney is a limited fullback

Hutchinson is a CB

Windass is a supporting forward

Palmer is a rightback

Harris is a right winger 

Bannan is a deep lying playmaker.

The problem is it’s rare that a manager plays them all in their best position.

I have no idea what Paterson is meant to be.

That is your view. I agree with some of them.

However, If you canvassed all Wednesday fans you would get different opinions. Many would say Bannan is best out left (like under CC) or played further forward where he can "affect games" more. Not everyone agrees Hutchinson is a CB. I'm not sure Penney is a full back. 

Still not sure what Windass is. 

12 hours ago, Joe Jockstrap said:

He quite frankly should be ashamed of himself.

A professional footballer should not miss chance after chance after chance.

Why? He always gives 100% every game.

Hes not a striker and hes not very good. Neither of which are his fault.

If anyone should be ashamed it should be the person responsible for recruiting him as our main 'striker'.

• Like 1

Should have scored 3 or 4 last night.

The one I hung my head in shame at was from the long ball from Borner ( which he brought down well ), but then seeing the Rotherham goalie slip over decided to toe poke it wide rather than just chip it over into an empty goal.

The last real chance was from Penney's cross where he made too good a contact - anything else would've probably flown in rather than go over the bar.

But by far the worst, was the miss from within the 6 ys box in 2nd half - the Rotherham goalie's hand should've been snapped off from the power..