Liam shaw

45 minutes ago, sibon said:

An experienced manager would have had him off at half time. He was a red card waiting to happen. That aggression is his strength, but also his Achilles heel. We should have brought Reach on at the interval 

I think this is a very good point...it’s a precautionary move. I also think that Bannan  as the captain should be keeping in his ear with guidance.

1 hour ago, victorturner said:

I think this is a very good point...it’s a precautionary move. I also think that Bannan  as the captain should be keeping in his ear with guidance.

Absolutely correct Liam should have been subbed at half time it's absolute frustration on his part playing with non league players trying to do the best he can.

He's Wednesday through and through but we can't beat a team who have not won on 12 games.

He's a very promising player. His energy, mobility and aerial strength has added an extra dimension to our team. He's well worth a place in the squad and I would hope he's going to play more games in the run in, just because he should, on merit.

But he's got to stop throwing himself in to tackles like that in a way that is out of control. Obviously the first yellow card was a joke, there was very little contact. But some refs would have given him a straight red for the second tackle. He timed it perfectly and took the ball (then the man), but for better or worse, tackling like that has been virtually banned now. It is a yellow card all day long, and with a particularly strict ref (like we saw against Reading) it's a red. You can't be giving the ref a decision like that to make, especially when you're already on a yellow card.

Saying that, any online abuse directed to him personally is pathetic. We need everyone focusing on supporting the players and the team for this run in. Any anger we feel towards the Chairman isn't going to be helped by sniping at a 19-year-old Wednesdayite who is clearly trying his best for the team.

• Like 7

Guest LondonOwl313
4 hours ago, cowl said:

Moments before Shaw received his first yellow, you had Bannan literally, flagrantly and unapologetically tugged back by one of their defenders. Right in front of the ref too.

He gave the free kick for it, of course, because there couldn't even have been a question of it not being a foul, but where was the book? How can such an obvious attempt to foul not receive a yellow?

Shaw's first wasn't even remotely intentional. Just crazy reffing and all in the space of 30 seconds.

Because the ref is Lee Mason. The same guy who Nuno at Wolves got reprimanded for saying he’s not good enough to referee their games. The same guy who gave the penalty and red card on VAR when Martial dived against Southampton and the same guy who was on VAR when Soucek got wrongly sent off for West Ham which was overturned on appeal and was the decision that led to the Mike Dean death threats.

Thats 3 in the last month or so and he’s been demoted as he’s not good enough. If he can’t get the decision right when he’s sat in Stockley Park with 50 camera angles in front of him then it doesn’t come as a surprise that he got a number of decisions wrong today. He’s incompetent and doesn’t know the rules of the game well enough

That should be his final appearance for us.

Clearly shown that he's incapable of showing any discipline or composure, especially during such a crucial fixture.

Besides, he's not some world-beater that some are making out. I think it just shows the woeful like of quality we have as a team collectively when he's considered one of our better players.

4 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

It was perhaps a daft and pointless  tackle to make when already on a yellow. But it was also TWO terrible decisions by Lee Mason. He’s an awful referee. 

The first was certainly a bad decision but I don't think we can have too many complaints about the 2nd yellow! 

2 minutes ago, 109Waddle said:

In 5 out of 10 games, Shaw stays on the pitch, such is the inconsistent interpretation of the rules. If the ref doesn’t book him, we’d all be saying “great tackle, great commitment”.

Yes, two Chelsea players late into the tackle with studs showing nothing from the ref and VSAR.

Was it really a reckless challenge? Granted there is contact after the ball is clearly played but this has happened for years. One thing that is more apparent is that there are more De Niro’s and Pacino’s on the playing field where a card is more likely to be awarded than an Oscar? 

You can argue all you want about whether the challenge was necessary or not but football is no longer the contact sport it once was and it’s only a matter of time before if it hasn’t already become like Basketball and if so why don’t we have players off for 5 or 10 minutes rather than the rest of the game?

28 minutes ago, owls66 said:

That should be his final appearance for us.

Clearly shown that he's incapable of showing any discipline or composure, especially during such a crucial fixture.

Besides, he's not some world-beater that some are making out. I think it just shows the woeful like of quality we have as a team collectively when he's considered one of our better players.

Don’t think anyone is making him out to be a world beater. He is however the only one of our midfielders who can actually get around the pitch. 

Shaw tackles fairly in the middle of the pitch and wins the ball. Gets his 2'md booking and gets sent off. 

Against Bournemouth, Hutchinson tackles from behind in our box, gets nowhere near the ball and stops player from scoring when one on one with the keeper. He doesn't get booked. 

Unbelievable... 

• Haha 1

What’s puzzling is fans taking to Twitter to abuse him. Some Wednesday fans make me laugh. They demand young players come through the club, they demand players give 100% and to put some effort in. But as soon as they make a mistake, they’re chucked to the wolves....all because big gob Neil Lennon said Shaw is going up there. 

All that abuse despite the fact it was very poor refereeing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just had my first look at the first yellow and a proper look at the second.

The first isn't a yellow - simple as that.

It doesn’t alter the fact though that he was on a yellow when he went into that tackle. I believe it was just a honest attempt to play the ball with no malice intended. He did win the ball but ended up going through the player (it wasn’t as bad as that sounds though). Even though it wasn’t a massive impact you can expect a yellow and some refs would have given a straight red. Some have pointed to the tackle immediately before but it wasn’t the same, it was sideways on and wasn’t going to cause injury.

So, IMO he was unlucky but should have shown more discipline in that situation. In his defence he’s a young, inexperienced player trying to impress. He has got to get that tackle out of his game though.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

He's a very promising player. His energy, mobility and aerial strength has added an extra dimension to our team. He's well worth a place in the squad and I would hope he's going to play more games in the run in, just because he should, on merit.

But he's got to stop throwing himself in to tackles like that in a way that is out of control. Obviously the first yellow card was a joke, there was very little contact. But some refs would have given him a straight red for the second tackle. He timed it perfectly and took the ball (then the man), but for better or worse, tackling like that has been virtually banned now. It is a yellow card all day long, and with a particularly strict ref (like we saw against Reading) it's a red. You can't be giving the ref a decision like that to make, especially when you're already on a yellow card.

Saying that, any online abuse directed to him personally is pathetic. We need everyone focusing on supporting the players and the team for this run in. Any anger we feel towards the Chairman isn't going to be helped by sniping at a 19-year-old Wednesdayite who is clearly trying his best for the team.

Agree with this.

Don't forget he is 19 year old in his first season of first team football and he will learn that in today's game you can't give the referee an option.

Peope need to cut him a little slack, he is the best prospect we have had in years.

• Like 2

However much the first yellow was undeserved, Shaw ought to have been more intelligent being on a yellow card. The actual tackle in an area near the touchline was unnecessary. He had the arm round the shoulder approach after his first red card, I would have gone ballistic after his latest one in such a crucial match. He has twice been sent off with a huge chunk of the match left to play.