Liam shaw

Moments before Shaw received his first yellow, you had Bannan literally, flagrantly and unapologetically tugged back by one of their defenders. Right in front of the ref too.

He gave the free kick for it, of course, because there couldn't even have been a question of it not being a foul, but where was the book? How can such an obvious attempt to foul not receive a yellow?

Shaw's first wasn't even remotely intentional. Just crazy reffing and all in the space of 30 seconds.

2 minutes ago, cowl said:

We were poor today, but would we have lost with 11 on the pitch?

Shaw was off only 5 minutes into the 2nd half, and it's not like the first half saw either side dominate any aspect of play.

I thought the game was a bit poor and could have gone either way but Birmingham were starting to come into it strong in the second half before the sending off

I reckon they'd have sneaked it

Owlstalk Shop

I'm strapped in 

I just don't get it 

What's the fuss 

Skinned a few league 2 players and what else 

He's shown he is a liability 

First ref card can go down to inexprience.

The second was just damn stupidity 

We can argue all day it wasn't a yellow/red card but to go and do a tackle like that while on a yellow was stupid 

I honestly think people are mad about him leaving because he is a Wednesday fan 

Because so far he has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he will be the next Paul Scholes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I thought the game was a bit poor and could have gone either way but Birmingham were starting to come into it strong in the second half before the sending off

I reckon they'd have sneaked it

But only five minutes had gone of that 2nd half!

We've seen this time again with Wednesday starting halves slowly, and yeah, we've seen us concede and not recover or just play out a drab draw, but we've also seen us come back and get a win in such games.

Both the wins against Derby and Coventry in this little run we'd been on had come from single goals scored after the hour mark too, after all, and in neither of these games had we played particularly well up to when we scored.

• Like 1

I feel for Shaw. As soon as I saw it, I thought that's it, he's off. However, 10-15 years ago that was a good tackle.

It's very hard to know now, in a split second, what is going to be a booking it not.

Put yourself in Shaw's position, he sees the ball, he knows he can get there first - that used to be all that mattered, so you'd make the challenge, win the ball, end of story. Now you've got to consider what the challenge looks like.

Now doubt the ref was 'right', as they're told that's a yellow or a red these days, but it's very difficult for a ball winning midfielder.

Does anyone actually think sending people off for this is good for the game?

you can argue all you like about the rights and wrongs of ref's decision.

(10 years ago thats not a card etc)

the fact is there is no way Shaw should have made that second challenge when on a yellow and that part of the pitch when under no threat.

Its hardly like he was taking one for the team is it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dot said:

you can argue all you like about the rights and wrongs of ref's decision.

(10 years ago thats not a card etc)

the fact is there is no way Shaw should have made that second challenge when on a yellow and that part of the pitch when under no threat.

Its hardly like he was taking one for the team is it?

I think the point is that the first yellow wasn’t even a foul - he never touched him

Owlstalk Shop

11 minutes ago, cowl said:

But only five minutes had gone of that 2nd half!

We've seen this time again with Wednesday starting halves slowly, and yeah, we've seen us concede and not recover or just play out a drab draw, but we've also seen us come back and get a win in such games.

Both the wins against Derby and Coventry in this little run we'd been on had come from single goals scored after the hour mark too, after all, and in neither of these games had we played particularly well up to when we scored.

Yeah true mate 

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I think the point is that the first yellow wasn’t even a foul - he never touched him

my point is he was on a yellow so shouldnt have made that challenge in a non threatening position.

• Like 2

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Yeah that’s also true

100% true, you can argue the merits of his first yellow all day long.

You cant argue with the facts though, that when he made that challenge he was already on a yellow.

someone posted in the matchday thread at half time that they would take Shaw off as he is going to get sent off.

3 minutes ago, Dot said:

100% true, you can argue the merits of his first yellow all day long.

You cant argue with the facts though, that when he made that challenge he was already on a yellow.

someone posted in the matchday thread at half time that they would take Shaw off as he is going to get sent off.

Yeah soon as he dove it it felt like he was gone 

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

He might have been overcompensating for that 

possibly

or maybe he is just a very naive footballer who needs to learn

but is not going to learn much more when he leaves and doesn't play many more games until he's loaned out to falkirk