Jump to content

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Honestly don’t understand the fascination, it’s bonkers. A good lower league record at a few clubs and it’s like the second coming of Klopp.

 

Look, I get in our predicament he may not be a bad choice. He has vast experience managing poor players and teams and doing well with them, so will probably be able to rally this lot up. 
 

I’d still prefer a manager whose managed at a higher level and is tactically stronger with better contacts 

 

That’s just personal preference 

Honestly, do you really think we can do better? 

 

Captain dipsh*t cannot even pay his players on time atm.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/01/2021 at 14:54, theowlsman said:

But more importantly......

 

HE IS POSITIVE

HE IS LIVELY

HE PREFERS ATTACKING FOOTBALL

HE HAS A SENSE OF HUMOUR

HE WILL BE A BREATH OF FRESH AIR

 

So, just like Ollie but with a lesser CV.

Agree totally on all those will be needed to be the Sheffield Wednesday manager.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Especially the good sense of humour when he sees Chansiri contract offer 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

I could get behind the contacts point if it were not for the fact that cook had gotten hold of some really good loans at Wigan.

 

The "tactically stronger" argument is a disrespectful comment, no reason why managers who have worked their way up through the Leagues successfully cannot be very strong tactically.

 

In fact you could argue when you are managing a club like wigan competing at a lever where your resources are less than your competitors then you need to be tactically better than your peers to complete/survive. 

 

I don't bey for a minute that a manager like Scott Parker is a tactical genius but he got Fulham promotion by having a much better squad with more resources than other teams.

 

What wilder achieved at the blades getting them up and staying up was every bit as impressive tactically and coaching wise than the "tactical god" that bielsa is made out to be at Leeds and wilder like cook worked his was up having sucess at Every level and knew league inside and out.


All fair enough. I just have this nagging feeling that we’ll get more of the same with Cook. I’d rather us go for someone a bit more unorthodox in their approach 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:


All fair enough. I just have this nagging feeling that we’ll get more of the same with Cook. I’d rather us go for someone a bit more unorthodox in their approach 

Time will tell but personally can't see any comparison between monk, pulis Jos, and cook, cooks philosophy is polar opposite to those 3.

 

Not grabbing cook whilst he is available IMO would be a major mistake.

 

I would wager that in next 5 years Cook will take a club up from this division and we may be kicking ourselves thinking"why didn't we get him in when we had the opportunity"

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Time will tell but personally can't see any comparison between monk, pulis Jos, and cook, cooks philosophy is polar opposite to those 3.

 

Not grabbing cook whilst he is available IMO would be a major mistake.

 

I would wager that in next 5 years Cook will take a club up from this division and we may be kicking ourselves thinking"why didn't we get him in when we had the opportunity"


Absolutely. He will manage in the Premier League. He wants the job and we’re not going to give it him. Classic Wednesday.

 

We’ll end up with some random foreign bloke who’s managed about 24 clubs in 3 years or Chris Coleman. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Honestly, do you really think we can do better? 

 

Captain dipsh*t cannot even pay his players on time atm.

 

This is what it comes down to. Whatever we might think of Cook, I doubt there will be many interested who are demonstrably much better. It seems some posters need to think about the situation the club is in right now, both on and off the pitch.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:


Absolutely. He will manage in the Premier League. He wants the job and we’re not going to give it him. Classic Wednesday.

 

We’ll end up with some random foreign bloke who’s managed about 24 clubs in 3 years or Chris Coleman. 


exactly this. Chansiri yet again will get bad advice and make a terrible decision. Cook should already had been given the job. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Time will tell but personally can't see any comparison between monk, pulis Jos, and cook, cooks philosophy is polar opposite to those 3.

 

Not grabbing cook whilst he is available IMO would be a major mistake.

 

I would wager that in next 5 years Cook will take a club up from this division and we may be kicking ourselves thinking"why didn't we get him in when we had the opportunity"

I've said previously in this thread that Cook reminds me of Dean Smith and Sean Dyche in a lot of ways. I remember reading on here people not wanting Smith when he was at Brentford. Notably Smith also applied/started his trade in the lower leagues too, in League 1 with Walsall. He was with them for 4 years and improved them each season, then Brentford paid a fee for him and after a few seasons so did Villa after the bruce sacking. He's managed about 4 seasons in the Championship and got promoted. Cook has managed 2 and improved Wigan in them, I'm not saying Cook will get promoted here haha. I wouldn't mind a few managers that are linked including Cook and some foreign managers too etc. but I hope we get an appointment soon, hopefully today or tomorrow.  


"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

 

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

I've said previously in this thread that Cook reminds me of Dean Smith and Sean Dyche in a lot of ways. I remember reading on here people not wanting Smith when he was at Brentford. Notably Smith also applied/started his trade in the lower leagues too, in League 1 with Walsall. He was with them for 4 years and improved them each season, then Brentford paid a fee for him and after a few seasons so did Villa after the bruce sacking. He's managed about 4 seasons in the Championship and got promoted. Cook has managed 2 and improved Wigan in them, I'm not saying Cook will get promoted here haha. I wouldn't mind a few managers that are linked including Cook and some foreign managers too etc. but I hope we get an appointment soon, hopefully today or tomorrow.  

Spot on, he is sort of manager on the rise that you would usually have to pay s fee for to poach from a smaller club, because of unusual circumstances at Wigan he is available and for me is a no brainer at moment to bring in to build something

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Spot on, he is sort of manager on the rise that you would usually have to pay s fee for to poach from a smaller club, because of unusual circumstances at Wigan he is available and for me is a no brainer at moment to bring in to build something

I had another post again in this thread that was more in depth and it kinda covered this too. Cook as been poached from Accrington Stanley (League 2) by Chesterfield (got them promoted in nearly 2 full seasons and finished the first season in L1 in 6th, in the Play Offs.) Then by Portsmouth in L2 (got them promoted in 2 seasons.) Then finally by Wigan who just got relegated from the Championship (got them promoted in 1 season and beat Premier League West Ham, Bournemouth and Man City in a FA Cup run.)    


"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

 

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

 

Why would it be a 'mistake' to appoint a manager from overseas? 

 

In the Premier League, the bottom 7 clubs all have a British manager and 6 of the top 7 one from overseas. 

 

In our division, there are only 6 foreign bosses but 4 of them are at clubs in the top 6, including the current leaders.

I don’t know the answer to this but it would be interesting to do the same analysis of the championship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

I could get behind the contacts point if it were not for the fact that cook had gotten hold of some really good loans at Wigan.

 

He brought in Ivan Toney on loan to Wigan from Nrwcastke 3 years ago 

He must have seen some potential there.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BIG D said:

I would imagine our manager contracts are good, I can’t imagine Bruce or Pulis working for peanuts.

 

I think Bruce would have worked for peanuts

 

and Walnuts

 

and Brazil Nuts

 

and Cadbury's Whole Nut

 

and Fruit & Nut

 

The fat knacker

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest gizowl
5 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Heading towards 5 days after Cook was meant to have spoken to the club. Not looking promising is it?

Chansiri and his f.. K wit advisors couldn't pick a winner in a one horse race. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

I could get behind the contacts point if it were not for the fact that cook had gotten hold of some really good loans at Wigan.

 

The "tactically stronger" argument is a disrespectful comment, no reason why managers who have worked their way up through the Leagues successfully cannot be very strong tactically.

 

In fact you could argue when you are managing a club like wigan competing at a lever where your resources are less than your competitors then you need to be tactically better than your peers to complete/survive. 

 

I don't bey for a minute that a manager like Scott Parker is a tactical genius but he got Fulham promotion by having a much better squad with more resources than other teams.

 

What wilder achieved at the blades getting them up and staying up was every bit as impressive tactically and coaching wise than the "tactical god" that bielsa is made out to be at Leeds and wilder like cook worked his was up having sucess at Every level and knew league inside and out.

Hate the word ‘gotten’

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So we have a guy who,s teams play front foot football  ,  who has several promotions on his CV ,  who has a good eye for a player / loan deal  ,   who has good knowledge of league 1 and 2 players (vital given that we are skint)  ,  who is upbeat and positive (vital for the club AND squad after the dishcloth trio of Jos/Monk/Pulis)  ,   who managed to acrue more championship points at a club that went bust than WE managed last year .................................and crucially is begging for the job.

 

 

Nah............................i tell you what , lets appoint a "foreigner" who will need at least a month to assess our squad , by which time the window will be shut , will have no idea about our opponents , and will take another month implementing his "style"......................................by which time we will probably be relegated and he will fly back to eastern europe a whole lot richer.

 

Or even worse we appoint Chris Coleman who also has several promotions on his CV............oh , wait.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...