On 10/01/2021 at 15:08, JOHNHARKES said:

Most reliable poster is @Semedo's ferret

Yeah I remember him, he hasn't been on since the 31st of October though, hope he's doing alright?

4 hours ago, Markowski77 said:

We’ve had 3 people claim they know who the next manager is in the last 72 hours 

- Paul Cook 

- Olic

- Neil Thompson 

Someone’s got to be wrong 

My bet is it’s going to be the foreign route , and the person it’s going to be isn’t even on the betting list 

Who's Olic, and who are the people who are claiming him and Thompson? I know Ivić is one being claimed from the Ivić thread though. 

Guest wilyfox

Whether it’s Cook or not, DC needs to be decisive this week. New guy in or give it Thompson rest of season. His prerogative. Next two weeks must be about player recruitment. 

31 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

Would prefer cook . Knows the league knows how the league works, knows the players in it and what they can offer? He does seem to sign decent players develop them and has an eye for good loan players, having said all that wouldn’t surprise me if he stuck with Thompson he’s cheapest option and the longer it goes on that’s the way I’ll think it’ll go

I keep seeing this from advocates for Cook getting the job but exactly the same quality's applied to Monk & Pulis, look where that’s got us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mogbad said:

I keep seeing this from advocates for Cook getting the job but exactly the same quality's applied to Monk & Pulis, look where that’s got us.

Cook got a lot better cv and to be fair win more than pulis has done aswell? Rather have cook than some foreign coach coming in at this stage of the season ? Pre season with a full transfer window no problem 

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

I'm sorry but giving the job to Thompson would be the worst thing he could do.

Didn’t say it was the right thing to do? Just I could see dc doing exactly that? Esp with the team winning last few games dc even said to pulis have a go at play offs ? Lives in dream land 

• Thanks 1

Mogbad said in a post:

"I keep seeing this from advocates for Cook getting the job but exactly the same quality's applied to Monk & Pulis, look where that’s got us"

But Monk had zero promotions on his CV.  He had no track record of achievement or success.

26 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

Cook got a lot better cv and to be fair win more than pulis has done aswell? Rather have cook than some foreign coach coming in at this stage of the season ? Pre season with a full transfer window no problem 

Cook has less experience in the Championship than Monk & Pulis, he might have a better win percentage than Pulis but the majority of Cooks matches were in Leagues 1 & 2 whereas Pulis has managed hundreds of matches in the Premier.

Cook might ultimately be the best choice but our last 2 managers have proved that knowledge of the Championship & it’s players isn’t necessarily a requirement for success.

I do agree that a foreign coach would be better in the summer.

Edited by mogbad
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Cook has less experience in the Championship than Monk & Pulis, he might have a better win percentage than Pulis but the majority of Cooks matches were in Leagues 1 & 2 whereas Pulis has managed hundreds of matches in the Premier.

Cook might ultimately be the best choice but our last 2 managers have proved that knowledge of the Championship & it’s players isn’t necessarily a requirement for success.

I do agree that a foreign coach would be better in the summer.

Just a question who would you go for? I’ve said cook cus I honestly believe he’ll leave us in a better position than he find us in? Never wanted pulis and monk did wot he done at other clubs ? Start well then run out of ideas? Cook although your right hasn’t managed in the championship a lot got Wigan playing football we ain’t seen for 2/3 seasons? A lot of the players he had there bought for small fees gone for big money? 

• Thanks 1

If we are only offering a 5 month contract until the end of the season I think we will be limited to the options of people willing to take the job on. Even Cook I should imagine would want more security than that deal. All sign lead to Thompson until end of year in my opinion unless results dictate otherwise.

Just now, Yorksowl said:

I'm not saying its right or wrong, but why would it be the worse thing the chairman would do. Personally I think he could do far worse and not much better in appointing Thompson till the end of the season. Longer the season goes on, more of a choice of manager there will be. I think the majority of the team are playing to their max, which really isnt good enough for championship level. Why would a new  man improve that situation, he wouldnt know the players, their attributes, weaknesses, strengths etc. The main issue, again only my opinion, is the lack of quality within the squad. We really havent the time again for a new manager to experiment. Thompson and the current backroom team know the squad inside out..

I just think whilst we have won 2/2 under Thompson, its exactly the same line up and formation/tactics that Pulis went with. Soon as we lose a couple on the bounce I don't think Thompson would have a clue how to turn things round, has he even ever been a first team coach before. I think the players would throw him under the bus as soon as things started going wrong. He wouldn't have the authority to give them a good roasting if needed as such.

• Thanks 1

Cook has held talks. Certain people not keen on him and taking ages to make a decision. Question is whether Cook is willing to wait for a decision to be made. 
Reliable source.

Really hope we don’t let this one slip through the net. But would be typically of Wednesday under DC to dither over an appointment and leave it too late. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

I just think whilst we have won 2/2 under Thompson, its exactly the same line up and formation/tactics that Pulis went with. Soon as we lose a couple on the bounce I don't think Thompson would have a clue how to turn things round, has he even ever been a first team coach before. I think the players would throw him under the bus as soon as things started going wrong. He wouldn't have the authority to give them a good roasting if needed as such.

I think it’s a possibility that he may struggle to turn it around, but there are no guarantees that anyone would. An experienced manager like Pulis couldn’t, but at least it may not cost Chansiri as much.