Jump to content

The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)


Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

No way we can afford ,2 mew keepers. But one is essential.

If both Dawson and Wildsmith go then I don't see why not. Even if it means one on a free and one on loan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

Keep seeing comments like these. Now obviously as owner and the man signing the cheques Chansiri would have the final say on contracts. That’s the same at every club. But we must be the only club where fans think the manager has no input into signings or contracts. 

Do you really believe that Monk would have no imput whatsoever into Dawson’s contract? 

Do you believe he had no imput whatsoever into last summers signings ( despite being quoted numerous times as saying he did?)

I think Monk or whoever would have input to their assessment of any player then it’s over to the Agent and the club to negotiate term and money etc , 

Do you think that Monk , Pulis and Moore told the club not to give Shaw and Uroghide no more than a year deal ?

 

Funny how it’s Monk et al fault for Dawson but the clubs for Shaw and Uroghide 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Philb125 said:


Don’t you think it’s the fact of better defenders and two holding midfielders in England team that sets a solid base maybe?

 

I’m not sure any keeper looks good sat behind our defence last season, especially if your midfield is so light with Bannan at heart of it. Even Westwood last year looked average at best with worse stats than Dawson.

 

Now, I’m not sure if either Dawson or Wildsmith are good enough, but they’ve hardly had an opportunity to thrive in last season or two. Mix and match formations and defensive combinations, injuries to key defensive figures, multiple managers, wages messed about with…. It’s little wonder why they’ve not played to their potential.

 

I often read how it’s not Bannan’s fault we don’t score more as the players who score arn’t up to it, but never read it’s not keepers fault we don’t concede less as the defenders/defensive players arn’t up to it. 
 

I’m hopeful, whoever is out keeper this year benefits from: settled formation, better defenders/defensive players, consistent manager etc etc. Hopefully our fans don’t get on their back either. 

Whilst I agree that last season didn’t help anyone, and it must have been horrible for the two keepers. It doesn’t really cover up for the mistakes. Both were prone to them before last season when they played, and have already started this seasons games with howlers. It’s a shame because they are local lads, but you can excuse a couple of howlers a season ( even Pickford) but both are making bad mistakes in more or less every game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

Keep seeing comments like these. Now obviously as owner and the man signing the cheques Chansiri would have the final say on contracts. That’s the same at every club. But we must be the only club where fans think the manager has no input into signings or contracts. 

Do you really believe that Monk would have no imput whatsoever into Dawson’s contract? 

Do you believe he had no imput whatsoever into last summers signings ( despite being quoted numerous times as saying he did?)

Apparently Dawson wanted a 2 year deal on 5k a week but Monk doubled it. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Ray Von shabba said:

Not going to be a popular comment but I would rather Westwood been given a one year reduced salary contract than not get anyone it at all.

 

I agree but the amount of games we’d get from Westwood probably didn’t justify a new deal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

If both Dawson and Wildsmith go then I don't see why not. Even if it means one on a free and one on loan.

Think we need to prioritize 2 strikers over 2 keepers when budget is limited 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Will be a disaster if we go in to the new season without a new number one. 

We will be a lot worse if our only attacking options are windass and Paterson.

 

We need strikers as we have none at the club.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, sacré bleu said:

I think it must have been Att that gave Dawson that new contract.

No it was Monk , He did it just after he cleaned the toilet block at the training ground just before he made lunch for everyone 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

Think we need to prioritize 2 strikers over 2 keepers when budget is limited 

Makes sense, as we have 'keepers' on the books and no strikers.

But wouldn't it be nice to have 2 of each who are more than just a number.

 

Edited by Ray Von shabba
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

No it was Monk , He did it just after he cleaned the toilet block at the training ground just before he made lunch for everyone 

 

And I heard he didn’t wash his hands 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/07/2021 at 16:50, jonesy87shef said:


Where are the goals in this side?

 

Was pointed out by many on here last pre season that we weren’t singing any players that will get us goals. Looking at that side we’d be very dependant on clean sheets to be getting wins.

I agree we need a striker or two 

 

but we’ve added in midfield and out wide that gives us more drive 

 

a change in mentality and playing against a lesser opposition 

 

plus we are still adding to this team 

 

for people to be speaking about relegation is a bit dramatic in my opinion 

 

I can see windass alone scoring 15 plus this season, green and that new lad from Oxford will add much more to this team this season that Harris did to us last season 

 

to think this squad is in the worst three of the division is a little daft 

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, fpowl said:

I agree we need a striker or two 

 

but we’ve added in midfield and out wide that gives us more drive 

 

a change in mentality and playing against a lesser opposition 

 

plus we are still adding to this team 

 

for people to be speaking about relegation is a bit dramatic in my opinion 

 

I can see windass alone scoring 15 plus this season, green and that new lad from Oxford will add much more to this team this season that Harris did to us last season 

 

to think this squad is in the worst three of the division is a little daft 

 

 

Erm, wasn't that what was said last season......that went well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, fpowl said:

I agree we need a striker or two 

 

but we’ve added in midfield and out wide that gives us more drive 

 

a change in mentality and playing against a lesser opposition 

 

plus we are still adding to this team 

 

for people to be speaking about relegation is a bit dramatic in my opinion 

 

I can see windass alone scoring 15 plus this season, green and that new lad from Oxford will add much more to this team this season that Harris did to us last season 

 

to think this squad is in the worst three of the division is a little daft 

 

 

We have a team that did not win a single game last season when they conceded the first goal, we only scored more than 1 goal in a game, 8 times in 46 games and we lost 2 of those games.

 

We had a squad with the mental strength of a 4 year old. We have released 14 players and so far signed just 3 kids with barely any league experience.

 

You think players that didnt perform last season will suddenly score goals because its a lower division. Windass has once in his whole career got more than 10 goals in English football, Paterson has never scored more than 11 in any season, Bannan has not scored a goal from a free kick or open play in 59 matches. Green has played 300 minutes of football in 12 months.

 

But yes the lad from QPR did play well, playing at Oxford a team that scored nearly double what we managed last season.

 

Rubbish players, dont suddenly become good playing lower league football, if they did every team relegated would be promoted straight back every season.

 

I would be very happy if we stayed midtable because an injury or two and we are praying some of the kids come good.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, room0035 said:

We have a team that did not win a single game last season when they conceded the first goal, we only scored more than 1 goal in a game, 8 times in 46 games and we lost 2 of those games.

 

We had a squad with the mental strength of a 4 year old. We have released 14 players and so far signed just 3 kids with barely any league experience.

 

You think players that didnt perform last season will suddenly score goals because its a lower division. Windass has once in his whole career got more than 10 goals in English football, Paterson has never scored more than 11 in any season, Bannan has not scored a goal from a free kick or open play in 59 matches. Green has played 300 minutes of football in 12 months.

 

But yes the lad from QPR did play well, playing at Oxford a team that scored nearly double what we managed last season.

 

Rubbish players, dont suddenly become good playing lower league football, if they did every team relegated would be promoted straight back every season.

 

I would be very happy if we stayed midtable because an injury or two and we are praying some of the kids come good.

Momentum is a big thing in football. It can make even average players look and play great.

We started the season last season in such negative circumstances and had numerous different manager changes with numerous different ways of playing. 

If we keep hold of our better players and start the season well along with no more off the field issues. I think you maybe surprised just how well we may do.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...