The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

8 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

Not sure like someone posted earlier hunt much more suited to wing back role? And would be best Rb still if we play back 4? As long as we get a good striker in think we’ll finish top half but let’s hope we have got targets lined up and we not scatter gunning again 

If we had a striker or a keeper lined up they would already have been here, we had two left backs on trial then sign another from Huddersfield reserves.

We have been linked with 4 or 5 keepers and signed none which suggest we probably don't have an coming in in the next week and as for the striker front, every team pretty much in league one have signed forwards and attacking players and we have signed none. Either we have no targets and we are using the tried and tested failure route of paying over the odds for crap loan players who will add little to the team other than increasing the wage bill.

Last season alone we wasted the best part of £2m on Marriott, Brown and Flint while letting young talent such as Urhoghide and Shaw leave for a fraction of what we wasted on loan players. I hope we go no where near premiership loans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Disagree. Iorfa is not a right back anymore. He will be used as a centre back.

We still need right back cover, and just because we have other more pressing positions doesn’t mean we should neglect an opportunity to sign a right back when it is still required.

The young lads are nowhere near ready from what I’ve seen. They need loan spells which I hope the club are exploring as this is always the best way to nurture young talent. 

We can't or shouldn't be able to afford two experienced highly paid players for each position.

And while I agree that Iorfa is a CB and should be played there, we are still heavy in numbers at RB while we are struggling in other positions. We are in financial problems and will have to gamble on youngsters stepping in and doing the job. If you are talking about youngsters performing so far in pre-season than you could say the same about 75% of our first team squad.

For those moaning about signing a right back instead of a GK and striker, can we at least wait until the transfer window shuts before slating the club. I’m sure Darren Moore is well aware of the need to sign players in those positions but sometimes you have to wait until the ones you want become available. If in the meantime you can strengthen in other areas than surely that’s what we should be doing?

Edited by swfc1983
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

True. Only thing is you can't calaculate the order that you sign players. Some deals are faster than others. Who's to say we aren't speaking with 5 Gks and 5 Strikers and 1 RB. It just so happens that the RB deal is the one that gets sorted quicker. 

Let's hope so!

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

If we sign Hunt that suggests one or two of our current defenders are leaving?

Or we are getting desperate and just signing any ex player with an owls link. Wait for Jacob Butterfield and George Boyd incoming.

lol

Jack Hunt does not exactly fit the young and hungry team we were told we were building though.

8 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

For those moaning about signing a right back instead of a GK and striker, can we at least wait until the transfer window shuts before slating the club. I’m sure Darren Moore is well aware of the need to sign players in those positions but sometimes you have to wait until the ones you want become available. If in the meantime you can strengthen in other areas than surely that’s what we should be doing?

Window closes 31st August, we'd have played 6 competitive games by then in league and cup. Hope we have some strikers and a competent GK before then. 

Less than a fortnight until the first of those games to recruit at both ends of the pitch, get some fitness in them and some tactical work. 

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Or we are getting desperate and just signing any ex player with an owls link. Wait for Jacob Butterfield and George Boyd incoming.

lol

Jack Hunt does not exactly fit the young and hungry team we were told we were building though.

You need some balance and experience, solid established back line to enable the young and hungry to go and attack?

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

Its not negativity its called realism, we have a team that finished 24th out of 24th we have released 14 players (12 + 2 loans) and signed just 3 kids only one of them last league one experience. We have issues over fitness of a number of the 15 players we have Iorfa, Hutch and Luongo. We have other players such as Borner who clearer want to be anywhere but here and players such as Green and Dawson who have barely played a game for 6 months.

Add to that we need a competent keeper and at least 2 strikers (for the hard of hearing that's strikers not midfielders playing up front as we have in Paterson and Windass) this is just to have a competitive starting 11 with little to no back up. Should we get any injuries which after the first 3 friendlies are already starting to pile up - I believe Windass was the latest to hobble off on Saturday. 

There seems to be a blind belief on here that players who were not good enough for the championship are going to walk league one because its a lower league. We all support the team but reinforcements of at least league one standard are needed now not in 6 weeks as the window shuts. The team is currently going to spend most of the season at the wrong end of the table, we cannot keep clean sheets because of problems at the back and very real fitness concerns and other than Windass and maybe the lad on loan we have zero goal threat. This again is not negativity, it is what we have had from the same group of players for the last 2 season.

So we are thinking we could do similar to Hull who got relegated released a load of players, kept players that apparently weren’t good enough for the championship, had a keeper that shipped loads then walked league 1?

How are they the same group of players if we’ve released 14 of them? Maybe those 14 were the issue? I’m pretty sure we won’t just be bringing in 3 new players. 

We struggled for goals in the division above we are in a league with a lot less quality now and competitiveness. The championship is probably the most competitive league in the world. We will be challenging for the top 6 next season and should get in it even with the squad we have now. 

• Like 1

Maybe we have a keeper and a couple of strikers lined up. But they don’t want to sign until August 1st as they are milking their current clubs for that last month of wages. Same as Reach et al are apparently doing?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm not sure I will!

:duntmatter:

50 years ago, Trevor Francis scored a lot of goals when he was a youngster.

Quite what this tells us about Bailey Cadamarteri half a century later, I'm not so sure.

Think he got 15 not even loads 

1 minute ago, Plonk said:

Maybe we have a keeper and a couple of strikers lined up. But they don’t want to sign until August 1st as they are milking their current clubs for that last month of wages. Same as Reach et al are apparently doing?

Fair point, but they'd still get their wages topped up and considering our first competitive game is 1st August, does that show enough commitment to a new employer?