The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

3 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

i know what you mean , im Sure Moore is on with the others , but got to remember Palmer can play lb and has done , then Dawodu only a young lad so if Palmer got injured we would be reliant on someone who’s never played . This could give dawodu a chance to go on loan to maybe league 2 For example 

Agree with that, A loan for Dawodu would be a good idea if possible. But, in L1 unaffordable to have experienced players on first team money as cover for every position. It's a financial reality that we may have a senior player as first choice and younger player as back up. 

That said, I can see why Hunt would impending be the team.

My concern is if it takes away from the budget in other more pressing areas of the pitch 

As we stand...

2 x goalkeepers (neither competent)

8 x defenders

11 x midfielders

0 x Strikers

Plus Patterson (whatever you classify him as)

14 minutes ago, striker said:

He is, but we've got two RB's already, no competent GK and zero strikers. 

I'm not against him coming back, but desperately need other areas of the pitch resolving which are more important than signing our third RB. 

I'm pretty sure they haven't downed tools re other signings in order to sign Jack Hunt. And we will need a full squad for this division. A bit of strength in depth. Multi-tasking innit?

Edited by rickygoo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, striker said:

I'm not against him coming back, but desperately need other areas of the pitch resolving which are more important than signing our third RB. 

4th chose if you included Iorfa, Palmer and Dawodu, but we have no strikers.

This signing if true sounds like the scatter gun panic approach of old, don't sign the players we need just sign anyone who available.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

This signing if true sounds like the scatter gun panic approach of old, don't sign the players we need just sign anyone who available.

but by that logic we have 4 strikes then if you include adedoyin, windass Paterson and hagan ,

dawodu is young and never played a game and iorfa Is really a cb who can cover , I. Understand your point but don’t think it’s particularly too much overload in that area 

7 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

And if if doesn't?

It doesn't matter what order the players arrive; just that they do eventually arrive.

We know Moore wants a 'keeper and a striker or two, but if he also thinks we need a stronger right-back, then we'd be daft to turn down Hunt, assuming he's willing to re-join.

If we've got players lined up and money in the budget, it's a no brainer. 

But do we have players  lined up and money available?

The season starts in less than a fortnight and we've nothing at either end of the pitch. I recognise they are difficult positions to recruit, but thought there would be more urgency to such crucial positions.

3 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

I dunno, he got 2 goals and 2 assists last year - Palmer, in a side that struggled to score goals, got 1 goal and 2 assists. 

If Moore likes him then I'm all for it, but don't really see the point with an established RB in the squad.

Hunt's all-round game is way ahead of Palmer's.

There's a reason he was first choice when he was here before.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Not sure like someone posted earlier hunt much more suited to wing back role? And would be best Rb still if we play back 4? As long as we get a good striker in think we’ll finish top half but let’s hope we have got targets lined up and we not scatter gunning again 

Just now, striker said:

If we've got players lined up and money in the budget, it's a no brainer. 

But do we have players  lined up and money available?

The season starts in less than a fortnight and we've nothing at either end of the pitch. I recognise they are difficult positions to recruit, but thought there would be more urgency to such crucial positions.

I'm sure Moore and the recruitment team are doing what they can to get the players they want, but these things don't always run smoothly.

What matters is having the best players it was possible to attract in place by the close of the transfer window, as frustrating as that might be for us as fans.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That would be a great signing.

He's only 30, has been an ever-present for Bristol City since leaving us, and as we well know, is a cut above our current options at right-back.

I'd take Jack Hunt on a free if we were still a Championship club; in League One, it's a no-brainer.

Hunt never wanted to leave loved it here. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

IF this turns out to be true ( about hunt)looks like we probably have striker targets and pos keeper lined up? Probably loans from prem and it’ll be after season starts that they’ll arrive when they trim their squads? Happy with that cus it shows we mite av a bigger budget than we think? ( wages) but the concern is we don’t land who we want and are left short like last season? Regarding hunt I think great signing esp for league one 

I am hoping that this is correct, just a timing issue around bringing strikers in

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm sure Moore and the recruitment team are doing what they can to get the players they want, but these things don't always run smoothly.

What matters is having the best players it was possible to attract in place by the close of the transfer window, as frustrating as that might be for us as fans.

Let's hope so, can have all the RB's in the world but if the GK's can't catch and have no strikers to score, it's going to be a struggle.

Let's hope there will be some.more news on strikers and Hunt et al will have someone to cross the ball to.

6 minutes ago, room0035 said:

All true.

We have Palmer who is supposed to be good enough for League One, we have  Dawodu and Farmer as couple of talented right backs, Iorfa, Brennan and Thompson who can all play there.

Right back is LAST position we should look to spend little money that we have on, especially while we don't have single out and out striker.

Bringing Hunt in makes some sense only if Palmer leaves.

• Like 2

Just now, malek said:

All true.

We have Palmer who is supposed to be good enough for League One, we have  Dawodu and Farmer as couple of talented right backs, Iorfa, Brennan and Thompson who can all play there.

Right back is LAST position we should look to spend little money that we have on, especially while we don't have single out and out striker.

Unless we are getting rid of Palmer and loaning out one of the youngsters?

Loved Hunt when he played for us, him and Wallace and their relationship on that side was a big reason for our success in 15/16 and 16/17. 30 years old, so if the wages are sensible and a deal can be done, will be good for some experience there.

25 minutes ago, striker said:

True. Only thing is you can't calaculate the order that you sign players. Some deals are faster than others. Who's to say we aren't speaking with 5 Gks and 5 Strikers and 1 RB. It just so happens that the RB deal is the one that gets sorted quicker. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, malek said:

All true.

Disagree. Iorfa is not a right back anymore. He will be used as a centre back.

We still need right back cover, and just because we have other more pressing positions doesn’t mean we should neglect an opportunity to sign a right back when it is still required.

The young lads are nowhere near ready from what I’ve seen. They need loan spells which I hope the club are exploring as this is always the best way to nurture young talent. 

• Like 1