The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

3 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

Hopefully we aren’t reliant on moving one out to get another in. A new GK is a must wether the other two stay or leave.

Me too, not an option though IMO because at the moment we can't field a competitive team without a competent GK....or any strikers at all!

3 minutes ago, Jim said:

Just as I thought. Unless we can move one out, we can’t get another one in. Trouble is I can’t see any takers for either. Monk’s really done us over giving Dawson a FOUR YEAR contract. Who their right mind would give a keeper of Dawson’s ability a long term contract?

Monk wasn't handing out contracts; that was Chansiri.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jim said:

Just as I thought. Unless we can move one out, we can’t get another one in. Trouble is I can’t see any takers for either. Monk’s really done us over giving Dawson a FOUR YEAR contract. Who their right mind would give a keeper of Dawson’s ability a long term contract?

Yeh it was Monks fault , he took over Admin duties on his days off 

FFS

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Yeh it was Monks fault , he took over Admin duties on his days off 

FFS

Keep seeing comments like these. Now obviously as owner and the man signing the cheques Chansiri would have the final say on contracts. That’s the same at every club. But we must be the only club where fans think the manager has no input into signings or contracts. 

Do you really believe that Monk would have no imput whatsoever into Dawson’s contract? 

Do you believe he had no imput whatsoever into last summers signings ( despite being quoted numerous times as saying he did?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Think Sunderland have enquired about availability of griffiths , be surprised if he ended up in L1, if he did he’d surely be looking at 20 goals 

Griffiths is an absolute mess. Not worth the risk with his off the field problems and he is way past his best. It’s a shame because the laddie could play but his demons have had a majorly negative impact on his career.

Not sure if it’s 100% but my mate who is an Aberdeen ST holder said he’d heard they were interested in signing him alongside Scott Brown but Brown told them under no circumstances to sign him.

36 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Keep seeing comments like these. Now obviously as owner and the man signing the cheques Chansiri would have the final say on contracts. That’s the same at every club. But we must be the only club where fans think the manager has no input into signings or contracts. 

Do you really believe that Monk would have no imput whatsoever into Dawson’s contract? 

Do you believe he had no imput whatsoever into last summers signings ( despite being quoted numerous times as saying he did?)

Totally agree mate. I’ve seen a few things on-line suggesting Moore has TOTAL CONTROL over recruitment. Only time will tell I suppose but given our recent history I think there will always be suspicion amongst the fan base as to who’s call at the club it really is to make decisions on signings/sales/contracts?

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Personally I rate Wildsmith slightly more than Dawson. Whatever happens we just need a new number one ASAP. 

Both of them should go. Both need a fresh start as do we as a club.

Keepers have a knock on affect. You only have to look at Pickford's contrasting ability for club and country. For England he is great and the defence is calm, whereas for Everton he has been a mess and it has a knock on effect.

2 new keepers are essential for us. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, jp1981 said:

Keepers have a knock on affect. You only have to look at Pickford's contrasting ability for club and country. For England he is great and the defence is calm, whereas for Everton he has been a mess and it has a knock on effect.

No way we can afford ,2 mew keepers. But one is essential.

2 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

Are you sure it's that way around. If the keeper is the same it's more likely it's the defences that cause the difference.

I'm in full agreement though that a shakey keeper will unsettle any defence. We can't give this pair any more time to develop if we want to challenge this year.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

Don’t you think it’s the fact of better defenders and two holding midfielders in England team that sets a solid base maybe?

I’m not sure any keeper looks good sat behind our defence last season, especially if your midfield is so light with Bannan at heart of it. Even Westwood last year looked average at best with worse stats than Dawson.

Now, I’m not sure if either Dawson or Wildsmith are good enough, but they’ve hardly had an opportunity to thrive in last season or two. Mix and match formations and defensive combinations, injuries to key defensive figures, multiple managers, wages messed about with…. It’s little wonder why they’ve not played to their potential.

I often read how it’s not Bannan’s fault we don’t score more as the players who score arn’t up to it, but never read it’s not keepers fault we don’t concede less as the defenders/defensive players arn’t up to it. 

I’m hopeful, whoever is out keeper this year benefits from: settled formation, better defenders/defensive players, consistent manager etc etc. Hopefully our fans don’t get on their back either. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Don’t you think it’s the fact of better defenders and two holding midfielders in England team that sets a solid base maybe?

I’m not sure any keeper looks good sat behind our defence last season, especially if your midfield is so light with Bannan at heart of it. Even Westwood last year looked average at best with worse stats than Dawson.

Now, I’m not sure if either Dawson or Wildsmith are good enough, but they’ve hardly had an opportunity to thrive in last season or two. Mix and match formations and defensive combinations, injuries to key defensive figures, multiple managers, wages messed about with…. It’s little wonder why they’ve not played to their potential.

I often read how it’s not Bannan’s fault we don’t score more as the players who score arn’t up to it, but never read it’s not keepers fault we don’t concede less as the defenders/defensive players arn’t up to it. 

I’m hopeful, whoever is out keeper this year benefits from: settled formation, better defenders/defensive players, consistent manager etc etc. Hopefully our fans don’t get on their back either. 

Sorry, perhaps wasn't the best example. But you get the gist. If a keeper is confident, you tend to have a defence which is calm and doesn't panic regardless of how good they are.

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Personally I rate Wildsmith slightly more than Dawson. Whatever happens we just need a new number one ASAP. 

Definitely seen better performances from Wildsmith coming in from the cold than we have from Dawson. Makes him the better option as a number two for me. Dawson is consistently error prone and saps the confidence out of the defence whenever he plays.

• Like 1