Imagine getting promoted and then having to watch stuff like this every week?

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I disagree

Right now, any distraction from the misery that is SWFC would probably go down well with the majority.

The incident at Villa reminded me of how badly we fuck3d up. I’m sure Solly March was in Brighton’s team that gave us a run for our money in the place off semi. The following season they got automatic promotion, beating us twice along the way. Whilst we contrived to go defensive against a team we’d beaten 4 times in 2 seasons.

• Like 1

VAR is made for armchair fans, its absolutely dreadful for the fans in the ground, there's nothing finer even if you 5 nil down at the time than seeing the ball hit the back of the net, if you've then got to cast your eyes towards a screen for someone to actually tell you it was a goal or not takes away whats kept us going back time and again, the Premier League is strangling the life out of the game and will kill it before long.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, toppOwl said:

VAR is made for armchair fans, its absolutely dreadful for the fans in the ground, there's nothing finer even if you 5 nil down at the time than seeing the ball hit the back of the net, if you've then got to cast your eyes towards a screen for someone to actually tell you it was a goal or not takes away whats kept us going back time and again, the Premier League is strangling the life out of the game and will kill it before long.

Problem is clubs in the prem don't need fans to turn up and sky don't even like them because they are at the match and not paying them to watch it at home . What sky gives them far outweighs all prem clubs match day tickets so whatever sky wants for people at home at the expense of the paying fan then sky gets . Give me decent competitive side in the championship and you can keep your computerised , armchair loving prem . 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Var was brought in cos all the big names in the game wanted it.

Now they all think it was shyte idea but just blame every other foooker, mostly the ref..

He should have a look, he should have stuck with what he thought...blah blah blah.

Sometimes it's not possible to spot a dive..the 'big' names are ace at it, they must practice em.

Should be actors some of them..

Tbh, football in the prem is very often boring as foook, cheating is the norm.

Even motd pundits often say, any touch in the area go down.

I think the chase for the top prize is better than actually being there.

Much like the Crazy Daizy in the late 70's

🤔😆

• Thanks 1

On 22/11/2020 at 00:08, Groundhopping Owl said:

Just watched Match of the Day, and despite the fact that it's been part of my routine for nearly two decades I'm not sure how much longer I'll go on with it. The Premier League truly depresses me.

I haven't been watching it nearly as long or consistently as you, but I have stopped. I tried to start watching it all again last weekend and on Saturday I was looking at the clock when it was only on for 1 hour.

The things I don't like are that we have no fans. It feels like I'm watching a fifa game with the crowd sounds as well, it's just silly.

Var, just get rid of it now. I could do a full list with the problems with it, but I can't be bothered.

Diving/play acting is another and it still happens/works when we have var.

Most of the refs we have are crap.

I don't know what the rules are now with all the changes what are happening all the time.

Finally it's motd it's self, the pundits are just dull/boring ect. now. I only watched the Liverpool vs Leicester and Sheffield United vs West Ham matches on Sunday as I couldn't take all of the above anymore and that danny murphy and micah richards were on. Richards is ok sometimes, but gets annoying after a bit. I don't know how he got the pundit job though.  

I really like some of the best players in the world playing in our top league.

I except that Wednesday are unlikely to be able to compete but I would love Wednesday to be in the premier League and  to watch the top players at Hillsborough even if they are playing for the opposition.

I am bored stiff of lower league football. 

• Like 2

It's a shame that the EFL is so badly run, as I think the Championship (and League One/Two) are a great product in many respects. The amount of times you get a bonkers result or a fantastic run out of nowhere to secure a promotion. The play offs are probably the best thing in English football imo, even with the recent heartbreak. 

The PL...lots of nice football, but it is all a bit too shiny and stereilised these days. The top teams pretty much rule the roost and you won't get another Leicester type situation for many, many years. 

I can't stand VAR. It was brought in to try and eliminate questionable decisions, but it has actually ended up causing more controversy than anything else. The fact you get goals ruled off because a bloke's nipple was offside or it slightly brushed some guy's hand in the build up. Utter rubbish. 

• Like 2

I think Neil has got a good point.

Take Brighton for example, every season they just about survive with roughly a point a game and especially under houghton, were pretty ordinary to watch.   If you are a season ticket holder at brighton you might see 1 home win every 6 weeks or so, that might be enough as some people will take 3 premier league points as a major 'event' in their season.

There's also the huddersfield scenario....do they have enough memories from their first season in the PL to last a lifetime? is that enough?

The only real jealousy I have is for Wolves, down in league 1 and now fighting for europe every year.  To be honest that is the only scenario that keeps me going where I think.....maybe..... one day.

If we went up, then we would most likely find ourselves in the same situation that Fulham, West Brom, Brighton and the other lot do. 

I don't know, you might stop up the first season and do ok, but there's almost this inevitability that you will eventually get relegated. Some manage to avoid that (Leicester, seemingly Wolves and Southampton too), but it's worth remembering that at least two of those are backed by incredibly rich owners. 

I think the novelty value would wear off after a few years. 

On 21/11/2020 at 23:33, marconi said:

Not the only one, match of the day and efl on quest was littered with them.

No yellow cards issued for simulation either.

Should be a three game ban for obvious dives. It’s killing the game.

And the ‘pundits’ then condone it by saying its their right to go down if touched.... (no not you Darnell)  drives me crazy

• Like 2