Imagine getting promoted and then having to watch stuff like this every week?

I’m in no hurry to get to the top flight, but then again, I’m not the one bankrolling the club. Had we taken less of a short term approach to getting there, we may have been in a much better place now as a football club. We gave it a shot in year one, and it nearly worked, and for the most part it was exciting and very entertaining. Had we consolidated in year two, with one eye on something sustainable, we would likely have improved year on year. A lot of money was spent in year two, and not very much added. By that I mean, our starting eleven wasn’t any stronger, despite million being spent. Had we spent that same money on exciting young talents, who we could develop, at least there would have been a succession plan in place. Bad decisions have been made, and a short term sticking plaster approach has been pursued. We’ve lurched from one dreary manager to the next, and despite of noises coming from the likes of Jos, Bruce and Monk, about building a younger more dynamic side, it hasn’t happened. I’ll forgive Jos, as he never really had the opportunity to bring in his own players, so we don’t really know what he would have done. Both Bruce, and the chairman, suggested recruitment was going to be about signing youngsters from the Premier League clubs, and yet despite bringing in 8 new players, none really fitted that criteria, save for Murphy perhaps. We heard the same this year, from Monk, and again, out of the 9 players he recruited, only one was under 25. Have we learned our lesson? It seems not, I’m sceptical that the appointment of Pulis will herald the start of an exciting young and entertaining team. It just seems like another ill thought out short term fix.

As I said, I’m in no hurry to get to the Premier League, but at least I want to see that something is being built, and what I am watching is entertaining. To be able to enjoy the ride, as it were

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

Fans just want to see their team winning - the truth being it doesn't matter what league it is.

I'm not in a particular hurry to see us in the Premier League, signing a bunch of mercenary's like Villa, Fulham, Brighton and Huddersfield etc..and still get whupped every week.

For the above privilege you will pay another increase in ticket prices, and struggle to get in anyway as supporters who couldn't afford it or had other commitments suddenly realise they have the money  and time when we play the glamour teams. 

Got a couple of lifelong mates who are blades fans. Despite seeing them in the top division quite a few times, they insist the best season the have had supporting them was when they won the 4th division in 81/82...goals, wins, great away days, cult hero players. 

I bet Sunderland fans are happier now than in previous seasons..constant strugglers in Premiership, then the same in Championship..now they are there or there abouts in the play offs on league one..finally winning games and rid of the leeches on the playing staff .

I have to admit to seeing us much when Francis was manager...I don't actually think I saw Chris Waddle live. That's not ' my' Sheffield Wednesday. As stupid as it sounds, I got as much enjoyment from watching us scrapping out of league one, or struggling after a rebuild. Something more 'real' and authentic about the team then. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

I said that on Saturday.  Refs gotta do something.

Maybe players are taking advantage of not having any reaction from the crowd.  Not that they care nowadays anyway.

Grealish is a prime suspect in all this, been diving about for ages. If some of the tackles against him were genuine, his career would have ended through serious injury years ago.

Shame really as when he’s not throwing himself to the floor he is a very good player.

Serve him right his someone did go in hard with a tackle from behind.

19 minutes ago, markg said:

We are acting like the unpopular kid that didnt get invited to the party  and pretending that we would rather stay in and play world of warcraft anyway. 

Not really

More like the kid watching world of warcraft evolving into a total nonsense and deciding to go to the next table to play with Subbuteo whilst listening to Oasis and drinking booze

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

37 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Not really

More like the kid watching world of warcraft evolving into a total nonsense and deciding to go to the next table to play with Subbuteo whilst listening to Oasis and drinking booze

Not sure which is worse, warcraft or Oasis. 

2 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

Indeed. All this " we get millions if we get to the premiership" No we don't.....the owner and players do.

All us fans get is higher ticket prices.

I can’t recall fans ever being paid lol 

I thought the ‘we get millions’ refers to the club anyway 

1 hour ago, markg said:

We are acting like the unpopular kid that didnt get invited to the party  and pretending that we would rather stay in and play world of warcraft anyway. 

Its more like going out with your mates having a laugh and saying you don't really want to be invited to a party thrown by some posh w@@@@@s . I'd rather stay with my mates than go to a party where everyone is just trying to show how rich they are with the personality of cardboard . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, marconi said:

Serve him right his someone did go in hard with a tackle from behind.

Where's Darnell Fisher when you need him.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I’m in no hurry to get to the top flight, but then again, I’m not the one bankrolling the club. Had we taken less of a short term approach to getting there, we may have been in a much better place now as a football club. We gave it a shot in year one, and it nearly worked, and for the most part it was exciting and very entertaining. Had we consolidated in year two, with one eye on something sustainable, we would likely have improved year on year. A lot of money was spent in year two, and not very much added. By that I mean, our starting eleven wasn’t any stronger, despite million being spent. Had we spent that same money on exciting young talents, who we could develop, at least there would have been a succession plan in place. Bad decisions have been made, and a short term sticking plaster approach has been pursued. We’ve lurched from one dreary manager to the next, and despite of noises coming from the likes of Jos, Bruce and Monk, about building a younger more dynamic side, it hasn’t happened. I’ll forgive Jos, as he never really had the opportunity to bring in his own players, so we don’t really know what he would have done. Both Bruce, and the chairman, suggested recruitment was going to be about signing youngsters from the Premier League clubs, and yet despite bringing in 8 new players, none really fitted that criteria, save for Murphy perhaps. We heard the same this year, from Monk, and again, out of the 9 players he recruited, only one was under 25. Have we learned our lesson? It seems not, I’m sceptical that the appointment of Pulis will herald the start of an exciting young and entertaining team. It just seems like another ill thought out short term fix.

As I said, I’m in no hurry to get to the Premier League, but at least I want to see that something is being built, and what I am watching is entertaining. To be able to enjoy the ride, as it were

All this is true apart from the Time scale.

It is not just the last 4 years, more like the last 40 years, since 'Sir' Jack left.

One of the 1st things Sgt Wilko did was to dismiss the Youth set up that had produced so many young players that benefited the club, and we have ignored that part of the game up to 4 years ago, relying on bringing players here either at their peak or past it.

Leaving us with little or no resale value.

This summer we have brought in a couple of young players from other Academy's with the future in mind, sadly, young players need to be coached and brought on, that takes time and patience some thing fans don't seem to have.

3 minutes ago, the monk said:

With the Prem being such a 5 hit product I presume we all want Utd to stay up and suffer it even more ..yes?

It is a **** product and I want them relegated purely because I am a spiteful wednesdayite and I love and hate our derby matches in equal measure . Wanting them out of the bank of prem is nothing like thinking its a good place to be . Its not a sport in the prem its a printing press .

29 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

It's got to the stage where nearly every single goal is being checked by VAR, because every goal could mean more money for finishing a place higher in the league. It's all about money, football is secondary. 

Players can't celebrate a goal, so fans can't celebrate either without looking idiots . You aren't going to celebrate after a 2 minute (at best) VAR check are you?

Look at that Scottish keeper the other week, saves a pen , sends his team to the Euros, yet before he can go a bit mental he has to double check with the officials that he hadn't moved a millisecond too early. 

Rather be in this league - or below if I'm honest , doesn't really bother me if that's how it turns out - without VAR and these ridiculous penalties than in the Premier League with them. 

• Like 1

I love it when we win, and I hate it when we lose. I want us to be successful. I want us to win things.

Should we get what I want, as a result, we'd end up in the Prem. And actually, I don't want that. Bit of a problem really.

Still, bottom of the Championship as we are, it almost seems comical to be talking about the Prem when we're so much closer to League One than anything else.

3 hours ago, prowl said:

I agree we should bin VAR. It was worth a try but it hasn't worked out.

Every decision is questioned  and the fans of the team who have the goal disallowed or the penalty cancelled feel hard done by but nobody mentions the relief of the other set of fans. Fans feeling hard done by is good TV and media fodder. The media love a 'talking point' they milk it for all it's worth.

It's not the overturned decisions that hack me off it's the delay. If we score, the crowd go mental, that is the true moment of pure joy in football, you just react, those moments are priceless. VAR takes that away. The ball goes in the back of the net.........then you take a deep breath and wait to see if it's allowed ot not, then you do what? You can't really go mental, the moment is gone, the spontaneity has passed. That's why VAR needs to go.

I wouldn't have given it a try. I'm no Einstein but I could see that it wouldn't eradicate debates and I was right it's made it worse.  Let refs make mistakes (and they blooming well do!) , let fans abuse them for it and get on with thegame.

On the second point you're right it has absolutely ruined that moment of pure joy when you see the ball hit the back of the net.

• Like 1