Pulis deal could be a LONG TERM one

3 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

Absolutely not cool very poor appointment. 

Why are you hassling the chairmans son?  what a ridiculous thing to do.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with him.

How would you like it if I hassled your kid for something you have done?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TaxiMark said:

Not sure what I think of TP - lost his way at WBA and Boro so what makes Chansiri think he will work wonders here.

His football is pretty awful but I suppose we have to give him a crack, he certainly sets his teams up hard to beat.

He wouldn't have been my choice but we just need to focus on staying up.

Plenty of teams are hard to beat without resorting to Pulisball though,

being hard to beat and playing poo hoofball aren't mutually exclusive

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I can just imagine how that conversation would go:

'Right, Tony - the club's in a right mess. We've got a Frankenstein's monster of a squad who've been assembled on the cheap after we let most of our better players leave for nothing. We know you're used to managing in the Premier League or at the upper end of the Championship, but we'd like you to overcome our points deduction, guide our rag-tag bunch clear of relegation, and then bugger off so we can appoint Eddie Howe, please. Here's your seven month contract.'

*crickets*

Would that be our rag-tag bunch of millionaires*    lol

* relatively speaking  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

The problem is that we don't have the players to play attacking football now.

If Keegan got the job we would get thrashed every game

Don't quote me on this.

But I think there's a massive space in the middle between Keegan & Pulis...

Why does it always have to be the extreme end of the scale optionwise on here

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Fair play to you for investing your hard earned money in the club. I made the decision a while back that DC wasnt getting a bean out of me until he either left or ran it much more professionally. That will continue to be the case I suspect.

However football has always been about results and league tables are based on wins, draws and losses not artistic merit, so if Chansiri has made the pragmatic choice in Pulis then its his money and his decision and we the fans will just have to live with it.

If the Pulis appointment works and we start winning games, climbing the table and the feel good factor returns then I suspect the vast majority of Pulis naysayers will grit their teeth and return to watch a winning side in action ( when possible ).

If it doesnt work out then the purist's amongst our fanbase will always be able to say that they were right all along and that football should be played on the floor not in the air blah blah blah.

At the end of the day we all want a successful SWFC we just have different ideas of how that should be achieved. I guess that the only opinion on this that matters is our esteemed owners.

It's not about purism. Wilkinson when he started with us wasn't about purism. But it was exciting and vibrant. Pulis hasn't been. He squeezes the life out of other teams and tries to nick wins. 

2 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Best made that remark about Wilko's team in the mid-80s.

I think we could ultimately have the team you desire, but we would have to build up to that.

Realistically that means getting to the PL first.

Unless you're lucky enough to get a Wilder, or have the pedigree for a Bielsa, that probably means going down the Pulis/Karanka/Colin route.

Otherwise we'll be continually gambling with feast and famine the likely outcome.

yes

I was thinking that Wilko's team would have be the better example for the 'Pulis-fans' to use as a classic reason to back him..

and i dont think George Best or any of them Manc players would have said that about us when  Witham scored the 5th Wednesday goal against them at Hillsborough after trailing 4-2 at half time..to win 5-4, in front of 50000 at Hillsborough.

no Pulis style play then for Wednesday , or even before my time with Catterick..runners up to the mighty spurs side 

so its pick your era.. 

My point remains, why is that it people seem to just accept that other teams no bigger than the owls.. over the years can develop watchable footballing sides.. e.g Forest under Clough, Leeds in their pomp under Don Revie, even smaller clubs like Southampton when Mick Shannon was there.. countless others. 

yeah, once in a lifetime legends but at some point took RISKS in building a side.. and being appointed.

but seemingly we are only good enough and can now only get promotion using direct/kick/rush/etc etc. ???

and its not as though Wilders pulling up trees is it?

saying all this i would be happy for pulis to keep us up, obviously.. and i don't see the point in slagging him for the sake of it. 

but this is simply my opinion about the long term future 

1 hour ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Comparing Pulis to Big Jack & Wilkinson is chalk and cheese.

Football was different back then, it was affordable, working class entertainment.

It's now a multimillion pound entertainment industry, there's a reason managers like Pulis aren't getting the jobs they used to

...yes ...that’s my point. 

18 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

It's not about purism. Wilkinson when he started with us wasn't about purism. But it was exciting and vibrant. Pulis hasn't been. He squeezes the life out of other teams and tries to nick wins. 

Watching Wilko's first few seasons were some of the best years I can remember, however when the quality of the signings dropped off and  other teams fathomed us out then it became painful to watch. At the end of the day we are at the wrong end of the second tier, we need to find a way to win some games, if thats by Pulisball then so be it

16 minutes ago, Southside Owl said:

yes

I was thinking that Wilko's team would have be the better example for the 'Pulis-fans' to use as a classic reason to back him..

and i dont think George Best or any of them Manc players would have said that about us when  Witham scored the 5th Wednesday goal against them at Hillsborough after trailing 4-2 at half time..to win 5-4, in front of 50000 at Hillsborough.

no Pulis style play then for Wednesday , or even before my time with Catterick..runners up to the mighty spurs side 

so its pick your era.. 

My point remains, why is that it people seem to just accept that other teams no bigger than the owls.. over the years can develop watchable footballing sides.. e.g Forest under Clough, Leeds in their pomp under Don Revie, even smaller clubs like Southampton when Mick Shannon was there.. countless others. 

yeah, once in a lifetime legends but at some point took RISKS in building a side.. and being appointed.

but seemingly we are only good enough and can now only get promotion using direct/kick/rush/etc etc. ???

and its not as though Wilders pulling up trees is it?

saying all this i would be happy for pulis to keep us up, obviously.. and i don't see the point in slagging him for the sake of it. 

but this is simply my opinion about the long term future 

Yes, good points.

If we had reacted to the abolition of the maximum wage by changing our system and having an owner, then there's no reason why we couldn't have done what Leeds and Forest did.

Really, we need a much better youth policy, and we also need an extensive scouting network in Europe where players are more affordable.