Pulis deal could be a LONG TERM one

6 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

It was bloody obvious he, or indeed anyone, was going to ask for a 2+ year contract to come into this job.

Bigger pay out, more security.

Any coach would be bonkers asking for anything less.

I'm split, personally. Part of me thinks this could be a good fit. He's a big name with a reasonable record and is capable of running this club and putting DC in his place as an owner.

But I do just long for Wednesday to become a club who take a chance, who develop a team of young players who are going places... not just bumping around from one crisis to another.

It's likely he'll keep us up, but the issue is that he'll then stay next season , add loads of players of his choice, then whenever he eventually leaves after being hounded out we'll have a squad full of aging big fellas in trouble in the league who will never be capable of playing the nice pressing football that we're hoping for... meaning another old school manager will come in to rescue us, who will be tasked with keeping us up ... and so on.

Feels like a good time to break the chain... just takes a brave decision.

nuff said

Hope DC sees sense at the last minute, we've already endured Josball and Monkball, Pulisball might be more effective but years out of the game and decline, suggests it could be another disastrous short-sighted appointment. Personally hope DC throws up a curve ball, changes his mind and makes a far more exciting appointment, either in ability, style or potential but with something to believe in. 

11 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

It was bloody obvious he, or indeed anyone, was going to ask for a 2+ year contract to come into this job.

Bigger pay out, more security.

Any coach would be bonkers asking for anything less.

I'm split, personally. Part of me thinks this could be a good fit. He's a big name with a reasonable record and is capable of running this club and putting DC in his place as an owner.

But I do just long for Wednesday to become a club who take a chance, who develop a team of young players who are going places... not just bumping around from one crisis to another.

It's likely he'll keep us up, but the issue is that he'll then stay next season , add loads of players of his choice, then whenever he eventually leaves after being hounded out we'll have a squad full of aging big fellas in trouble in the league who will never be capable of playing the nice pressing football that we're hoping for... meaning another old school manager will come in to rescue us, who will be tasked with keeping us up ... and so on.

Feels like a good time to break the chain... just takes a brave decision.

Good post mate...i agree...I'd have liked Ryan Lowe but in reality it was never gonna happen.We've taken chances in the past with Danny Wilson and look where that got us...relegated!!  But the club's in a pretty dangerous state at the moment,with practically every player playing well below their best and with little confidence going forward...hopefully someone can get em firing again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, erowl said:

Well I wonder how many feel now that it looks long term? Many were prepared to accept till season end but now?

I suppose it is what it is any we're mere minions in all this and just need to suck it up and get behind the new man.

Yep! That’s why he’s the Chairman and we’re not. It’s his club we watch, and in fairness, he knows a lot more about managing a multi million pound business than most on here! Go for it DC!

4 minutes ago, Elderly Owl said:

and in fairness, he knows a lot more about managing a multi million pound business than most on here! Go for it DC!

Get Tin hat on , standddbbyyyyyy

18 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Hope DC sees sense at the last minute, we've already endured Josball and Monkball, Pulisball might be more effective but years out of the game and decline, suggests it could be another disastrous short-sighted appointment. Personally hope DC throws up a curve ball, changes his mind and makes a far more exciting appointment, either in ability, style or potential but with something to believe in. 

After looking into Ryan Lowe's managerial career I'd love to have him back. Even if we went down due to lack of quality he would get us doing well in League One regardless. I am not a fan of Pulis and if he's hired it tells me DC has no damn clue and I'm kinda over it at this point. A player like Bannan or Luongo or Windass would prosper under Lowe but have (what's left) of their careers die under Pulis.

• Like 3

Guest Therealrealist
12 minutes ago, Elderly Owl said:

Yep! That’s why he’s the Chairman and we’re not. It’s his club we watch, and in fairness, he knows a lot more about managing a multi million pound business than most on here! Go for it DC!

Apart from swfc(where he’s made a right mess)..what other multi million pound business does he run?..not being clever I just don’t know

4 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Apart from swfc(where he’s made a right mess)..what other multi million pound business does he run?..not being clever I just don’t know

I thought that, outside of family tuna business, doesn't DC have a construction business over in Asia?? 

19 minutes ago, Elderly Owl said:

It's always the old gimmers that go like this isn't it?

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Imre Varadi said:

What is hoofball? If hoofball was what Howard Wilkinsons team played....then bring it on!! They were my favourite few years,all this passing it sideways in midfield does nothing for me.I like to see the ball in the oppositions area,creating chances,forwards winning the ball and laying it off. Bullying teams is what i enjoy and we've not seen that for a longtime. When Wilko took over i think we went the first 18 games unbeaten,it was great stuff,we were making tons of chances every game. I just don't get football today,goalkeepers throwing the ball to a defender 6 yards away,who's got a forward close to him. I watched the Man City game v  Liverpool,and it appears to me that every defender has to pass to each other then back to the keeper before they pass the half way line...bizarre and extremely boring. There was 4 minutes injury time,2 minutes into it,City defenders were passing it sideways to each other...i'm not getting this at all.....Get it forward is my motto!!! And what is wrong with long throws?

I totally agree with you. Bill Shankley called it the early ball. That is what he brought to Liverpool F.C. who went on to European success.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canadianowl said:

After looking into Ryan Lowe's managerial career I'd love to have him back. Even if we went down due to lack of quality he would get us doing well in League One regardless. I am not a fan of Pulis and if he's hired it tells me DC has no damn clue and I'm kinda over it at this point. A player like Bannan or Luongo or Windass would prosper under Lowe but have (what's left) of their careers die under Pulis.

It's clear under the last few managers, that we don't have the players to play like Pulis' teams do. On the other hand we don't have enough players or the quality to play pretty football or expansive attacking football as well to be fair.

A middle ground needs to be found or we need to play to the strengths of our own players to bring some belief or excitement back. Kind of what we had during Carlos' first season or briefly whilst Bruce was here.

I'd like to see a better balance between defensive and attacking football, that plays to the strengths of our own players and seeing a manager that makes some of our players improve.

Personally I'd prefer DC to go for a more forward thinking long term approach with a exciting manager on the rise working alongside someone experienced or bringing in someone with pedigree or a bit of character and excitement. The past few years have been dull to say the least. 

1 hour ago, tommycockles said:

The only positive I can dig out from the current dung heap, is if it is TP on a 2 1/2 Yr deal that suggests, to me, that DC has promised reasonable funds to spend. Really can't see TP being convinced to come if he'd been told DC intends to keep his purse firmly clasped shut!?? 

DC never gives this type of contract out it's always been reported he does 1 season and reviews it hes always kept it quiet for that reason

8 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

I totally agree with you. Bill Shankley called it the early ball. That is what he brought to Liverpool F.C. who went on to European success.

That first season under Wilko...jeeez...they were so fit and mobile...absolutely crushing teams!! Megson and Shelton worked their socks off

As Barney Ronay points out in his typically erudite summation of the Tony Pulis era at Stoke, there will be little lament for his managerial passing.

The initial ground-shaking tremor caused by their ascension to the Premier League back in 2008 has petered out into ever-tinier trembles, and even though Stoke eventually finished the season in a respectable 13th place, it seemed inevitable that Pulis would leave this summer.

In fact, you’d almost be forgiven for forgetting that he was even still there. Their fans bemoan their perennial role of Match of the Day bottom-feeder, their game regularly relegated to last place, Shearer and Hansen too exhausted from their extensive analysis of other games to comment. But, spare a thought for the MOTD bods behind the scenes, trawling through Stoke games for incidents.

They registered 34 goals all season, only eclipsed by the execrable QPR. 44% of these came directly from set pieces.

Such a record can’t be put down to profligacy either; they managed the worst record in the league of dribbles, overall shots per game and shots on target.

They rarely managed to achieve over 50% of possession, and their top goal-scorer Jonathan Walters scored only eight times, three of which were penalties.

Combined, these stats neatly demonstrate a point; that Stoke aren’t very good to watch.

This alone isn’t cause to sack a manager. Stoke’s style is said to be ugly but effective; but it’s debatable how true that still is. Their points total this season – 42, was their lowest since promotion in 2008. Their highest Premier League finish, 11th, was achieved three seasons ago. Pulis stressed that their primary aim was always to avoid relegation each season, but when sides such as West Brom and Swansea have made some sizable strides forward, this seemed peculiarly unambitious.

Despite his frequent protestations about his squad compared to those of the top sides, Pulis was always well-backed by his board and given funds to strengthen his squad throughout his tenure. In the January transfer window of the successful 2007/8 promotion campaign, over £4m worth of players were brought in. Each of his five seasons in the top flight have seen him being given big budgets, and yet so much has been wasted on forgettable squad fodder; soon to be discarded.

Pulis’ hallmarks were easily identifiable, the tall powerful strikers, pacy direct wingers and imposing centre backs. His philosophy seemed unbinding, which made some of his signings so inexplicable. The likes of Tuncay and Eidur Gudjohnsen were acquired, seemingly with little idea how they would fit in to Stoke’s style of play. The signing of Michael Owen this season continued this odd trend. Jonathan Woodgate, an elegant centre-back, admittedly on the wane, was occasionally deployed at right-back where he seemed completely lost.

When the grinding mechanical gears of Stoke’s football clicked into place, they could be impossible to play against, backed by the raucous Brittania crowd. Signings like Jermaine Pennant were inspired, complimenting Matthew Etherington on the opposing flank with direct, attacking intent and the ability to pin back full-backs.

But Pulis fell out with him, and left him out in the cold this season and last. Rumours of dressing room disharmony couldn’t be quelled, and the bizarre tale of Kenwynne Jones and the pig’s head found in his locker seemed to be the nadir of these internal machinations.

Of course Pulis’ achievements should be noted, guiding Stoke to the top tier for the first time since the mid-eighties, staying there for five consecutive seasons and taking the club to the FA Cup Final in 2011.

But that they won few admirers beyond those who marvelled at the hulking physicality of his side and of Rory Delap’s throw-in indicated that he was probably never going to be the man who progressed Stoke into a top-half team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, stocksyuto said:

DC never gives this type of contract out it's always been reported he does 1 season and reviews it hes always kept it quiet for that reason

Bruce wasn't on a 1 year deal, don't think Carlos was either. Think the Brucey thing stung DC to go rolling one year for Monk. All reports suggest it's a 2 and half Yr for Pulis!! 

9 minutes ago, Imre Varadi said:

Good post mate...i agree...I'd have liked Ryan Lowe but in reality it was never gonna happen.We've taken chances in the past with Danny Wilson and look where that got us...relegated!!  But the club's in a pretty dangerous state at the moment,with practically every player playing well below their best and with little confidence going forward...hopefully someone can get em firing again.

The thing is, Chansiri has never taken a chance before - aside from getting Carlos in.

All subsequent appointments have been of a very similar ilk, albeit within that set there were managers of varying gravitas.

The thing that heartens me about Pulis aside from the likelihood he'll improve immediate results is how he'll inject a real structure our play and very clear roles for the players.  I have a feeling a lot of our players need that structure - need to have clear roles and simply do their job. Reach has been thrown around literally left, right and centre rather than being given strict authority to simply bang in theose crosses from the left where he excels.  

I'd expect to see a left-back join on a free - I just dont see any of our squad bar Palmer suitable there in Pulis world.

Midfield worries me.

• Like 2