Pulis deal could be a LONG TERM one

20 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Watching Wilko's first few seasons were some of the best years I can remember, however when the quality of the signings dropped off and  other teams fathomed us out then it became painful to watch. At the end of the day we are at the wrong end of the second tier, we need to find a way to win some games, if thats by Pulisball then so be it

Yep with Pulis we skip straight to the pain. 

Too many people are relying on the fact that the football might be dire but at least we will win more games and move up the table.  I think it’s a poor appointment regardless of playing style - not convinced someone as unimaginative as Pulis can get results with our current squad.  Also, I’m far from convinced he really fancies the job, but will take it on if we pay him a small fortune.  In my opinion it’s a terrible appointment when Paul Cook (who has more promotions than Pulis) is available and has proven his ability to dig a team out of trouble (points deduction aside) in this league.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

Surprised it’s taking so long to announce. Pulis probably rinsing DC for as much as he can. 

In a way, good. This decision shows the club is nothing more than a play thing, showing contempt for the fans with such an inept, divisive appointment is not the actions of a true custodian of the club. 

If DC is daft enough to employ Pulis, hope he rinses every penny he can. Good look to him, another bumper retirement fund to go along with the many players we've set up for retirement over the few years he's been here. 

What are we going to sell next time we break FFP? 

• Like 1

Just now, Steve Down South said:

Too many people are relying on the fact that the football might be dire but at least we will win more games and move up the table.  I think it’s a poor appointment regardless of playing style - not convinced someone as unimaginative as Pulis can get results with our current squad.  Also, I’m far from convinced he really fancies the job, but will take it on if we pay him a small fortune.  In my opinion it’s a terrible appointment when Paul Cook (who has more promotions than Pulis) is available and has proven his ability to dig a team out of trouble (points deduction aside) in this league.  

Agree, people also ignore his 30% win ratio in his last job because of something he did 13 years ago with Stoke. 

No guarantee of points whatsoever, the only guarantee is turgid negative football that makes Monk look like Bielsa.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, striker said:

Agree, people also ignore his 30% win ratio in his last job because of something he did 13 years ago with Stoke. 

No guarantee of points whatsoever, the only guarantee is turgid negative football that makes Monk look like Bielsa.

To be fair, his win rate at Boro was 43%

I wasn't around for Wilkinson but from what I've heard/seen I don't think they would be that comparative to a Tony Pulis team, they both get the ball forward quickly but Wilkinson's seemed much more attacking and higher tempo to me.

They certainly scored more goals under Wilkinson than Pulis is known for.

For those who saw it is that right?

1 hour ago, Asio otus said:

Blimey  All I said its a very poor appointment. End of no threats or abuse like some morons have done. 

And it's got nothing to do with the kid, how much say in your Dad's business decisions did you have as a young un?

Analysis - Paul Addison, sports editor at BBC Tees

Tony Pulis was a very divisive figure from his very first day as the Middlesbrough manager.

His functional style of play frustrated many fans, but they saw their side reach the play-offs in the 2017-18 season before surrendering to Aston Villa in the semi-finals.

Boro were in the top six for most of the 2018-19 campaign but a run of six successive defeats ultimately did for their promotion hopes and, in the end, for Pulis.

The atmosphere at home games became toxic on occasions when supporters voiced their displeasure by labelling Pulis' style as "Jurassic".

The manager insisted throughout his time at the Riverside that he had helped to "balance the books" and clear up some of the damage that he said had been done by his predecessor Garry Monk in terms of big money transfers and high wages.

Pulis told BBC Tees Sport after the final game against Rotherham United that finishing seventh was in many ways a bigger achievement than reaching the play-offs in the previous season - that, for many, was the last straw.

Owlstalk Shop

28 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Yep with Pulis we skip straight to the pain. 

That remains to be seen.

Im kinda meh about his appointment in pretty much the same way I was about The Monkey getting the job last year.

Personally would have preferred either Pearson or Cook but as Ive said before its DC's club, DC's money, DC's call.

Im sure that Megson will also find his way back into the setup at some point.

Are any of you more optimistic that there’s been no announcement today? I’m clinging to the hope that DC has got something else up his sleeve, or hasn’t been able to meet Pulis' demands. I remember it was nailed on that Hughton was getting the Bristol City job. Betting suspended and then after three days, they gave the job to somebody else. So I’m hoping that Pulis has been too greedy and DC has pulled the plug. 
image.gif.4d291385d9c3065a18c29e1eb72c48c1.gif

Just now, hasthagotanycheese said:

That remains to be seen.

Im kinda meh about his appointment in pretty much the same way I was about The Monkey getting the job last year.

Personally would have preferred either Pearson or Cook but as Ive said before its DC's club, DC's money, DC's call. 

If Chansiri wants to buy a new telly that's fine - so long as he doesn't come to us to start paying his Direct Debit to Currys

Owlstalk Shop

16 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

I wasn't around for Wilkinson but from what I've heard/seen I don't think they would be that comparative to a Tony Pulis team, they both get the ball forward quickly but Wilkinson's seemed much more attacking and higher tempo to me.

They certainly scored more goals under Wilkinson than Pulis is known for.

For those who saw it is that right?

The main difference was Wilkinson had quality players in the squad. Sterland, Marwood, Chapman, Chamberlain, Hodge, Hirst, Lyons, Shirtliffe. Proper players.

• Like 1