Pulis deal could be a LONG TERM one

23 minutes ago, Jim said:

Now I would prefer someone else but it was always likely after going for him last time and not getting him that this time we wouldn’t take no for answer should we go for him this time which we obviously have. 

After Warnock, Bruce and Hughton, Pulis is as good as it gets at this level. Perhaps his record would be on a par with those three had he spent as long a time managing in the championship as they have.

The reason he hasn’t is he’s cut it in the premier league where the other three arguably haven’t?

It was never going to be a short term

deal with Pulis. He’s looking for one last job before retirement and this one is it. He’ll be well versed in all things Wednesday due to his best mate and even though the football won’t be pretty, it will be effective. This is what did for Monk. It’s alright being attritional but you need results and he didn’t get them.

Another thing Monk didn’t do was use the tools at his disposal well enough. Pulis has made a very good living at being able to do this.

Granted he’s not the appointment we all wanted but most of us were happy with Bruce when he was appointed and absolutely gutted when he abruptly left. When all is said and done Pulis is at least on a par with Bruce if not a little bit better?

Providing he sticks around he gives Chansiri his best chance of achieving his premier league dream but first there is the more immediate matter of achieving championship survival but my guess is come Christmas things will be looking much healthier on that front?

IMO Pulis will get the job done and when all is said and done that’s what we all want surely?

^^^^ 

This in spades. Let’s be honest we’re all happy with a win however it comes and success breeds confidence breeds success. 
Let’s get behind him as and when it’s announced. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

34 minutes ago, Southside Owl said:

because they want to watch good classy entertaining football

not to pay a lot of money to watch his particular style of football

because we may have to endure this for a few years rather than short term tony just doing us a job.

Years ago, I remember George Best saying that he wouldn't cross the street to watch Sheffield Wednesday.

But that rather misses the point.

Had we not played like that, then we wouldn't have been playing Man Utd because we'd have been in a lower league.

To play good classy football - and be successful - you need good classy players.

You won't find many of them in this current Wednesday outfit.

• Like 2

Move on if he will only sign up for a long term deal.

Needs to prove he is the right man first.

Get on the blower to a better manager if it’s long term deals we’re looking at.

Big Sam Allardyce or Big Slaven Bilic for e.g.

If we’re talking ling term deals, then I’d prefer Ryan Lowe. His tactics don’t make your eyes bleed and he’d be cheaper to offload if it doesn’t work out.

3 hours ago, AwokenGiant said:

Think it makes sense, if we are bringing him in then it would be better as a long term project not a short term one. Otherwise, it goes against what most say on here about giving a manager the opportunity to build. No doubt Pulis will keep us up and he has a track record of gaining promotions, so despite the style of football it could be a good match. 

3 hours ago, rickygoo said:

I think any manager we get in now should be for the long term. 

No manager can be for the long term.  if the results are crap he gets sacked.  Simple as.  What's the chairman going to say?  You've got at least the full 2 and half years whatever happens to rebuild the club.  Forget results.  You rebuild away.

Can't see that happening.    If results are fine then great but what if they aren't?

One thing I will say is this, Pulis won’t be easy for Chansiri , he has his way of working and Chansiri will need to step back and allow that or likely to fall out before they’ve even begun 

But if you believe half of what gets said , Any self respecting, half decent domestic manager has been warned off against working for nasty man Chansiri and big bad Paxo anyway , so maybe Pulis won’t even come 

9 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Years ago, I remember George Best saying that he wouldn't cross the street to watch Sheffield Wednesday.

But that rather misses the point.

Had we not played like that, then we wouldn't have been playing Man Utd because we'd have been in a lower league.

To play good classy football - and be successful - you need good classy players.

You won't find many of them in this current Wednesday outfit.

didnt say the current squad had them

and actually i rather enjoyed the 1960s teams style of play, when we were in the first division..

it wasn't pulis style as well..on its day it was a decent footballing side..

and to be fair no-one could lace georges boots 

ultimately we are eventually going to have to start somewhere... 

looks like it wont happen soon..

hopefully pulis will keep us up

then next season bore the pants of everybody and chansiri will sack him off at a price

5 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

One thing I will say is this, Pulis won’t be easy for Chansiri , he has his way of working and Chansiri will need to step back and allow that or likely to fall out before they’ve even begun 

But if you believe half of what gets said , Any self respecting, half decent domestic manager has been warned off against working for nasty man Chansiri and big bad Paxo anyway , so maybe Pulis won’t even come 

Pulis doesn’t sound a man with many morals from what has happened at a couple of his other clubs, money talks. I agree though Chansiri won’t have it easy with Pulis, doesn’t come across as a yes man. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

43 minutes ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

how can you say he hasn't though what he did at Rotherham who were dead and buried was unbelievable, do you think the Rotherham fans cared if he played good football, the remit was to keep them up and he achieved it, likewise at Middlesbrough and Cardiff.

He keeps team up, sometimes gets them promoted😂😂 so he's literally hitting his target with that club but you don't like it because he plays dreadful football 😂 

this is exactly what were up against😂

short shelf life? like CC who everyone thinks the sun shines out of his backside???

Yeah i saw what he did with his stoke side in the premier league he used his players effectively, he got them into the europa league with his "dinosaur tactics". 

There is much worse out there than TP.

Never said i would be happy with his football i just don't believe it will be aimlessly shelling it long every 90 minutes of football  like everyone is making out, why would you when you have Bannan. 

How did Rotherham get on after he left? Did he leave them in a better position than what he found them? 

He hits his targets with a shit but "effective" style. It's not football though.

Megson got Bolton into Europe playing terrible football. I didnt want him at Wednesday either but at the time we had literally no choice. Pulis plays the percentages and it 's got him a lot of jobs and a lot of money. It's got him absolutely no fans  (maybe one seeing as you have no issue with him).

You say you've seen his teams but you think that we wont be pumping it into the sky to battle for scraps? We could have peak Xavi and Iniesta and he'd still knock it long. It's ingrained in his DNA. 

Some people dont care that we are in an endless cycle of crap managers playing crap football until they get sacked and we go through the same process again. I do care. I want us to change for the better. Other people are happy to settle for the mediocre as long as it means we get the results now.

It's sad.

A manager with a good record in the championship, would we allow him to spend money in the Jan transfer window - i doubt it. A longer term contract would allow him to bring some players in, he will have some good contacts. For me he will do for now until we get stability and move away from the bottom. Just wonder how Bannan will react

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I am a bit underwhelmed by this news but hope he does well.
It might be hard work watching us but hope we are least organised and hardworking.

How many will be prepared to pay? I always thought the idea was it was 'entertainment' 'enjoyment'..thats what we paid for,& in particular(under the current Chairmans pricing structure) pay a Premium price.....have we been reduced to just being happy we somehow manage a 'win' or a draw?...irrespective of being entertained?

Some i know will be happy with such.....win being all....The older supports will remember the swashbuckling teams of the 90s under Howard both winning,and entertaining....

Feeling very dissapointed today at this appointment....

I, the undersigned, as a football fan of Sheffield Wednesday, do not want Tony Pulis as manager. His teams do not play the type of football I want to see, though I respect him as an experienced football manager.

theowlsman

Feel free to disagree or join me by adding your name.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Groundhopping Owl said:

“Manager in wanting insurance against being  sacked shocker”

This ,  dunno why people are chiming on about Pulis morales and loyalty ,  why would any football manager be loyal and not have there own interests at heart ? Look at how there treated !  People talk about Ryan Lowe and Nigel Pearson and how great they would be here ...  few bad results and they’d be dealt the same treatment as anyone else wether it was Pulis , Pearson or Lowe