Pulis deal could be a LONG TERM one

1 minute ago, Maddogbob said:

Ok who would you like then? 

Personally, Lowe for me, like the cut of his jib. 

I know he's untried, but just got a good feeling he could be a decent one. 

I'd have gone with Cook.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

That remains to be seen.

Im kinda meh about his appointment in pretty much the same way I was about The Monkey getting the job last year.

Personally would have preferred either Pearson or Cook but as Ive said before its DC's club, DC's money, DC's call.

Im sure that Megson will also find his way back into the setup at some point.

DC can have my seat too if it turns out like I fear. 

4 minutes ago, jacko1992 said:

After listening to Si Ferry’s undr the cosh. Paulo Di Canio. Please. 

Oh I’d love Di Canio. Some of the stories on that podcast were absolutely brilliant. 

Everyone says what a great coach he was too. He was just a bit too intense.

It would be a rollercoaster though.

30 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's interesting that they're drawing a parallel between Pulis and Wilkinson.

Wilkinson's spell at Hillsborough was a little before my time, but he seems very highly thought of despite an apparently dour style of play?

I didnt see it as particularly dour but it was extremely direct and unforgiving in terms of flair.. but also quite uplifting as it brought wins.. i mean at the time it was almost scientifically coached.. i can only think of it a bit like u.s. football where someone throws it as far as they can and everybody else runs after it ...( sorry u.s. fans for that crude analogy)...other teams hated us for using it but we didnt care that no liked us haha.. because we had only just found our feet again and our club could have easily gone under ala ...Bradford Park Avenue F.C .. nice name sad they went bust.. we were a bit like Wimbledon and Vinny Jones but perhaps  bit more creative.. 

it was never going to be sustainable and eventually teams caught on on how to deal with it.. and sadly we were never able to transform ourselves into a ongoing prem club..

it was fun whilst it lasted...surprisingly quite awhile..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Lowe is a big gamble right now in our predicament. He could be another Paul Hurst.

Could be, but might not be. 

Pulis, we know would cost us a fortune to 1. Get in and 2.Get rid

We also know it's a horrible watch. Also we know he might save us. However, always the chance he won't. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It was my first manager really - I was too young for Jack Charlton days

As a nipper Gary Shelton,  Imre Varadi etc - all my heroes

As a youngster you don't have expectations or analyse the games, you just see the green of the pitch, the blue and white stripes and the goals and crunching tackles

When you get older it changes and we start to argue and over analyse

The worst bit for me about it is that other fans will come along and trample all over your heroes and try to get you convinced your heroes weren't that great

SOD OFF I say - my heroes will never diminish and will always ALWAYS be my heroes

*disclaimer if any of you worship Carlos or Trevor Francis - all of the above does not apply to those two*

how about  Catterick ? 

4 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Could be, but might not be. 

Pulis, we know would cost us a fortune to 1. Get in and 2.Get rid

We also know it's a horrible watch. Also we know he might save us. However, always the chance he won't. 

The bit that I do not like or agree with is the newspaper talk of a negotiation over bonus,presumably substantial for avoiding relegation.

This is a very low bar and does little for the future of the club.

Any incoming manager should be confident in avoiding relegation so the bonus should be for retaining our place in the Championship and achieving a play off position in the following season.

A bonus should always be an incentive to achieve an aim.The salary covers the basics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mark1948 said:

Jack Charlton and Howard Wilkinson were much lauded Owls Managers. Both played direct football and reaped the rewards and both had long and successful managerial careers.  Both are always remembered fondly by supporters who turned up in droves to watch sky ball, most glorying in it.

Mr Pulis is capable of emulating Jack and Howard and becoming an Owls Legend.

Even our arch enemy Neil (Colin) Warnock who is Mr Direct has had an amazing career.

What is hoofball? If hoofball was what Howard Wilkinsons team played....then bring it on!! They were my favourite few years,all this passing it sideways in midfield does nothing for me.I like to see the ball in the oppositions area,creating chances,forwards winning the ball and laying it off. Bullying teams is what i enjoy and we've not seen that for a longtime. When Wilko took over i think we went the first 18 games unbeaten,it was great stuff,we were making tons of chances every game. I just don't get football today,goalkeepers throwing the ball to a defender 6 yards away,who's got a forward close to him. I watched the Man City game v  Liverpool,and it appears to me that every defender has to pass to each other then back to the keeper before they pass the half way line...bizarre and extremely boring. There was 4 minutes injury time,2 minutes into it,City defenders were passing it sideways to each other...i'm not getting this at all.....Get it forward is my motto!!! And what is wrong with long throws?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

That's why someone like Lowe would have made more sense, alongside an experienced assistant or DOF. 

I don't get this need for a DoF, he doesn't pick the team, get involved with the coaching or tactics. He's just basically a go between the manager and owner.

He also assists with recruitment but at present that bit doesn't concern us, out of transfer window and I would guess very little money to play with.

6 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Short-termist outdated thinking will backfire and eventually take us back in one direction and it won't be upwards. Our recruitment of managers is a lot like our player recruitment, focused on has beens or those that have spent time out. 

Suspect DC, driven by Paxo's recommendation wanted Pulis last time, negative reaction from fans gave him cold feet and after having a face on for a bit eventually appointed Monk.

This time he couldn't wait to speak to Pulis and suspect his belligerence will ignore the negative reaction and split fanbase this time. Very few actually want Pulis, some have lowered their standards to such a low level of expectation that they will tolerate him, most don't want him. This majority is born out in most, if not all online polls. 

The negative reaction still exists because he's an outdated dinosaur still dining off promotion 13 years ago. Fans of his previous clubs almost universally despise him, he's been sued by two of his previous clubs and on top of that wants top money. 

There is a direct correlation with the manager DC has just sacked, Pulis had a worse win ratio at Boro then Monk. 

Whichever way you look at this, it's a massive mistake. Chansiri's goodwill with the fanbase is declining and this will only alienate even more of the fanbase. He keeps saying he can't do it on his own, but his actions continue to ignore his 'customers'. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Imre Varadi said:

What is hoofball? If hoofball was what Howard Wilkinsons team played....then bring it on!! They were my favourite few years,all this passing it sideways in midfield does nothing for me.I like to see the ball in the oppositions area,creating chances,forwards winning the ball and laying it off. Bullying teams is what i enjoy and we've not seen that for a longtime. When Wilko took over i think we went the first 18 games unbeaten,it was great stuff,we were making tons of chances every game. I just don't get football today,goalkeepers throwing the ball to a defender 6 yards away,who's got a forward close to him. I watched the Man City game v  Liverpool,and it appears to me that every defender has to pass to each other then back to the keeper before they pass the half way line...bizarre and extremely boring. There was 4 minutes injury time,2 minutes into it,City defenders were passing it sideways to each other...i'm not getting this at all.....Get it forward is my motto!!! And what is wrong with long throws?

imho the best teams to watch wouldn't fall into the tikky takky v hoofball categories.. it would be attacking but not gung ho.. and intelligent but not insanely boring.. and you know what i don't blame the fans who have not seen any success at s6  for wanting wins ... ffs sake give them something to cheer at saturday tea time     ...but rest assured the big question is what happens when Pulis (?) leaves..

• Like 1

The only positive I can dig out from the current dung heap, is if it is TP on a 2 1/2 Yr deal that suggests, to me, that DC has promised reasonable funds to spend. Really can't see TP being convinced to come if he'd been told DC intends to keep his purse firmly clasped shut!?? 

• Like 2

It was bloody obvious he, or indeed anyone, was going to ask for a 2+ year contract to come into this job.

Bigger pay out, more security.

Any coach would be bonkers asking for anything less.

I'm split, personally. Part of me thinks this could be a good fit. He's a big name with a reasonable record and is capable of running this club and putting DC in his place as an owner.

But I do just long for Wednesday to become a club who take a chance, who develop a team of young players who are going places... not just bumping around from one crisis to another.

It's likely he'll keep us up, but the issue is that he'll then stay next season , add loads of players of his choice, then whenever he eventually leaves after being hounded out we'll have a squad full of aging big fellas in trouble in the league who will never be capable of playing the nice pressing football that we're hoping for... meaning another old school manager will come in to rescue us, who will be tasked with keeping us up ... and so on.

Feels like a good time to break the chain... just takes a brave decision.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1