Pulis deal could be a LONG TERM one

40 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

If the future is trying to eke out 1-0 wins amid a general air of tedium count me out. Most of his recent career has been about survival. About scraping wins and . scraping draws to stay in the Premier League. At Boro it should have been about dominating teams and bossing games. That's not his style and ultimately they failed.

If football was just about the result I'd get as much fulfilment watching Final Score as I do going to games. For me it isn't - the game itself - not the other things that surround the game of being with your mates - is about drama and excitement and goalmouth action. Strip that away and it's not worth my time and money to  be honest. I'm snookered for next season as Chansiri already has my cash and given the tardiness of handing out refunds for last season I can't see me ever getting that back. But it's a sunk cost and if it's crap I just won't bother going any more. I've been close to it recently and this might be it.

Absolutely.

Lots of people seem to think Pulis is worth the tedium because he will get us to the premier league. He won't.

His speciality is grinding out results with poor teams at the bottom of the table. He can only play one way. Sit back, keep it tight and try and nick a goal. He will keep us up but that's it.

Yes he got stoke promoted but that was 12 years ago and football has changed since then (and he was lucky that year that he only needed 79 points for automatic).

Edited by NorthernOwl
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

No manager can be for the long term.  if the results are crap he gets sacked.  Simple as.  What's the chairman going to say?  You've got at least the full 2 and half years whatever happens to rebuild the club.  Forget results.  You rebuild away.

Can't see that happening.    If results are fine then great but what if they aren't?

I meant the intention should be long term. None of this we'll give you to the end of this season business. I fully appreciate managers get sacked. 

3 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

“I suppose to some extent he does (fit the bill), yeah. Not because there’s any ambition in that appointment and not because it’s going to get Sheffield Wednesday out of this division.

"What it will do is avert an immediate crisis. And for Sheffield Wednesday fans, do you want a more aspirational environment or do you want an environment that’s constantly treading water?”

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

How did Rotherham get on after he left? Did he leave them in a better position than what he found them? 

He hits his targets with a shit but "effective" style. It's not football though.

Megson got Bolton into Europe playing terrible football. I didnt want him at Wednesday either but at the time we had literally no choice. Pulis plays the percentages and it 's got him a lot of jobs and a lot of money. It's got him absolutely no fans  (maybe one seeing as you have no issue with him).

You say you've seen his teams but you think that we wont be pumping it into the sky to battle for scraps? We could have peak Xavi and Iniesta and he'd still knock it long. It's ingrained in his DNA. 

Some people dont care that we are in an endless cycle of crap managers playing crap football until they get sacked and we go through the same process again. I do care. I want us to change for the better. Other people are happy to settle for the mediocre as long as it means we get the results now.

It's sad.

Obviously he left them in a better position they were in the relegation zone and he kept them up? so yes a division better than they would've been without him, gave the next manager a full season to achieve the next target set by Tony Stewart, that was Alan Stubbs who miserably failed and failed everywhere else he's been since.

what does its not football mean? football has the same end goal doesn't it? to win games? there isn't a right or wrong way to play football but the end goal is always the same, win games.

Not saying i don't have issues with TP,  no one wants hoofball for 90 minutes shelling every single ball aimlessly but i have no problem with mixing it up if its effective as long as we win games. He's not my first choice at all, but he's better than most names mentioned like Campbell and Neville and he's far from a mug, much rather have this than a unknown quantity like Jos again.

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

Six weeks ago our ambition was to be in 21st place and people were saying we'd have no chance with Monk...now apparently we need someone to drive us up the table playing open attacking football with a view to the playoffs....you couldn't write it

Still... Gives you an opportunity to twist the situation so you can bash Sheffield Wednesday fans doesn't it?

lol

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

Six weeks ago our ambition was to be in 21st place and people were saying we'd have no chance with Monk...now apparently we need someone to drive us up the table playing open attacking football with a view to the playoffs....you couldn't write it

cuckoo fantasy land that most of our fans live in

48 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

If the future is trying to eke out 1-0 wins amid a general air of tedium count me out. Most of his recent career has been about survival. About scraping wins and . scraping draws to stay in the Premier League. At Boro it should have been about dominating teams and bossing games. That's not his style and ultimately they failed.

If football was just about the result I'd get as much fulfilment watching Final Score as I do going to games. For me it isn't - the game itself - not the other things that surround the game of being with your mates - is about drama and excitement and goalmouth action. Strip that away and it's not worth my time and money to  be honest. I'm snookered for next season as Chansiri already has my cash and given the tardiness of handing out refunds for last season I can't see me ever getting that back. But it's a sunk cost and if it's crap I just won't bother going any more. I've been close to it recently and this might be it.

Fair play to you for investing your hard earned money in the club. I made the decision a while back that DC wasnt getting a bean out of me until he either left or ran it much more professionally. That will continue to be the case I suspect.

However football has always been about results and league tables are based on wins, draws and losses not artistic merit, so if Chansiri has made the pragmatic choice in Pulis then its his money and his decision and we the fans will just have to live with it.

If the Pulis appointment works and we start winning games, climbing the table and the feel good factor returns then I suspect the vast majority of Pulis naysayers will grit their teeth and return to watch a winning side in action ( when possible ).

If it doesnt work out then the purist's amongst our fanbase will always be able to say that they were right all along and that football should be played on the floor not in the air blah blah blah.

At the end of the day we all want a successful SWFC we just have different ideas of how that should be achieved. I guess that the only opinion on this that matters is our esteemed owners.

I don't know why crap is just accepted because it's football and that's what you're "supposed" to do

"Oh but we've had poo for years so a couple more years won't hurt huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuur"

If you really loved Coca Cola and they replaced one of the ingredients with human poo you'd stop drinking it and vote with your wallet, football should be no different

50 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Absolutely.

Lots of people seem to think Pulis is worth the tedium because he will get us to the premier league. He won't.

His speciality is grinding out results with poor teams at the bottom of the table. He can only play one way. Sit back, keep it tight and try and nick a goal. He will keep us up but that's it.

Yes he got stoke promoted but that was 12 years ago and football has changed since then (and he was lucky that year that he only needed 79 points for automatic).

THIS. 

ALL day this.

Anybody who thinks he will get us promoted are deluded. No evidence to prove that.

Any half decent manager should keep us up...Monk would have. 

But we want more than that don't We? Pulls will have us midtable at best and playing horrendous percentages football.

There will be no grand plan, no style of play which we can be proud of or look forward to.

Dull, uninspiring, negative and passive.

Basically Jos and Monk combined.

Edited by trev
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, trev said:

THIS. 

ALL day this.

Anybody who thinks he will get us promoted are deluded. No evidence to prove that.

Any half decent manager should keep us up...Monk would have. 

But we want more than that don't We? Pulls will have us midtable at best and playing horrendous percentages football.

There will be no grand plan, no style of play which we can be proud of or look forward to.

Dull, uninspiring, negative and passive.

Basically Jos and Monk combined.

He will be better than both Jos and Monk combined.

1 hour ago, theowlsman said:

I, the undersigned, as a football fan of Sheffield Wednesday, do not want Tony Pulis as manager. His teams do not play the type of football I want to see, though I respect him as an experienced football manager.

theowlsman

Feel free to disagree or join me by adding your name.

Tweet Att Chansiri, I have for what its worth.

• Haha 1

Guest Grandad
1 minute ago, sherlyegg said:

Wonderful..

Dc reads it, oh ffs i'm off enough is enough..bolllaxe to it.

Admin, -12 pts, relegated...bust.

Wonderful idea

I'd take Admin and 12 points and certain relegation to start again next year under new leadership