The enigma that is Jordan Rhodes

14 minutes ago, B&WOwl said:

Think it’s clear Rhodes is past his prime, but there is faith in his partnership with Wickham. 
Wonder if the tactic is to create space for Wickham by luring out defenders. 

Quite ironic that Rhodes was sold by Roy Keane at Ipswich to make way for the emerging Wickham. Hopefully it's all fate and Wednesday benefit from their paths crossing again all these years later.

He’s done OK these last two matches. He’s been on the end of a couple of half chances in both matches, which is a positive. His movement in the box has been decent.

I think that may be down to us playing a bit more positively and getting balls into the box from wide areas. We also seem to be committing more men forward from midfield to get in and around the box to occupy the oppositions defenders.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Albertowl said:

Quite ironic that Rhodes was sold by Roy Keane at Ipswich to make way for the emerging Wickham. Hopefully it's all fate and Wednesday benefit from their paths crossing again all these years later.

Didn’t know that. 

If you look at piggy sharps statistics before joining the blunts for this last stint they weren't spectacular. Scunthorpe being the exception. Sometimes strikers need the right system and partner to flourish.

We've seen the stats with Rhodes and Fletcher, I can see it working with Wickham for the same reason that Rhodes loves a big man to play off picking up the scraps. He's not past it by any means. Suffering a lack of confidence definitely but not past it. It will click again we just have to hope it's with us and right now the only other option is Wickham and Nuhiu. I know which partnership I prefer to try. 

• Like 1

Rhodes is a confidence player if someone is. I can imagine that it's hard for him to get things going as he's been in and out of the squad and starting lineup all the time. Now he has his chance to show if he can make it, we don't have many options to try. Nuhiu is a perfect impact sub, which I hope Monk understands as well so the Wickham - Rhodes partnership should be given some time to settle. Four points out of six is much more than I expected so no need to change things up front right now.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, andytrig said:

How many minutes of football has he played at Hillsborough in that time?

It's a great stat and completely ignores the fact that he was on loan at Norwich for a season.

He proved at Forest earlier in the season that he's still capable of scoring goals. I hope a run of games and some confidence could get him firing again.

Looked this up and since his last goal at Hillsborough he’s made 9 starts and 10 substitute appearances and has played 875 minutes in total.

Of the games he’s started since his last goal he’s only finished 90 minutes twice.

The 9 starts were against Bristol City, Wolves, Burton, Cardiff, Derby, Ipswich, Reading, Bristol City and Forest. 

The 10 substitute appearances were against Hull, Boro, Reading, Bolton, Barnsley, Everton, Swansea, Brentford, Cardiff and Hull

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, FinnishOwl said:

Rhodes is a confidence player if someone is. I can imagine that it's hard for him to get things going as he's been in and out of the squad and starting lineup all the time. Now he has his chance to show if he can make it, we don't have many options to try. Nuhiu is a perfect impact sub, which I hope Monk understands as well so the Wickham - Rhodes partnership should be given some time to settle. Four points out of six is much more than I expected so no need to change things up front right now.

When he first arrived we were coming off a play-off final appearance, were in the promotion reckoning again and he played in all of the first 20 games, starting 16 of them. When it comes to confidence there can't be much better circumstances than that. He scored 3 goals in that time. Since then he has failed to convince no fewer than 4 different management teams (if you include caretaker Bullen) to play him much, even during a couple of injury crises.

7 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

When he first arrived we were coming off a play-off final appearance, were in the promotion reckoning again and he played in all of the first 20 games, starting 16 of them. When it comes to confidence there can't be much better circumstances than that. He scored 3 goals in that time. Since then he has failed to convince no fewer than 4 different management teams (if you include caretaker Bullen) to play him much, even during a couple of injury crises.

That's exactly what I meant. He couldn't produce what he was bought for, so confidence shot and never regained. If he was bullied, I wouldn't be surprised as he somehow seems an easy target.

He probably liked it at Norwich so it's a shame they only made a p***take offer. It would have been the best option for all parties if he had ended up there this season.

• Like 1

Its been said before but he just never adapted his game. He seems to have lost half a yard of pace so even with his decent movement defenders can recover against him.

The comparisons with sharp are always interesting as they probably were similar types of players early in their career but they're not now. As sharps got older hes improved his fitness and put plenty of work in the gym. Jordan by comparison still looks and plays the same way he did when he was 20 and still gets brushed of the ball far to easy. He must be taller than sharp too so there is no reason he couldnt bulk up and improve his backing in/hold up play which would have helped his career.

That said Id persist with him and wickham now until the end of the season as this formation suits him to a point just cant see his record here improving.

Guest Grez Bez

He's looked good the last couple of games. His movement is great and helps those around him.  Wickham suffered when he went off.

Nice to see as previously I had no idea what he offered. Didn't seem to do anything right.

I'm confident with Rhodes and Wickham up front for the last few games

As our options up top are limited it doesn’t help but he does seem to have done OK post lockdown; few neat lay offs and touches and a few good runs that he’s just missed a shot or blocked for example. If he can get a goal who knows may kick start a run, working with wickham is ideal partner as someone who’s big and strong (previously had gestede and Novak I believe during his Blackburn and Huddersfield days ) 

he’s only 30 so surely got a good few years in him I mean look at sharp at sheff u , he must be 34 now!? So you never know if he can get on a run 

I think every manager he’s played under since coming to Hillsborough has given Rhodes game time. It’s difficult to keep a striker on the pitch who contributes little to run of play if he keeps firing blanks.

I’m guessing he’s only got a couple more games without scoring before he loses his place to Da Cruz. The latter is young, willing and will be the type of player Monk will want to see more of with an eye to next season’s squad.

Probably the best chance he’s had playing alongside Wickham, don’t blow it Jordan.

It’s a shame but it’s just not happening for the lad although I agree he does look more promising. Should have scored 2 games back against forest for me. Got in a good position to strike it early against the keeper but took too many touches.