The enigma that is Jordan Rhodes

34 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Reckless signing.  Absolute joke he’s still on the books after 3 and half years of underperformance.

Jordan ‘Mr 1 million quid per goal’ Rhodes has come to symbolise everything bad about the DC era.

Very true, sadly.

2 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

So someone has to be involved in goals to change a game?

As stated earlier some of us understand football and some of you don't.

So as an enlightened football genius who sees much more than everyone else, could you share with us what Rhodes brings to the team?

I remember being in the away end at Bristol City one Tuesday night when his signing was confirmed and the excitement rippling through the Wednesdayites. I really thought he would be the final piece of the jigsaw. Did Carlos ever really give him a chance? Personally I don’t think so. I just hope him and Wickham click together in these next few games, but if Rhodes moves on you can almost be certain he will score goals for his new club and almost certainly, the next time he returns to S6. 

12 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

I remember being in the away end at Bristol City one Tuesday night when his signing was confirmed and the excitement rippling through the Wednesdayites. I really thought he would be the final piece of the jigsaw. Did Carlos ever really give him a chance? Personally I don’t think so. I just hope him and Wickham click together in these next few games, but if Rhodes moves on you can almost be certain he will score goals for his new club and almost certainly, the next time he returns to S6. 

I don’t think Carlos wanted him, and rightly so. 

And I think your being optimistic on Rhodes future 

56 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

So as an enlightened football genius who sees much more than everyone else, could you share with us what Rhodes brings to the team?

I will try but I doubt you will understand.

First of all when he plays on the shoulder of the last defender he allows us to play further up the pitch. Although he doesn't have great pace he does have great movement which scares defenders.

This helps stretch teams and allows our midfielders and wingbacks to get higher up the pitch and press and play. He did this very well against Brentford ( but he wasn't involved in either goal) 😃

He also has great movement in and around the box, an example of this on Sunday was when he had a shot blocked at the near post. If Murphy had played the ball earlier and not took an extra touch with his left foot he may have scored rather than run out of room for the shot. He also works hard for the team. This goes unnoticed largely because he doesn't win a lot of tackles. What he does do though is stops the early pass from defenders by closing them down enough to stall. It isn't getting tight but blocking the pass.( this is known in the game as screening) It allows the defence to get back in shape.

He was also dropping deeper and holding the ball up well on Sunday, he just keeps it simple neat and tidy which again goes unnoticed.He does this a lot which allows us to build.

He was often doubling up on players with Lee and Luongo when pressing, again this goes unnoticed.

Their was a lot of rotation with him and Wickham. one dropping deep (into the hole) while the other plays off the shoulder. This makes us less predictable when they do this and makes defenders uncertain.

He is also very good defensively from set pieces. Wins a lot of near post headers from the Alan Shearer position.

You're welcome.

Edited by Emilianenko
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

47 minutes ago, Rogers said:

He’s not much of an enigma for defenders. They’ve worked him out

That's such a strange statement mate

I often wonder when I see posts like this if the people posting it really believe what they're typing as they type it.

'They've worked him out'

If you even begin to start investigating this phrase and breaking it down if literally falls immediately into total farce

No offence personally like - it's just this type of throwaway phrase that people use get my back up because they have a value of zero intellectually, but they're the sort of phrase that others will read and repeat until it becomes the norm.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

I will try but I doubt you will understand.

First of all when he plays on the shoulder of the last defender he allows us to play further up the pitch. Although he doesn't have great pace he does have great movement which scares defenders.

This helps stretch teams and allows our midfielders and wingbacks to get higher up the pitch and press and play. He did this very well against Brentford ( but he wasn't involved in either goal) 😃

He also has great movement in and around the box, an example of this on Sunday was when he had a shot blocked at the near post. If Murphy had played the ball earlier and not took an extra touch with his left foot he may have scored rather than run out of room for the shot. He also works hard for the team. This goes unnoticed largely because he doesn't win a lot of tackles. What he does do though is stops the early pass from defenders by closing them down enough to stall. It isn't getting tight but blocking the pass.( this is known in the game as screening) It allows the defence to get back in shape.

He was also dropping deeper and holding the ball up well on Sunday, he just keeps it simple neat and tidy which again goes unnoticed.He does this a lot which allows us to build.

He was often doubling up on players with Lee and Luongo when pressing, again this goes unnoticed.

Their was a lot of rotation with him and Wickham. one dropping deep (into the hole) while the other plays off the shoulder. This makes us less predictable when they do this and makes defenders uncertain.

He is also very good defensively from set pieces. Wins a lot of near post headers from the Alan Shearer position.

You're welcome.

I am not a Rhodes hater at all. but you could apply most of that to Nuhiu and it would fit just as well. 

And if we want someone to play on the shoulder, stretch the game and really scare defenders into dropping deep. I suggest we try Harris up there.

Ultimately I like at it like this.

Rhodes was brought as a prolific goalscorer that would get the goals to get us promoted. it's what we paid the big money and wages for. But for whatever reason he has not delivered. All the stuff you say he does is good but it's not 10m pound and 40 odd grand a week wages worth is it. its basically a professional strikers job.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I am not a Rhodes hater at all. but you could apply most of that to Nuhiu and it would fit just as well. 

And if we want someone to play on the shoulder, stretch the game and really scare defenders into dropping deep. I suggest we try Harris up there.

Ultimately I like at it like this.

Rhodes was brought as a prolific goalscorer that would get the goals to get us promoted. it's what we paid the big money and wages for. But for whatever reason he has not delivered. All the stuff you say he does is good but it's not 10m pound and 40 odd grand a week wages worth is it. its basically a professional strikers job.

No it wouldn't.

45 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's such a strange statement mate

I often wonder when I see posts like this if the people posting it really believe what they're typing as they type it.

'They've worked him out'

If you even begin to start investigating this phrase and breaking it down if literally falls immediately into total farce

No offence personally like - it's just this type of throwaway phrase that people use get my back up because they have a value of zero intellectually, but they're the sort of phrase that others will read and repeat until it becomes the norm.

What isn't there to believe that defenders have worked him out; the player is slow, has no tricks, and little movement.  What's farcical about the comment.  Once a goal scorer, and now he's pretty useless. 

Are you going to break down and analyse (not investigate) every comment in the fear that they may become 'a phrase that people repeat and become the norm'.

Check yourself mate, you sound a bit mental. 

Edited by Rogers
  • Like 1