The enigma that is Jordan Rhodes

2 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

You can’t really say that when the pigs were promoted with Sharp/mcgoldick and Norwich with Pukki

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

Yep

It’s all about the style of the team.

If you play like Brentford then you need a pacy striker.

Pigs overload the flanks and generally rely on crosses into the box so pace not as important 

Pukki is all about his movement but he is quick over a few yards but mainly Norwich get their pace down the flanks.

The absolute must for Rhodes is he needs to play in an attacking team and not a counterattacking one because of his lack of pace.

Both McGoldrick and Pukki are more mobile than either Rhodes or Wickham, but I take your point

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Go back and watch the first half from Wednesday evening. That’s just not true. He was involved in pretty much everything we did well that half.

I’m talking about 3 and a half years, not 45 minutes.

• Haha 2

On 29/06/2020 at 11:23, edwinowl said:

Personally I’ve always been a fan but I will

admit he hasn’t hit anywhere near his best whilst here. I have however  seen something in these two games Partnered with CW that gives me some optimism. He appears to relish the in behind and on the shoulder role again that’s been his signature all these years that made him so successful. I’d like to see these two continue for the rest of the season and then we can re assess him but he’s definitely getting into scoring positions again and it’s only a matter of time for me before he goes on a scoring spree. Let’s be positive for the lad. 

He’s an enigma wrapped in a one dimensional tactic wrapped in an unwillingness to change wrapped in a “can’t be arsed” attitude in my humble opinion. 

• Like 4

Our win over QPR is probably our best performance since beating Leeds in January.

Our squad options have been depleted by players leaving, fatigue and injuries.

Rhodes contribution this weekend?

Sat on his ass and got paid more than most (if not all) of his colleagues.

• Like 3

The blame for pisssing millions up the wall on Rhodes lies firmly with DC.

Have it on good authority that Gibson and Rhodes's agent could not believe their luck that a club would be so stupid.

One of many massive errors brought about by having someone in charge with no idea how to effectively run a club.

No blame on Rhodes whatsoever.

• Like 3

That's

29 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

One of many massive errors brought about by having someone in charge with no idea how to effectively run a club.

No blame on Rhodes whatsoever.

That's the thing people should understand. The player or agent is not stupid for asking the money. The club is stupid if they are paying without proper due diligence.

• Like 2

On 29/06/2020 at 11:23, edwinowl said:

Personally I’ve always been a fan but I will

admit he hasn’t hit anywhere near his best whilst here. I have however  seen something in these two games Partnered with CW that gives me some optimism. He appears to relish the in behind and on the shoulder role again that’s been his signature all these years that made him so successful. I’d like to see these two continue for the rest of the season and then we can re assess him but he’s definitely getting into scoring positions again and it’s only a matter of time for me before he goes on a scoring spree. Let’s be positive for the lad. 

Didn't Rhodes and Wickham play together at Ipswich when conner first broke through?? Or had Rhodes already gone to Huddersfield?? 

On 04/07/2020 at 14:00, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Sharp, Mcgoldrick, Pukki are all industrious. All work their knackers off and harass defenders. They’ve definitely all got that in common

Which is exactly what De Cruz and Windass did on Saturday...I think Monk will be looking at young hungry players with pace and I'd be happy to go down the Brentford stats route to get them 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Didn't Rhodes and Wickham play together at Ipswich when conner first broke through?? Or had Rhodes already gone to Huddersfield?? 

Dont think they ever did play together did they. Just crossing paths at the same time.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, torryowl said:

all his career he's been a goalscorer and nothing else now the goals have dried up( for whatever reason) then he brings bugger all  to the team .....

Correction - for two thirds of his career he was a goal scorer 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Shetland Owl said:

Think he will be off to Norwich, Monk has tried him a few times with no return

I think from the past couple of games Monk is done with him apart from when he needs him as the squad is so small now.

Atdhe getting preference ahead of him and won't even be here next year.

I'll always wonder why it's not worked out for him here? He had a decent season at Norwich, so he's obviously still got it in his locker but no manager here who has had him at their disposal has been able to get a tune out of him.

I thought he looked sharp in the first three games after lockdown but then for whatever reason Monk dropped him to the bench and he hasn't really been used since. If we can move him on between now and the end of the next transfer window, we most likely will but as we look at all the problems we are now facing, the transfer windows of season 2016/17 have really gone a long way to putting us in the position we are in now?