The enigma that is Jordan Rhodes

We are  a much better team when he plays.

Comes back into the team at half time against Brentford. He stretches them and we turn a 1-0 scoreline round to win 2-1.

Starts against Derby and we are 1-0 up when he comes off. we draw 1-1.

Starts against Forest in our best performance of the season.

Starts against Stoke aand then dropped as we go on a horrendous run of form.

Starts against Wigan , comes off at 1-1 and we go on to lose.

Starts in the Cup win vs QPR.

After the Covid break he comes back in to the team and we take 4 pointd from 2 tough games against promotion chasing opposition.

But clearly he adds nothing.😎

• Like 1

People pulling the slightest positive from his play, be it MISSING chances.

That's NOT POSITIVE

No point saying  wellllll he was there in the right place to miss it.........  The right place is also created by the rest of the team, it just means HE wasted all their good effort.

has to dramatically improve or goodbye.

2 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

I like the partnership he has with Wickham. For me those 2 starting together is what we should do in as many of the remaining games as possible. 

Looking at the squad, Try giving me another combination !!    UTO 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edwinowl said:

Personally I’ve always been a fan but I will

admit he hasn’t hit anywhere near his best whilst here. I have however  seen something in these two games Partnered with CW that gives me some optimism. He appears to relish the in behind and on the shoulder role again that’s been his signature all these years that made him so successful. I’d like to see these two continue for the rest of the season and then we can re assess him but he’s definitely getting into scoring positions again and it’s only a matter of time for me before he goes on a scoring spree. Let’s be positive for the lad. 

That’s a huge amount of straw clutching To be fair, I have been able to detect a very slight improvement in his last two run outs Nothing of any real note to threaten the keepers, but the link up play has been better. Because both him and Wickham lack pace, they will probably need to get nearer each other 

TBH now we're playing 352 with two wide men crossing the ball in every time... there's more chance of Rhodes scoring than having him playing with his back to goal trying to flick things on with his head.

Edited by daveyboy66
  • Like 3

Guest Jack the Hat
3 hours ago, wilyfox said:

He's obsolete. 

Nah, if anything he’s got slimmer since lockdown.

1 hour ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

To be fair, playing anybody as a lone striker and belting 90 yard balls upfield for them to win headers against 6’ 4” defenders wouldn’t make anyone click.

It doesn't matter what style of play we have. How many times did he look for the ball when we were attacking? How many runs did he make into the box when we had it wide? How many times did he actually look like scoring? With the exception of one game (Forest away) thats been the end result since we signed him. But no, he's great we just don't play to his strengths!

Carlos was still managing us when Rhodes last scored at Hillsborough!

But we have to stick with him for the remainder of the season. We’ve barely any other options and he has played alright in the last two games... could have been on the score sheet in both

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Never give up on a player when you are still paying their wages but I am not holding my breath on Jordon Rhodes coming good.
Didn't notice him much yesterday.

He had 2 efforts only denied by great blocks tbf. Most dangerous he's looked in sometime for us 

3 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Carlos was still managing us when Rhodes last scored at Hillsborough!

But we have to stick with him for the remainder of the season. We’ve barely any other options and he has played alright in the last two games... could have been on the score sheet in both

That’s it in a nutshell.

We have 3 strikers - Nuhiu, Rhodes, Wickham.

Monk has chosen 352 and let’s not be coy -  it’s really promising.

So all 3 are going to get plenty of game time in the next 7 games.

Da Cruz doesn’t seem to play striker. When he comes on he goes straight to the wing. 

Worst-case:-  Rhodes flops and the team flops. He remains worthless.

Best-case:- It works, team succeeds, he scores a few, Monk has a keep v sell dilemma, but at least he might have a few million price tag once again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

Even though Wickham has never been our player, he’s now scored the same number of league goals for Wednesday as Rhodes (11 each).

And Rhodes has scored the same number of league goals at Hillsborough for Huddersfield as he has for Wednesday (4 for both clubs). 

Rhodes last goal at Hillsborough came on the 31 October 2017. That’s some goal drought on your home ground 

How many games has he started ?

He contributes far too little in open play to offer any use while he's not scoring.

It's not his fault but he's so incredibly slow these days, not good enough technically to dribble round anyone, can't shoot from long range, and can't out muscle anyone, any ball played into him has to be absolutely perfect (not our best quality), for him to score.

Plus his finishing isn't reliable anymore anyway. 

I just don't see any quality he brings to the team that anyone quicker and stronger (not hard to find) couldn't do better, before you even get started on the technical stuff.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

We are  a much better team when he plays.

Comes back into the team at half time against Brentford. He stretches them and we turn a 1-0 scoreline round to win 2-1.

Starts against Derby and we are 1-0 up when he comes off. we draw 1-1.

Starts against Forest in our best performance of the season.

Starts against Stoke aand then dropped as we go on a horrendous run of form.

Starts against Wigan , comes off at 1-1 and we go on to lose.

Starts in the Cup win vs QPR.

After the Covid break he comes back in to the team and we take 4 pointd from 2 tough games against promotion chasing opposition.

But clearly he adds nothing.😎

I have to admire some of our fans desperation to try and convince themselves that Rhodes is any good! Even down to claiming that the turnaround against Brentford was somehow down to him, and we wouldn't have conceded that soft pen at Derby had he been on the pitch - even falsely saying that he got subbed against Wigan and then we lost, when actually it was him who came on as sub when we were drawing and we subsequently lost.

Fact is that apart from one freak half against Forest he hasn't scored a goal for us since April 2018, he hasn't scored at Hillsborough since October 2017, and he hasn't contributed an assist at all since December 2017. 72 appearances in all, (41 starts),13 goals, 4 assists. With his record transfer fee and huge wages that's probably working out at something like a million quid a goal.

• Like 4

If he can work as hard as he did against Bristol , keep trying and getting into dangerous areas, then that is a good place to be. He is one of only 3 strikers, we therefore need him . If he grafts and works and helps keep us up , then gets a good loan deal away next season then good for him. 

• Like 1

Just for a little perspective on the respective reputations of the two players on this site amongst some...

Jordan Rhodes (entire Wednesday career)        41+31 appearances, 13 goals.

Atdhe Nuhiu (16th January - 6th May 2018)      16+6 appearances, 13 goals.                

• Like 5
  • Haha 1