Poll - Our Current Malaise

Who Is Responsible For SWFC's Current Terminal Decline?  

467 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think has caused the rot?

• Dejphon Chansiri - Bags of money but zero experience in football, is the main man the catalyst of our decline
    • Garry Monk - Only here a few months, no backroom staff and other peoples players, some odd team selections and substitutions haven't helped
    • The Players - virtually the same core players from 4-5 years ago, are they mentally prepared for the challenge we face.

Bit of each imo, dc needs an experienced advisor and appointed cc who was wasteful, jos who was a disaster and monk who is very average so far, did get bruce though who was turning things around, that was bad luck really.

Could even add some fans for pining for likes of rhodes, we're all wednesday!

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Our chairman has resorted to 15 year season tickets.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out where the problem lies.

Yep.................................15 year season tickets can't defend or score goals...............................we should sack them and play older players.

Oh, think I may have read that wrong :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Beholder said:

Winnal was a terrible signing.

I can’t quite agree with that. You can say that Winnall was a gamble that hasn’t paid off, but he’s exactly the sort of signing we should have been making more often, even though with hindsight it hasn’t really worked out for him. 

We signed Winnall in the January transfer window. He’d already scored 11 league goals for struggling Barnsley in the first half of that season and looked outstanding for them. He only cost us £500k and wasn’t on huge wages. 

Up and coming players performing well at Championship and League 1 level should have been our main targets. Just think, we could probably have taken a punt on 6 or 7 Winnall’s for the amount of money we wasted on Abdi. Even if only 2 or 3 had been successful, we’d have been in a far stronger position. 

Most on here agreed at the time that Winnall was a really astute signing. I’m certainly not going to give the club any grief over that one. 

A bit of 1, the concept of a family of players all brothers fighting for the success of the club was a nice idea but impractical. Give some players an inch and they will take a mile, or in this case take the pee.

2, not at all his fault. Monk has tried to use the players he inherited and tried everything to make it work but has now reached the end of his tether. It's not his fault but let's see how he does in the summer, if he's got his hands tied by P & S it might take a couple of seasons but getting rid of the players who don't give their all will be a big step in the right direction.

3, bears 85% of the blame, too comfy. They have proved time and again they have the ability to make us a great team but they don't have the need or desire to sustain the effort for a full season. They blow hot and cold and have done for 3 years or so. Good bye and see ya later.

All of the above but mainly 1. If we do get a points deduction we could well end up in league 1 and it will be obvious who is to blame. Even if that doesn't happen it's hard to see us reaching the premier league any time soon. And with long term season tickets dc has messed up our finances for the foreseeable future

The squad of course does need a refresh and a fair few need moving on. But the reason we are in this situation with the squad is mismanagement from above.

Finally it would be hard to place much blame on monk. But is he really the guy to get the most out of a mediocre squad? Can he create a promotion challenging team on a modest budget? I certainly have my doubts.

There is no doubting he wants to succeed but after 5 years we are still making so may basic mistakes and expecting the fans to pay for it with increasingly stupid ideas the 10 yr season ticket for me was the final straw.

DC is to blame for most of our issues and his one year plan of promotion or bust. He also does not get the people in to help instead brings in those with inadequate or the wrong type of experience. 

I simple cannot see anything changing until we either get a new owner or go bust.

5 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

1&3 in equal measure. Both go hand in hand. 

I agree and would have voted 1and 3 if it was possible.

I would not apportion any blame to Monk or his tactics. We have capitulated playing 4-4-2, 4-3-3 and 4-1-4-1/4-2-3-1
These abject performances and losing sequences have gone on under threee managers, the constant factor is our underperforming players.

All 3 but mostly 1 and 3 (plus previous managers).

Atrocious recruitment and numerous poor on the field and off the field mistakes. A lack of an identity or an ethos coupled with the terrible player recruitment, high wages for players with little re-sale value and a lack of player sales as cost us dearly ever since the Wembley play off final.

33 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

All 3 but mostly 1 and 3 (plus previous managers).

Atrocious recruitment and numerous poor on the field and off the field mistakes. A lack of an identity or an ethos coupled with the terrible player recruitment, high wages for players with little re-sale value and a lack of player sales as cost us dearly ever since the Wembley play off final.

All pretty much spot on. Fans identified some of the issues at the play off final, yet they were never solved (we lose the midfield battle too often). I’m not one who thinks players don’t try, Adbi may be an exception, but usually there is stuff in the background that we just aren’t aware of. Who knows what is said or promised behind closed doors, who knows, just as one example, whether Kieran Lee was played more than once totally against medical advice, but there’s obviously been things going on that aren’t right. If you watched Westwood when he got back in the side under Bullen, you would be convinced without doubt that he was passionate about the club, yet now we question it. 

I wouldn't be blaming the players they didn't ask to come here …...when you sign players you look at there ability obviously  but  also  there character are they fighters will they give you everything will they fit into a squad ethic  this lot evidently don't so whoever signed them  needs to carry the can . 

• Haha 1

I think DC means well but just hasn’t had a clue. Didn’t take the right advice at the right times.

But the players are picking up a fair whack for total inconsistency amongst three (excluding Bruce) different managers. They have to shoulder some of the blame.

3 hours ago, snaykz said:

I can’t quite agree with that. You can say that Winnall was a gamble that hasn’t paid off, but he’s exactly the sort of signing we should have been making more often, even though with hindsight it hasn’t really worked out for him. 

We signed Winnall in the January transfer window. He’d already scored 11 league goals for struggling Barnsley in the first half of that season and looked outstanding for them. He only cost us £500k and wasn’t on huge wages. 

Up and coming players performing well at Championship and League 1 level should have been our main targets. Just think, we could probably have taken a punt on 6 or 7 Winnall’s for the amount of money we wasted on Abdi. Even if only 2 or 3 had been successful, we’d have been in a far stronger position. 

Most on here agreed at the time that Winnall was a really astute signing. I’m certainly not going to give the club any grief over that one. 

Winnall looked an astute signing until we signed Rhodes a short time after, in a few days Winnall was surplus (on paper anyway as we didn't quite realise how bad JR would be).

1 minute ago, toppOwl said:

Winnall looked an astute signing until we signed Rhodes a short time after, in a few days Winnall was surplus (on paper anyway as we didn't quite realise how bad JR would be).

This is why I blame the chairman, there was no long term plan when we bought Rhodes. I don't buy all of this 'well all the fans wanted him'.  Quite a few of us  at the time said that he wasn't the right type of player we needed. I had no issue with the Winnall signing, relatively cheap, in form and a decent age. The problem with Winnall has been he hasn't improved as a player since being with us. That is a gamble you take and I have no issue with that.  With Fletcher & Winnall already at the club Rhodes was a signing we just didn't need.

The chairman should've had a sustainable rolling 3 year financial strategy, not just a win or bust throw of the dice.  You plan correctly and you can challenge the play offs every year, you plan like we did and you have one or two massive tilts at it then its 3-4 years (minimum) in the wilderness.