January transfer window

Just now, Morepork said:

As Fletch is integral to how we're playing we'd be absolutely crazy not to line up another forward in the same mould.

That's Nuhiu surely? He's not as good, but any player we have as back-up isn't going to be.

If we could add one player, I'd rather we had someone quick we could throw on, or to occasionally play off Fletcher when we play 2 up top. A bit like Joao, but hopefully not as maddeningly inconsistent as he was.

2 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

That's Nuhiu surely? He's not as good, but any player we have as back-up isn't going to be.

If we could add one player, I'd rather we had someone quick we could throw on, or to occasionally play off Fletcher when we play 2 up top. A bit like Joao, but hopefully not as maddeningly inconsistent as he was.

Nah, Nuhiu is the guy that replaces him with ten minutes to go if we’re losing..... lol If Fletch gets injured we’re on struggle street.

Edited by Morepork

4 hours ago, Morepork said:

Nah, Nuhiu is the guy that replaces him with ten minutes to go if we’re losing..... lol If Fletch gets injured we’re on struggle street.

I think Nuhiu is capable of doing a lot more for the team then people think he is.  Same probably applies to the likes of Pelupessy and Fox.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I think Nuhiu is capable of doing a lot more for the team then people think he is.  Same probably applies to the likes of Pelupessy and Fox.

I don't doubt that. Unfortunately though, you just named the top three players of ours that people seem to have little to no patience with.

That aside, I'd still like to see us sign someone in the Fletcher mould even if its just a loan. Like Joao but with consistency....... lol

On 07/10/2019 at 15:38, The Dukeries Owl said:

Who is going to buy Rhodes?

If we could promise 100 extra voters I bet we could convince Jeremy Corbyn to make the purchase 

Edited by poite

Regarding signing a striker, pretty much all of us agree we need one. It’s the type of striker we need, that seems to be deviding opinion. The one asset he must have, I would think, is pace. Our striking options are a bit pedestrian to say the least. 

Because of our lack of goals from elsewhere, he’d also have to be prolific, or potentially so.

Where opinions seem to differ is, do we want someone who can lead the line, or perhaps a smaller player who can play off Fletcher? What complicates things further is, Fletcher has been one of our better players

If we want to continue to play the way we do, with one up, supported by two wingers, then we either need an upgrade on Fletcher, or at least someone who can cover for him People suggest Nuhiu, and although I like him, and consider him a useful member of the squad, him replacing Fletcher for any length of time, would hardly improve our goals output 

Were we to go for a smaller forward, to play off Fletcher, we still have the problem of, who would replace our number 9 if he were absent for any length of time Obviously, if the player was small of stature, but could lead the line in a different way, someone like Pukki for example, then fine. Generally though, those players will be happier playing off a big man 

Of course the other issue would be, we’d have to change the system to accommodate such a player, as we don’t have the midfield pairing necessary to operate as a two One option could be, playing a second striker in one of the wide positions, as Villa did with Kodija That way the system remains the same, but Fletcher would get more support, as the wide player would feel more comfortable around the goal Again though, it’s not an easy decision, because it would mean leaving out one of the current wide players Whichever player we go for though, and it would probably have to be a loan, they will surely offer better options than Winnall or Rhodes

Edited by gurujuan

5 minutes ago, Slogboy said:

Penneys been playing week in week out in the bundesliga 2 in front of huge crowds and some tough competition.

St Pauli have gone 6 games unbeaten and are 5th in the league. No wonder he's loving it out there!

Yes it’s to be hoped his form has been noted by Monk, and a new contract will be heading his way. It’s been a good loan for him, but it could backfire as he will be a free agent at the end of the loan. We are quick to praise Bruce for his signings, but sending Penney out, without renewing his contract, could be a serious gaff

I think It will be a one out and one in policy. Don’t think DC is going to throw more money at it short term. Plus, I think he’s learned that throwing money about doesn’t automatically guarantee you promotion.

I’d like us to bring in a couple of strikers but that’ll be dependant on us getting shut of Rhodes and Winnall. I really would allow Rhodes to leave on a free permanently to allow us and the player to move forward. 

I wouldn’t look at addressing left back until the summer. 

We bought Luongo who was in last year of contract and got him cheap.

Currently in Championship their are numerous players in final year f contract. Hull City have numerous players out of contract including both wingers, left back and Jacson irving.

Jake Cooper at Millwall is another. I could see us being smart andlooking for players in this group.

Personally going forward we need more pace in striking options and energy in midfield. Not sure who or where Monk will want to strengthen but expect we will move a few players out.

Guest wilyfox
46 minutes ago, Quist said:

We bought Luongo who was in last year of contract and got him cheap.

Currently in Championship their are numerous players in final year f contract. Hull City have numerous players out of contract including both wingers, left back and Jacson irving.

Jake Cooper at Millwall is another. I could see us being smart andlooking for players in this group.

Personally going forward we need more pace in striking options and energy in midfield. Not sure who or where Monk will want to strengthen but expect we will move a few players out.

Hull have contract options on both wingers. Irvine or Henriksen would be excellent. 

17 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Would someone like Uche Ikpeazu be worth going in for? Seems like a tall, powerful and pacy forward, that's supposedly generating interest from a few Championship level clubs, by the sounds of it. 

If we buy anyone else from a Scottish club, I will have a heart attack.