January transfer window

33 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Left Back - Kemar Lawrence (New York Red Bulls)

Centre Midfield (Creative) - John Swift (Reading)

Right Wing - Courtney Senior (Colchester United)

I take it they are all playing well this season otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned them. What length of contracts are they on and would they improve our first team or be backup players? What kind of fees we talking ?

Just spent a minute or so searching for a fa g I was smoking when I started this OP. Just found the bloody thing still between my lips, FFS . Avoid old age, lads.Although B J's can be interesting when they take their teeth out and stick them  in a glass for t'neet, :duntmatter:

1 hour ago, cognacbarnowl said:

I take it they are all playing well this season otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned them. What length of contracts are they on and would they improve our first team or be backup players? What kind of fees we talking ?

Just spent a minute or so searching for a fa g I was smoking when I started this OP. Just found the bloody thing still between my lips, FFS . Avoid old age, lads.Although B J's can be interesting when they take their teeth out and stick them  in a glass for t'neet, :duntmatter:

Kemar Lawrence was in the MLS best XI last season also a current Jamaica international. Valued at c1.5 m & gets paid c7k per week (US teams have to publicly declare salary). I am mates with the NYRB Academy Director who says he could do well in the Championship.

Courtney Senior starred in Colchester’s win over Spurs but there’s a lot more to him than that. Only 22. Developed at Brentford’s academy so good footballing principles. Really quick and started out as a striker so has an eye for a goal. Out of contract at the end of this season. Fits into the Wilder hungry young L1 player model and a better long term solution than Murphy. Feels like one of those players we should target before the big clubs make up their mind.

John Swift has played at all England junior levels. He’s a product of Chelsea Academy. Was nominated for the EFL Young Player of the Year in 2017. Was on loan at Toytown where the manager didn’t give him enough game time but the coaching staff rated him very highly. 2 goals and 4 assists this season. Downside is that he is under contract until 2022 so you could imagine he might be valued at 3m or so which is out of our price range. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think we saw again tonight, we need a new centre forward We should have sewn that up in the first half. If we need to raise money, and this might be a bit controversial, I’d sell Reach

I agree. assuming we can have someones pants down and get close to 8 figures for him, which shouldn't be too difficult with all the desperados panic buying in January.

Reach is probably our most saleable asset. And right now I dont feel that he would leave much of a gap in our squad. We have adequate cover.

It’s interesting, I don’t know what our financial situation is at the moment, but if it’s true we had to sell Joao, and couldn’t afford to bring in a replacement, even on loan, how will things have changed come January? We either, won’t be bringing anyone in, or we will have to offload first. Obvious candidates would be Winnall and Rhodes, but if there are no takers, then perhaps it will be Reach or Tom Lees, who surely won’t be content with a bit part role. 

Personally, I’d rather keep Reach and Lees, though the other two can go for me. If we are able to fix up those two, and that enables us to make a couple of loan signings, that would be good business.  

On 19/10/2019 at 00:04, steelerian said:

I agree. assuming we can have someones pants down and get close to 8 figures for him, which shouldn't be too difficult with all the desperados panic buying in January.

Reach is probably our most saleable asset. And right now I dont feel that he would leave much of a gap in our squad. We have adequate cover.

I agree Reach is our most saleable asset, and if  we got a decent bid I'd sell

But who are you thinking about when you say we have adequate cover, because I think we would have to bring a player in, because Murphy is the only cover and he doesn't look bothered.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 minute ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I agree Reach is our most saleable asset, and if  we got a decent bid I'd sell

But who are you thinking about when you say we have adequate cover, because I think we would have to bring a player in, because Murphy is the only cover and he doesn't look bothered.

Do all loan deals have a break clause in January? If so, we can send Murphy home, and bring back Penney

I wonder how much it would cost to get karlan grant from Huddersfield 

still young pretty young strong and quick and seems to have found his scoring boots last couple of seasons 

be interesting to see where he ends up if Huddersfield goes down 

he’s the kind of younger striker if he looking at and could make ya a real handful when we switch to 442 

he can play on both wings but his favoured position is CF 

he could make an instant impact but would definitely make a great replacement for the ageing Fletcher longer term 

Eberechi Eze at QPR is a BALLER. Would love him. I think they will hold out for more than we can afford.

I think this Jan needs to be 2 strong Prem additions. Definitely a striker. Rhodes and Winall aren't good enough back up for Fletcher.

Edited by Matt_1

11 minutes ago, fpowl said:

I wonder how much it would cost to get karlan grant from Huddersfield 

still young pretty young strong and quick and seems to have found his scoring boots last couple of seasons 

be interesting to see where he ends up if Huddersfield goes down 

he’s the kind of younger striker if he looking at and could make ya a real handful when we switch to 442 

he can play on both wings but his favoured position is CF 

he could make an instant impact but would definitely make a great replacement for the ageing Fletcher longer term 

I thought he was an interesting prospect when he was at Charlton, and he’s done OK at Huddersfield. We don’t need to switch to the dreaded 4-4-2 to accommodate a player like him though. He can play wide in a 4-3-3.

Sadly, he would be well out of our price range, unless we were to sell someone like Reach. Even then, any fee might be swallowed up, as it was with the Joao deal. We should though, be able to find that type of player on loan

5 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

Eberechi Eze at QPR is a BALLER. Would love him. I think they will hold out for more than we can afford.

I think this Jan needs to be 2 strong Prem additions. Definitely a striker. Rhodes and Winall aren't good enough back up for Fletcher.

He is, and to think some of us would want £10m+ for Reach. This guys stats blind those of Reach, so I think you’d be looking at double what Reach May fetch

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I thought he was an interesting prospect when he was at Charlton, and he’s done OK at Huddersfield. We don’t need to switch to the dreaded 4-4-2 to accommodate a player like him though. He can play wide in a 4-3-3.

Sadly, he would be well out of our price range, unless we were to sell someone like Reach. Even then, any fee might be swallowed up, as it was with the Joao deal. We should though, be able to find that type of player on loan

Agree he can play anywhere across the the front three as we play or two wide positions and central 

with the stadium sale and João what is our current financial position anyway 

are we at breakeven or have we gone to just meet the 39million losses were allowed 

I don’t think we will get anything for Rhodes or Winnal not much for winnal anyway but a player exchange plus 5million say may sweeten them depends on both our teams ambitions in January 

Huddersfield signed him on an undisclosed fee but the rumours was about 1.5 million so it might be a decent return for them think he’s signed up to 2022 though 

I think thought he’s be a great signing for us if it could happen but like you say my guess is Huddersfield will put a 15 million plus price on him 

who was the last "exciting prospect" we signed? someone with real potential to stay with us for eg 2 seasons and then go on to become an EPL player for a decent fee? Antonio?

over the last several years our transfer policy was been woeful, signing over the hill has beens with very little chance of making a profit on them.

eg Steven Fletcher. Who is finally having a good season (and was free). But on a high wage. And we are never going to make any money on him. as opposed to a young hungry 20 year old with pace burn from div2.

On 24/10/2019 at 11:13, gurujuan said:

He is, and to think some of us would want £10m+ for Reach. This guys stats blind those of Reach, so I think you’d be looking at double what Reach May fetch

We need a long-term replacement for Bannan who is 30 soon. Rather spend £10m on Eze than end up buying several Almen Abdi types with no sell-on value. Easier said than done but still. I'd be delighted to get £3-4m for Reach.

Hopefully we’ll send Murphy back and get another winger in, some other Premier League player they had no chance of getting a games for their club (not from Newcastle). 

A versatile full back as cover would be useful. Or maybe get Matt Penney back! 

Someone like Lewis Grabban wouldn’t go a miss.