January transfer window

I think what we lack most is pace and energy in midfield. Our favourites Bannan, Lee and Hutch are all around the 30 age mark and the newcomer Luongo looks to me like he is slower than all of them. I'm afraid Lee's best days are behind him (I hope I'm wrong) so my choice would be for someone younger who could replace his all-round 'get everywhere, do everything' qualities.

And we need someone who can play in the no 10 role unless Bannan or Fessi can make an impression there. Hooper was the best no 10 I've seen at Hillsborough for years. Based on his performances I'd have him back in a heartbeat but based on his lack of match fitness and injury woes I wouldn't touch him.

54 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

I think what we lack most is pace and energy in midfield. Our favourites Bannan, Lee and Hutch are all around the 30 age mark and the newcomer Luongo looks to me like he is slower than all of them. I'm afraid Lee's best days are behind him (I hope I'm wrong) so my choice would be for someone younger who could replace his all-round 'get everywhere, do everything' qualities.

And we need someone who can play in the no 10 role unless Bannan or Fessi can make an impression there. Hooper was the best no 10 I've seen at Hillsborough for years. Based on his performances I'd have him back in a heartbeat but based on his lack of match fitness and injury woes I wouldn't touch him.

We have Hutchinson, Bannan, Pelupessy, Lee and Luongo and even Reach that can play there. Be surprised if we look to add to that as I can't really see any of them moving on.

Guest Ferkorf

Definitely in need of a solid left back and a striker that has 20 goals a season in him (Yes I know fletchers on fire but hes knocking on).

More importantly its time for Rhodes and maybe winnall to move on.

I'd think about moving forestieri on aswell depending on the situation at the time, hes a quality player but if monk cant get the best out of him we may aswell cash in to fund sources for our weaker areas

I'm going to be a little contrary here.

Unless we lose a few by way of sales, I don't think we should recruit.

I'd like to make the most of what we have, and the better players are not available mid season anyway.   We should wait for the better free's in the close season.

This argument if we are are in and around the top six is a bit harder - do we pull the trigger and spend hoping to hit the jackpot?  In my mind no but most would want us to - work and improve in what we have is my standpoint.    We have a good core of individual players, some of whom are not performing to the top of their game right now.   Look to those underperforming and push them on.    

34 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

I'd like to make the most of what we have, and the better players are not available mid season anyway.   We should wait for the better free's in the close season.

This argument if we are are in and around the top six is a bit harder - do we pull the trigger and spend hoping to hit the jackpot?  In my mind no but most would want us to - work and improve in what we have is my standpoint.    We have a good core of individual players, some of whom are not performing to the top of their game right now.   Look to those underperforming and push them on.    

I would like to think we are talking loans here, any permanent signings can wait until the summer, when there will be players moving on

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Eze would cost millions. Only 21 and won’t be long before a Premier League side pay the money for him. Serious talent. 

Don’t feel we need a target man. Rather we sign a more mobile and quicker forward. Gayle on loan? Would be the stand out choice but wages are very high. 

Millions = £350k ti us. He probably will be high millions, sadly exactly the type of player you sign in January for £8-10m and sell in the summer for £15m+ his stock is rising so fast. QPR have a nice nest egg there.

1 hour ago, Salmonbones said:

Kind of agree. I don't think we need the improvement in 3 or 4 areas that some are talking about.  But I just dont see Monk not adding his own type of player in January I really dont. So would expect at least a couple in and out the door.

Striker, full back and a defensive midfielder beast.

I'd look at the lower leagues or abroad for bargains or try and get in a couple of quality loanees from the top flight. If we spend anything, I'd ship a few out and spend on a astute quality striker on the rise. But rather than spending big, we would be best off being smart and sniffing out some bargains or young loanees, if possible.

20 hours ago, Ferkorf said:

Definitely in need of a solid left back and a striker that has 20 goals a season in him (Yes I know fletchers on fire but hes knocking on).

More importantly its time for Rhodes and maybe winnall to move on.

I'd think about moving forestieri on aswell depending on the situation at the time, hes a quality player but if monk cant get the best out of him we may aswell cash in to fund sources for our weaker areas

Pretty much this ^^^^^

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

A more mobile option up front is essential, to challenge Fletcher

We don’t need 2 mobile strikers, we need someone to play off fletcher.

for everyone moaning about fletchers injury record, the blokes in the shape of his life. How often has he been injured in the past year? 

15 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

for everyone moaning about fletchers injury record, the blokes in the shape of his life. How often has he been injured in the past year? 

Not questioning his fitness, but if we’re playing the one up front, we need someone to share the load Can’t see us going with a 4-4-2, other than the odd occasion 

On 09/10/2019 at 18:35, FreshOwl said:

I'm not knocking Fletcher because this season has been his best for us

But shape of his life or not, he had to have an injection in his ankle to play against Wigan, which is why he didn't win much in the air on the day, especially when he landed heavy on it during the first half

I think if Fletcher had been fully fit against Wigan, we'd have beat them by two or three

Hopefully our medical team will sort him out, but it's early in the season and a bit worrying when your main striker is having to have injections to play

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.