January transfer window

Monk needs to decide what system he wants to play before signing anybody.

For example if we are playing 433 he probably would like a younger, quicker striker who can play as a lone striker, if 442 then it might be someone to play off Fletcher.

They are different animals. 

Somebody above mentioned Che Adams. He was brilliant playing off a big striker last season. Southampton sign him and expect him to play as a lone striker.

Guess what, it hasn’t worked.

Nonsense recruitment.

In theory if we play 442 we shouldn’t really need a striker as we have 4 other than Fletcher , probably costing us about 100k per week, who should be capable of doing a job in a 442. 

5 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

In theory if we play 442 we shouldn’t really need a striker as we have 4 other than Fletcher , probably costing us about 100k per week, who should be capable of doing a job in a 442. 

Several years of having these other strikers have proven they aren't actually good enough for a top 6 assault. 

Guest LittleG
9 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Monk needs to decide what system he wants to play before signing anybody.

For example if we are playing 433 he probably would like a younger, quicker striker who can play as a lone striker, if 442 then it might be someone to play off Fletcher.

They are different animals. 

Somebody above mentioned Che Adams. He was brilliant playing off a big striker last season. Southampton sign him and expect him to play as a lone striker.

Guess what, it hasn’t worked.

Nonsense recruitment.

"Capable of doing a job" says it all. Sorry to disagree with you but Nuihu, Winnall and Rhodes are not up to the required standard to play in a 442. They're many arguments to say that FF cannot play as a second striker and we get more from him when played wide. Whether monk wants to play 442 or 433 the priority signing in Jan is another striker.

3 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Several years of having these other strikers have proven they aren't actually good enough for a top 6 assault. 

I just don’t think we can financially afford to have 100k per week as bench warmers and then add some more wages on top of that to sign somebody else.

If we play 442 , which I wouldn’t, then Monk needs to do his job and get one of them firing alongside Fletcher.

Guest wilyfox

Left-back can wait until summer, for me. Palmer is solid. Odubajo starting to bed in. Fox able cover until his contract expires. We've conceded 9 in 11. Our worries are not defensive. 

45 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Left-back can wait until summer, for me. Palmer is solid. Odubajo starting to bed in. Fox able cover until his contract expires. We've conceded 9 in 11. Our worries are not defensive. 

Yes, and if we’ve been monitoring Penney’s performances in Germany, he will be getting a new contract. If we are continuing with the current set up, then probably a new centre forward is the best way we can improve. 

We need a goal-scoring striker to play off Fletcher in his centre-forward role and a left back to allow Palmer to move back to right back. I’d also like to see an old-fashioned winger that will hug the touchline beat the man, get to the byline and whip in the accurate cross - does that type of player exist anymore?

On 07/10/2019 at 20:10, sMacLean said:

Eze from QPR as an attacking midfielder would be fun and probably a good long-term investment.

Would also have liked Nahki Wells to have come here in the summer, one of the best finishers at this level.

Jutkiewicz at Brum would be a decent target man to switch in and out for Fletcher.

Eze would be a class signing but can’t see it he will go prem.

Not keen on the other two

3 hours ago, shandypants said:

We need a goal-scoring striker to play off Fletcher in his centre-forward role and a left back to allow Palmer to move back to right back. I’d also like to see an old-fashioned winger that will hug the touchline beat the man, get to the byline and whip in the accurate cross - does that type of player exist anymore?

His name is Kadeem Harris and fortunately we already own him.

:biggrin:

• Thanks 1

Agree with others that bringing in a quicker striker would be sensible, and loan seems like the only option unless its a cheaper punt from the lower leagues/abroad.

Wickham is too injury prone these days I'm afraid and Gayle is unrealistic. There's probably a few decent strikers out there though in other prem league reserve teams. Most of whom I've never heard of.

3 hours ago, bigrbuk said:

Heard a whisper we're after Ivan Toney from Peterborough in Jan

He used to live a few doors down from me I remember him being absolutely gutted his move to Wolves broke down when he was a teenager still.

Very down to earth lad who is doing very well.