I’m glad we’ve hired Monk instead of the Cowleys...

6 minutes ago, torres said:

If Monk is given the opportunity to do well here I have every faith he can deliver a team capable of promotion.

If he is lumbered with the mistakes of the past, in terms of budgets, players and staff he has got a task on his hands 

With the mistakes of the past, still sat there, and unlikely to be moved on anytime soon, I fear it will be the latter, for a couple of years at least. If Monk is still here (has he ever stayed that long?) he has the ability to build something solid. 

I think there's been an element of short termism with all Chansiri's appointments so far. As we all know he wants promotion to the premier league as soon as possible and after the relative success of his first two full seasons as Club Owner, he must be extremely frustrated we are still a championship club with an ageing squad and restricted by P&S rules and staring down the barrel of further restrictions in the future?

As for Monk, his reputation is mixed. He is respected by the fans at Leeds, revered by the fans at Swansea and Birmingham but is disliked by the fans at Middlesborough. He also has allegations hanging over him with regards to his agent? Apart from all this his record on the pitch is solid if unspectacular. I think Chansiri is gambling on Monk not having hit his peak as a manager yet and to stand any chance of doing this he has to stay at a club for longer than a year or two. He is forward thinking, not afraid to take advice on from others whether they work in football or other sports and particularly due to his time working for Cellino at Leeds and the circumstances he found himself in at Birmingham, he's had to develop a toughness and become streetwise. All qualities he'll need here.

He'll get time from Chansiri and the chairman will back him as much as he can which gets more difficult every year we stay in the championship. He probably will be fighting each week to placate the fan base but this is down to a variety of factors, envy at Sheffield United's success on a budget, frustration at the way the Chairman runs the club, Ticket prices, SAG/SYP etc?

It's a tough gig and the reason why we probably took so long to replace Bruce? Personally whether promotion is possible or not this season I feel Monk's first task is to show he can have us in and around the Top 8 this season, if he does this then he may get more respect and support from the fan base but as I've said plenty of times before we need to get better full-backs, find a better balance in midfield whether it's from existing or new players and the squad from next summer certainly is going to have to be freshened up. It's a long term job as much as a short term one. If Monk really wants to prove himself and succeed as a manager, he has a real opportunity to do this here. If he's still manager here in 3 years time I suspect he'll be well on the way to doing just that?

Edited by Great Big Galaa
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Bielsa is a massive upgrade on Garry Monk, however it’s spun.  Monk probably did OK at Leeds, as he has done at most of the clubs. It’s whether he can step up from his usual OK, and actually take us somewhere. We will see

Not sure if you've watched the Amazon thing but the biggest thing I took from it is just how difficult this league is.

Leeds will be there at the end of this season if they learn the lessons of last like Wilder did from the season prior.  Monk may have done that if he stayed, we'll never know but it also gave me perspective on how CC did it two years on the bounce by keeping something in the tank for the run in.

Let's hope that Monk is in a position to get us into a position with 6-8 games to go where he can use his previous experience as a positive.

Reading up about him the past couple of days, he has the desire to get back in the Premier League and the first step will be to simply keep is in touch until January for now which I think the present squad is capable of.

13 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

At a club that has been in administration twice and blatantly flouted the rules under Bates. Leeds have built well but its been on other peoples money that this was forged.

And now they are the ones to ask the EFL to investigate our ground sale 

Gutted Cowley has decided to go to Huddersfield. Still was my number one choice to come here. Annoying we have missed out, yes I do think we failed to persuade him to come here, not exactly in the best state off the pitch are we. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

Gutted Cowley has decided to go to Huddersfield. Still was my number one choice to come here. Annoying we have missed out, yes I do think we failed to persuade him to come here, not exactly in the best state off the pitch are we. 

I personally think they wanted to come given they initially turned down Huddersfield. I thunk DC didn’t want to pay the compo and significant wages. 

I honestly think Monk is a cheaper option and a better option. Look at the experience he’s had and a lot in difficult circumstances. Much better pedigree than the Cowley’s.

Time well tell if Cowleys or Monk would have been the better choice.
I feel Cowleys are much better coaches than Monk, much more forward thinking but would be worried if the had come to Wednesday that they wouldn't know how to handle big name players we have. Think overall Monk is a more safe choice, he can employ someone else to coach them in training while he is the manager to make to tough calls.

32 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Time well tell if Cowleys or Monk would have been the better choice.
I feel Cowleys are much better coaches than Monk, much more forward thinking but would be worried if the had come to Wednesday that they wouldn't know how to handle big name players we have. Think overall Monk is a more safe choice, he can employ someone else to coach them in training while he is the manager to make to tough calls.

We don't have any big name players? Not that I'm aware of.

I don;t know anything about the Cowley's methods but they've done well at Lincoln. Time will tell if they can make the step up.

As for Monk, i don't particularly like the bloke as he's been portrayed over the last few years, but hopefully he will take his chance

with us and turn us into a side that can compete higher up the table.

Our luck has to turn at some point

2 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

We don't have any big name players? Not that I'm aware of.

I don;t know anything about the Cowley's methods but they've done well at Lincoln. Time will tell if they can make the step up.

As for Monk, i don't particularly like the bloke as he's been portrayed over the last few years, but hopefully he will take his chance

with us and turn us into a side that can compete higher up the table.

Our luck has to turn at some point

Well not Premier League stars but think we have a few big egos in the dressing room. Think all big clubs in the Championship do, just a fact of modern football and doubt Cowleys man management skills have been tested in that respect.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Well not Premier League stars but think we have a few big egos in the dressing room. Think all big clubs in the Championship do, just a fact of modern football and doubt Cowleys man management skills have been tested in that respect.

Yeah maybe but honestly if any of our players have big egos then i'm perplexed as to why/how? Let's face it most of them are crap!

• Haha 1