I’m glad we’ve hired Monk instead of the Cowleys...

1 minute ago, s29wfc said:

No relevance to Monk, My point about that post was nothing to do with Monk.

The 11 points clear of 3rd place referred to Monk’s time in charge at Leeds.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter - the main point is even though Leeds blew it (under Monk) their fans were very upset when he left for ‘Boro at the end of the season.

2 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Cowleys will be another Nathan Jones at Stoke situation when/if they move to a bigger club 

Fact he turned down Huddersfield because he feels safe at Lincoln tells you all you need to know about how confident he is about going to a bigger club 

And nah... i ain’t buying none of that ‘job to be done here’  ‘Lincoln is a special club’

Nonsense, there’s no loyalty like that in football these days, you don’t turn chances like Huddersfield down because a few bad results and nobody might come knocking again for them 

Got to agree.. wherever they go they are only taking over because the club is in need of turning round, if they have been offered Hudders and us and turned both down it does show a lack of confidence. 

I’ve got a feeling their next project may not necessarily be in the Championship. Clubs like Sunderland and Portsmouth have started not as well as I’m sure they’d have hoped yet spent a lot of money. I wouldn’t be shocked if that’s the sort of job they end up with. 

Would have thought Cowleys might be more interested in somewhere like Brentford or Preston. A stable club, not necessarily a big club. But apparently also settled in their area so prepared to wait for the right opportunity.

Personally I think their attitude is refreshing. The fact that they don't just want big money but want to build something.

19 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

The 11 points clear of 3rd place referred to Monk’s time in charge at Leeds.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter - the main point is even though Leeds blew it (under Monk) their fans were very upset when he left for ‘Boro at the end of the season.

I used to work in Bradford alongside dozens of Leeds fans. They absolutely loved Monk and we’re devastated when he left. 

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

I used to work in Bradford alongside dozens of Leeds fans. They absolutely loved Monk and we’re devastated when he left. 

Do you think they would have him back, now that they’ve seen what a Bielsa can do?

On 06/09/2019 at 18:24, torres said:

Totally agree. 

The reason so many got excited by the Cowley’s is because they have no “baggage”. 

Most of us are well aware of Monk and people make opinions prior to his appointment.

Id expect a lot had never thought about the Cowley brothers until this week! 

Monk is the best appointment we could have made in my opinion 

Exactly this, some people are so short sighted and base their opinions on what someone at the pub has said.

Monk wouldn’t have been my first choice but no doubt he has something to offer and as you say has good experience of this division and the Prem (how many managers can say they have finished 8th in the Premiership?).

The Cowley’s may very well go on to do well but they may also start to struggle in the higher divisions.

Monk is far less of a gamble and given a little time could get us top 6, reading some of his previous clubs forums, some of their fans still rate him.

Good luck MonkMan WAWAW

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Do you think they would have him back, now that they’ve seen what a Bielsa can do?

Bielsa took basically the same team with a couple of (decent/expensive) signings one step further the following season.

They were 10 points clear of United at Christmas (been watching their documentary on Amazon) then ran out of steam and fuckedup spectacularly in the play-off semi 2nd leg v Derby.  Not really that much difference in achievement when you weigh in resources available.

5 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Bielsa took basically the same team with a couple of (decent/expensive) signings one step further the following season.

They were 10 points clear of United at Christmas (been watching their documentary on Amazon) then ran out of steam and fuckedup spectacularly in the play-off semi 2nd leg v Derby.  Not really that much difference in achievement when you weigh in resources available.

Bielsa is a massive upgrade on Garry Monk, however it’s spun.  Monk probably did OK at Leeds, as he has done at most of the clubs. It’s whether he can step up from his usual OK, and actually take us somewhere. We will see

Two ways of looking at this.

Attractive though the idea of a “Cowley Project” is/was, the days of fans and chairmen being relaxed and patient with transition seasons and for long term plans to come to fruition are long gone. In that sense I do think Monk is a better immediate prospect because he knows the league, he knows our players and he has the kind of no nonsense attitude that will add a bit of edge to our dressing room. He knows as we do that when fit the core of our side is competitive at this level - with a bit more bite and a bit more pace I think he will have us top ten and pushing for play offs.

I think a first season with the Cowleys would have involved experiments with formations etc and a partial clear out of the playing staff in January with a view to the summer window and a 2020-21 push. Genuinely not sure the fans would wear the kind of so so results that come with that kind of transition. 

We’ve all watched Wednesday for long enough to know nothing is guaranteed, but at least it can be said that Monk is not a one club wonder. UTO and all the best to him. 

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Bielsa is a massive upgrade on Garry Monk, however it’s spun.  Monk probably did OK at Leeds, as he has done at most of the clubs. It’s whether he can step up from his usual OK, and actually take us somewhere. We will see

If Monk is given the opportunity to do well here I have every faith he can deliver a team capable of promotion.

If he is lumbered with the mistakes of the past, in terms of budgets, players and staff he has got a task on his hands