Positive spin on Monk

19 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Signed Bartley, Roofe and Hernandez at Leeds

He also signed Green, Ayling and Antonsson, so turned an average squad into a very good one and had them challenging at the top of the division despite being hated by everyone. Eventually his own hatred for them got the better of him and he told them to get stuffed and left.

Two big pluses for me, but one big minus regarding his transfer dealings via his agent, which should now be finished, so if he is coming, we should be in fairly good hands and may possibly be in very good hands. Wait and see time, I reckon.

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

This was our chance to get an up and coming manager in, someone the majority could get on board with and really build for the future. By the looks of it Monk will only be here for around a year and then we start this sodding journey again. 

He's younger than your lover Cowley. On another note what's your gripe with Monk? Apart from obviously taking Swansea to 8th in the prem and nearly making the play offs with a leeds side run by the nutter Celino? As much as I like what the Cowleys have done at little Lincoln, what's their credentials at championship and premier league level ? 

5 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

He's younger than your lover Cowley. On another note what's your gripe with Monk? Apart from obviously taking Swansea to 8th in the prem and nearly making the play offs with a leeds side run by the nutter Celino? As much as I like what the Cowleys have done at little Lincoln, what's their credentials at championship and premier league level ? 

Being investigated for transfer dealings at last 3 clubs. Sacked numerous times, doesn’t stay at a club for much more than a year. Not actually achieved promotion or even play offs in this league. The way Leeds imploded and missed out on play offs. 

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

All the Leeds fan I used to work with thought he was best thing since sliced bread. 

As I wrote somewhere before, the Birmingham fan who contributed to Four-Four-Two described him as 'the most popular manager at St Andrews in my lifetime'

Given some of the other dross that has been talked about, I think this could be a terrific appointment.

My worry is regarding the shenanigans with the agent. He doesn't come across as a decent bloke in this article

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7159671/Birmingham-CEO-claims-Garry-Monk-fired-dispute-use-agent-clubs-transfers.html

But a) he denies it and b) it's the Daily Mail

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Being investigated for transfer dealings at last 3 clubs. Sacked numerous times, doesn’t stay at a club for much more than a year. Not actually achieved promotion or even play offs in this league. The way Leeds imploded and missed out on play offs. 

Jose Mourinho has been sacked numerous times, wouldn't you have him here either? Which of the managers that you were for has achieved play offs or promotion from this league? Also let's not go down the investigation dealings route, nobody knows a jot about that. 

Amazing that some have got pitchforks out even before manager announced. Really think we ought to give the guy a run of games plus at least one transfer window.

DC's had a tough decision to make, he gave LB a go and now he's been decisive. Monk a decent choice though he does come under some sort of investigation which is why I'm  a little surprised. Still he'll get my full support.

1 hour ago, casbahowl said:

And that matters why exactly?

Because he says he was terrible and created a real negativity around the place.

also says he wasted £50m on transfers and ended up being investigated around it.

6 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Jose Mourinho has been sacked numerous times, wouldn't you have him here either? Which of the managers that you were for has achieved play offs or promotion from this league? Also let's not go down the investigation dealings route, nobody knows a jot about that. 

Comparing him to José :-) there usually isn’t smoke without fire in regards the transfer dealings. Let’s just ignore the other points shall we. As I’ve previously said I think he will do okay with us. A safe mid table team.  

I honestly think he's ok. 

We've had Wilson, Jewell, Bruce, Jones , managers who had done it before and it didn't do us much good.

He's young and well thought of in the game and tbf took on some tough jobs.

He's definitely no dinosaur of a manager.

He had Swansea playing well.

Who is there really , who we could attract ,that could come in and please everyone.

I guarantee if wilder had come in a few years ago we'd have thought it was a terrible appointment, only managed at a lower level etc.

Can't turn our noses up at Monk imo.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Amazing that some have got pitchforks out even before manager announced. Really think we ought to give the guy a run of games plus at least one transfer window.

DC's had a tough decision to make, he gave LB a go and now he's been decisive. Monk a decent choice though he does come under some sort of investigation which is why I'm  a little surprised. Still he'll get my full support.

I’ve decided to put my pitchfork down, at least until he’s officially announced 

Incidentally, why do you think he’s a decent choice? I’m a realist, and recognise that we haven’t a throng of good managers beating down the door, but at least get someone who can do it another way. The Cowley’s wouldn’t have been my first choice, but I could see the logic of giving them the opportunity to build something sustainable A manager, or coach, who is renowned for improving his players would be my preferred route. Fair enough, if DC sees it as promotion or bust, and he’s prepared to tempt someone with a track record, as he did with Bruce, but this appointment, if true, is neither one thing nor the other He doesn’t stay anywhere long enough to build anything

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’ve decided to put my pitchfork down, at least until he’s officially announced 

Incidentally, why do you think he’s a decent choice? I’m a realist, and recognise that we haven’t a throng of good managers beating down the door, but at least get someone who can do it another way. The Cowley’s wouldn’t have been my first choice, but I could see the logic of giving them the opportunity to build something sustainable A manager, or coach, who is renowned for improving his players would be my preferred route. Fair enough, if DC sees it as promotion or bust, and he’s prepared to tempt someone with a track record, as he did with Bruce, but this appointment, if true, is neither one thing nor the other He doesn’t stay anywhere long enough to build anything

If you didn't want the Cowleys or Monk, who did you want?