Positive spin on Monk

No possible positive about this as far as I'm concerned.  A few short term jobs at which he's achieved zero success or abject failure.  No personality or charisma.  This was my biggest fear.  I would have preferred bully to carry on with a backroom staff......note I'm normally a clapper and not EVER one to criticise.  Car crash waiting to happen.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

No possible positive about this as far as I'm concerned.  A few short term jobs at which he's achieved zero success or abject failure.  No personality or charisma.  This was my biggest fear.  I would have preferred bully to carry on with a backroom staff......note I'm normally a clapper and not EVER one to criticise.  Car crash waiting to happen.

Completely disagree on Bullen as he is not cut out to be a manager at this level. If he believed he was he would have pushed more convincingly for our job or would look for opportunities elsewhere.

Monk has a decent record at this level and his personality as Birmingham manager had a positive affect on their fanbase.

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Completely disagree on Bullen as he is not cut out to be a manager at this level. If he believed he was he would have pushed more convincingly for our job or would look for opportunities elsewhere.

Monk has a decent record at this level and his personality as Birmingham manager had a positive affect on their fanbase.

Bullen is and will always be a great youth coach 

37 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Cowley. Appoint a sporting director of football, look at the foreign market like Norwich and Huddersfield. Let’s try to be a progressive football club.

Seems to me this is just another quick fix, which will ultimately end up like past managerially appointments.

What if Cowley didn’t want to work with a director of football? You make it sound so easy, for somebody with absolutely zero experience of running a football club. You’re the problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt_1 said:

Monk will do well.

Without sounding like a wee pipe, I think a lot of people are going to be eating their words.

Some people are going to be very surprised

He's a bloody good manager, by far the best we could attract at the moment

I've been speaking to some of my family who are Leeds supporters, they were gutted when he got sacked

• Like 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Experienced Championship (and Premiership) manager who guided his team to the latter stages of the Europa League knock-out stage and whose team finished in the top 10 of the Premier League.

Got performances out of high profile players.

This is correct, yet some people are acting as if we’ve just appointed Hockaday or something.

If the concerns were about some of the reports from previous clubs then fair enough but his performance as a manager has been solid.

Guest wilyfox
37 minutes ago, Simaniac Owl said:

There is only one way to spell Gary. HIS way. 

garymegson

Same initials though...it's a sign I tell thee. 

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Imo Monk would have been nowhere near the top of DC’s manager list. I think he tried to get Cowley earlier this week but Cowley turned us down (don’t blame him) hence Monk saying things moved fast over the last 48 hours. However I find it unbelievable if he can’t bring his own staff in and Bullen has been shunted in to being monks assistant. Already put Monk on the back foot but if he’s agreed to it that really is weak on his behalf. 

Hes used to working in tight spots recently and given what’s going off with him and former clubs he’s probably glad to be given a chance at the moment 

5 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

Not having a dig at your but this sums up our fan bases mentality as a collective for at lest 20 years.

’Oh well, it could have been worse’

What can anyone do about it, It's DC'S decision, it wasn't up for a vote, not my first choice, but my opinion is could have been worse, there's no guarantee who ever we appointed, I'm prepared to give him a chance. Let's see what happens. 

56 minutes ago, Alan Robinson said:

Down here in the West Country Gary Monk is seen as fraud. Decent player and good communicator but not considered to be a top manager.

If any of you are pleased to have him then my guess is you be reconsidering after around 15-20 games.

Based on what?

2 hours ago, Owlsbury said:

Let's give the man a chance. I will support him until there is a good and honest reason not to. He is now a Wednesday man and needs our backing. Welcome aboard.

This ^ before a ball is kicked there is still a chance he could turn out to be the special one who gets us promoted. Managers click with different clubs/teams, maybe he’ll be our Eddie Howe, Sean dyche, Chris hughton.  He’s learnt a lot from his previous jobs and generally done a decent job. When he was Swansea boss in the Prem everyone said it was very harsh to sack him when they did.  Let’s hope he turns out to be good for us