Norwich Rhodes Bid

2 hours ago, torres said:

Devils advocate .........

He’s arguably not in the first 16 names you’d want in the squad if fit currently 

We won’t be anywhere near promotion realistically 

Isn’t it best to get him off the wage bill??

Are you for real? Literally give a player away for free whose got one of the best championship goal rates going, to a prem team who have not spent a penny since promotion despite getting probably a near £100m guaranteed windfall?

Thank f*** fans don't run our club

Absolutely ridiculous offer and rightly told to jog on big time

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, torres said:

The trouble is, unfortunately we are not in much of a position to negotiate aggressively 

Free sounds ridiculous, but when you look at all the variables, it’s worth looking at 

I don't think you understand our owner very well. When Rhodes was loaned out the contract had an option to buy clause at a figure of £7M. Norwich made an original bid of considerably less than that and DC told them to honour the clause or 'do one'. 

Now they come back with an offer of £0. I think DC will negotiate agressively and stick 2 fingures up to them. The price to Norwich is £7M, anyone else can make whatever they want and it will be considered but if it's Norwich it's £7M. A deal's a deal.

It might not make much sense to most people but I kind of like DC's attitude. The guy has got integrity.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jack the Hat said:

I don’t understand some of our fans obsession with trying to offload Rhodes. Ok we overpaid but that’s in the past. We wasted far more on Jones and Abdi. We bought him because he could get that goal when we need it to take us up. He still can and finally we may get some crosses to him.

He's scored 29 goals in almost 4 years. Even when he was prolific, he was not a major difference maker for his teams when it came to getting them in the promotion reckoning. 

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Don’t get why a Premier League club are after, according to some, our worst striker.

It’s almost as if Rhodes isn’t our worst striker... but those few quoting selected stats know more than Norwich’s professionals I guess...

A club who started him 9 times in 46 league games (that's actually less than those he didn't appear in at all) and now are so desperate for him to return that they can't even be bothered to stump up a tenner for him? And as far as we know, not one other club has shown the remotest interest even though they know he's nothing but a fringe player here and we are somewhat desperate to get him off the payroll.

The last vestige of the damned is that tired old cliche about statistics being 'selected'. It's usually nothing more than a lazy excuse to lift up the rug and kick the offending item out of sight. But like it or not, Nuhiu, who even his own mother would not describe as prolific, has scored at a better rate than Rhodes going back for the 45 months since the latter's time at Blackburn was coming to an end. 

I'd be very interested to know how the one thing Rhodes was brought here for and what he has been such a spectacular failure at can be rendered irrelevant, especially given the enormous implications in terms of squad balance and revenue. Approximately £8m for 10 GOALS and better players watching him from the bench as he whiffs a shot wide or flops hopelessly to the floor. If he's not scoring goals, his game is so limited that he's essentially a waste of space. But never mind eh, one day it might take him less than 3 months to score 4 goals. 

Edited by DJMortimer

5 hours ago, bobness said:

In form during pre-season against Fiddlesticks United?

If we can't get a half decent figure I believe we should give a Rhodes Fletcher partnership a go, but Rhodes is certainly not "in form" in the true sense of the word. My only concern is that his body language suggests he's not happy to be here. From the highlights it appear he's got a bit of an "I'm a pro, so I'm just getting on with it" attitude.

another body language expert lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, prowl said:

I don't think you understand our owner very well. When Rhodes was loaned out the contract had an option to buy clause at a figure of £7M. Norwich made an original bid of considerably less than that and DC told them to honour the clause or 'do one'. 

Now they come back with an offer of £0. I think DC will negotiate agressively and stick 2 fingures up to them. The price to Norwich is £7M, anyone else can make whatever they want and it will be considered but if it's Norwich it's £7M. A deal's a deal.

It might not make much sense to most people but I kind of like DC's attitude. The guy has got integrity.

I agree to a point. DC certainly does have integrity. That said, JR is an unusual case, high fee, high wage, several years of average performances. In business and football you also need to be pragmatic. That looks to be missing from his makeup at the moment.

I’m not for one minute suggesting JR goes on a free but the asking price of a player isn’t just “X amount” because we want our money back. 

We need to find a way to use JR or accept that it’s likely we will continue to pay his wage until he eventually leaves for free. That’s potentially several million pounds more down the pan.

Edited by Morepork

4 hours ago, Rogers said:

Get rid...better cash in the bank now than letting him go for free and paying his wages until tis happens

But there wouldn't be any cash to put in the bank - they've offered £0!

If Rhodes were to leave now, the remaining amortised amount of the fee we paid for him would appear in full on the accounts, potentially pushing us further into P&S trouble.

Any fee we bring in has to offset that issue, otherwise it's not a deal worth doing. £0 won't quite cut it!

8 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

He's scored 29 goals in almost 4 years. Even when he was prolific, he was not a major difference maker for his teams when it came to getting them in the promotion reckoning. 

A club who started him 9 times in 46 league games (that's actually less than those he didn't appear in at all) and now are so desperate for him to return that they can't even be bothered to stump up a tenner for him? And as far as we know, not one other club has shown the remotest interest even though they know he's nothing but a fringe player here and we are somewhat desperate to get him off the payroll.

The last vestige of the damned is that tired old cliche about statistics being 'selected'. It's usually nothing more than a lazy excuse to lift up the rug and kick the offending item out of sight. But like it or not, Nuhiu, who even his own mother would not describe as prolific, has scored at a better rate than Rhodes going back for the 45 months since the latter's time at Blackburn was coming to an end. 

I'd be very interested to know how the one thing Rhodes was brought here for and what he has been such a spectacular failure at can be rendered irrelevant, especially given the enormous implications in terms of squad balance and revenue. Approximately £8m for 10 GOALS and better players watching him from the bench as he whiffs a shot wide or flops hopelessly to the floor. If he's not scoring goals, his game is so limited that he's essentially a waste of space. But never mind eh, one day it might take him less than 3 months to score 4 goals. 

You mean a club who are willing to take over his contract, estimated at around £5m... I don’t see Norwich sniffing around our so called better strikers.

We’ve been through Rhodes’ recent history and you’re happy to slate a player based on half an average season at Blackburn, before being managed by negative Karanka, negative Carlos, and negative Jos - all, who when played Rhodes, didn’t bother playing him in a set up which has him as the Championships most successful striker.

Will he ever recover from that? Who knows. Will he ever be the goalscorer he once was? Who knows. What we do know is he’s done it at this level before for a long period of time, unlike most of our other strikers.

I assume you were the sort of football fan who said Billy the Pig was washed up after 4/5 poor seasons as well? Looked well washed up the past 2 seasons hasn’t he... or do you have some selected stats for Billy as well?

It's time for Jordan Rhodes to get back in the game - with SWFC.

With Harris, Bannan and Reach supplying Rhodes can have a great season with us even if he doesn't oust Fletcher from the starting 11. 

Have we ever seen Rhodes and Flether get a length of game time alongside each other up top? He does tend to be far better playing alongside a big centre forward.

9 hours ago, smhouston said:

Are you for real? Literally give a player away for free whose got one of the best championship goal rates going, to a prem team who have not spent a penny since promotion despite getting probably a near £100m guaranteed windfall?

Thank f*** fans don't run our club

Absolutely ridiculous offer and rightly told to jog on big time

I apologise. We should sell him to one of the many others who are queuing up to buy him. 

Or we could keep him here on his massive wages and watch him rip the league apart like he has been doing. 

Brilliant player, brilliant bit of business 

36 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

It's time for Jordan Rhodes to get back in the game - with SWFC.

With Harris, Bannan and Reach supplying Rhodes can have a great season with us even if he doesn't oust Fletcher from the starting 11. 

Have we ever seen Rhodes and Flether get a length of game time alongside each other up top? He does tend to be far better playing alongside a big centre forward.

This ^ he’s deemed good enough by a PL team yet not good enough for us seems a bit strange.  Get him in a side with better service and he’d still score 20 goals a season in my opinion. 

9 hours ago, prowl said:

I agree, principles and integrity are excellent qualities to have, if they are mixed in with naivety you are in trouble. 

10 hours ago, prowl said:

I am pretty sure there was no agreed fee in place when the loan was done 

Didn't a Norwich employee say that at the end of last season and said  what Wednesday were asking at the time was ridiculous?

Could be wrong 

Edited by the monk

If Rhodes stays where do you play him.

Certainly wouldn't pick him ahead of Fletcher, who was exceptional last year and so far in the friendys. Rhodes is not the type of player who would take physical battering and bring other players into the game that Fletcher takes as the lone central striker.

He is not quick or a good enough all around player to pull wide and supplement the attack and midfield in a 433 system.

So you have to go with 442 using Fletcher and Rhodes playing centrally up front. With 2 wide midfield players to supply crosses that some say Rhodes wiill thrive on it leaves us with one holding midfielder and Barry Bannan in the centre. We have seen over the years that the midfield gets totally overrun.

So the best I can see for Rhodes is a bit part coming on when you are chasing a game similar to how Norwich used him last year.

If we could get 2 million or more Up front for him I would sell him, use this 2 million and the 2 million saved in wages and pay off Borough. 

• Like 1

You mean a club who are willing to take over his contract, estimated at around £5m... I don’t see Norwich sniffing around our so called better strikers.

We’ve been through Rhodes’ recent history and you’re happy to slate a player based on half an average season at Blackburn, before being managed by negative Karanka, negative Carlos, and negative Jos - all, who when played Rhodes, didn’t bother playing him in a set up which has him as the Championships most successful striker.

Will he ever recover from that? Who knows. Will he ever be the goalscorer he once was? Who knows. What we do know is he’s done it at this level before for a long period of time, unlike most of our other strikers.

I assume you were the sort of football fan who said Billy the Pig was washed up after 4/5 poor seasons as well? Looked well washed up the past 2 seasons hasn’t he... or do you have some selected stats for Billy as well?

Absolutely bang on this.  Sick of hearing some of the garbage some of our so called experts on here spout. This lad scores goals and if you watch his movement gets into scoring positions often. Not his fault we played narrow and well frankly not even sure what joss the dross played. He will score goals as he has done all his playing career. Give the lad a chance we’ve got enough crap going on at the club already. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, you're right; a 45 month period which includes 4 clubs, 6 managers and being outscored by ALL 5 of our other strikers is "selected" (a euphemism for not liking what the evidence points to). And that's without even getting on to the more subjective matters of watching his performances and seeing just how mediocre our record signing has been. As far as we are aware, Norwich are the only club even exploring the possibility, and they are trying to do it for minimal outlay and there can be little doubt that he would be little more than a fringe player based upon how they used him last season. It's obvious we are amenable to moving him on, so why has there been almost no interest?

It seems he is a limited player who needs accommodating in a way that most clubs aren't interested in. Can he be productive again? Maybe. But that still wouldn't negate how dismal he has been for the last four years.