Norwich Rhodes Bid

10 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

Absolutely bang on this.  Sick of hearing some of the garbage some of our so called experts on here spout. This lad scores goals and if you watch his movement gets into scoring positions often. Not his fault we played narrow and well frankly not even sure what joss the dross played. He will score goals as he has done all his playing career. Give the lad a chance we’ve got enough crap going on at the club already. 

4 clubs, 6 managers, 2 divisions, 1 team interested in taking him on, (389 excuses). Just 29 goals in almost 4 years.

Even his biggest supporters acknowledge that he is little more than a finisher, but he has not been effective at his one talent for a long time now. What is the evidence that he takes a high percentage of the chances presented to him when ALL his colleagues in that position have been unhindered by our defensive outlook and scored at a decent rate regardless even as Rhodes and the scoresheet have been strangers? 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
27 minutes ago, NYowl said:

If Rhodes stays where do you play him.

Certainly wouldn't pick him ahead of Fletcher, who was exceptional last year and so far in the friendys. Rhodes is not the type of player who would take physical battering and bring other players into the game that Fletcher takes as the lone central striker.

He is not quick or a good enough all around player to pull wide and supplement the attack and midfield in a 433 system.

So you have to go with 442 using Fletcher and Rhodes playing centrally up front. With 2 wide midfield players to supply crosses that some say Rhodes wiill thrive on it leaves us with one holding midfielder and Barry Bannan in the centre. We have seen over the years that the midfield gets totally overrun.

So the best I can see for Rhodes is a bit part coming on when you are chasing a game similar to how Norwich used him last year.

If we could get 2 million or more Up front for him I would sell him, use this 2 million and the 2 million saved in wages and pay off Borough. 

Quite simple, we don’t play him. He’s crap!

Problem is that to accommodate Rhodes you have to play 4-4-2 and teams just dont set up like that anymore. 

We certainly cant as we dont have a strong enough midfield and a defence to do so.

Let's not kid ourselves here Norwich only want Rhodes as it's a cheap option that wont upset the apple cart.

No one else would even stump up his wages even if we give him away.

Edited by pazowl55
  • Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
8 hours ago, JimmyMaC said:

If they make a realistic bid for JR,around the 7M mark,we need to accept,anything less is a pants down

Nope. 4 million and we can pay Boro off. Get rid!

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

You mean a club who are willing to take over his contract, estimated at around £5m... I don’t see Norwich sniffing around our so called better strikers.

We’ve been through Rhodes’ recent history and you’re happy to slate a player based on half an average season at Blackburn, before being managed by negative Karanka, negative Carlos, and negative Jos - all, who when played Rhodes, didn’t bother playing him in a set up which has him as the Championships most successful striker.

Will he ever recover from that? Who knows. Will he ever be the goalscorer he once was? Who knows. What we do know is he’s done it at this level before for a long period of time, unlike most of our other strikers.

I assume you were the sort of football fan who said Billy the Pig was washed up after 4/5 poor seasons as well? Looked well washed up the past 2 seasons hasn’t he... or do you have some selected stats for Billy as well?

This ^^^^.

Even at Norwich, where Rhodes frequent role, late off the bench, soemtimes seemed only to consist of taking two defenders out of the game for the last ten minutes, reaped dividends.

He got nine goals in 1,193 minutes (forty games) on the pitch giving an average of a goal scored every 133 minutes.

Not too shabby by anyone's standard.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Problem is that to accommodate Rhodes you have to play 4-4-2 and teams just dont set up like that anymore. 

We certainly cant as we dont have a strong enough midfield and a defence to do so.

Let's not kid ourselves here Norwich only want Rhodes as it's a cheap option that wont upset the apple cart.

No one else would even stump up his wages even if we give him away.

It would be good to play attacking 3-5-2 football 

Wolves play this system and they smashed the Championship one year, and went above & beyond in the Prem 

wanting 2 strikers doesnt have to be 4-4-2

there's other options and 352 might suit us to be fair. 

Fletch/Rhodes up top

BB FF KL AR KH as the 5 

with 3 at the back

#BringExcitingFootballBackToHillsboro

A fit and confident Rhodes will score goals, of that I’m sure, but only if everything is set up for him to do so.  The issue is, will that set up benefit the team? The league campaign is not an exercise to see how many goals we can get Jordan Rhodes to score. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

This ^^^^.

Even at Norwich, where Rhodes frequent role, late off the bench, soemtimes seemed only to consist of taking two defenders out of the game for the last ten minutes, reaped dividends.

He got nine goals in 1,193 minutes (forty games) on the pitch giving an average of a goal scored every 133 minutes.

Not too shabby by anyone's standard.

But still not as good as Joao’s contribution. Using those stats, there would surely be a better argument for setting up the side to accommodate Joao?  The stats don’t always tell the whole picture

11 minutes ago, j17tjp said:

It would be good to play attacking 3-5-2 football 

Wolves play this system and they smashed the Championship one year, and went above & beyond in the Prem 

wanting 2 strikers doesnt have to be 4-4-2

there's other options and 352 might suit us to be fair. 

Fletch/Rhodes up top

BB FF KL AR KH as the 5 

with 3 at the back

#BringExcitingFootballBackToHillsboro

Jos mainly played a 352 in his first season with us. It brought decent results with an injury ravaged squad, and for the most part he had three fit strikers to pick from (Rhodes, Joao and Nuhiu). All three strikers were given a chance, Nuhiu and Joao grabbed it with both hands and played out of their skin...Rhodes was just dog poo, again all three of them received exactly the same supply. One thing I could never get my head around (amongst other things)  was why Jos never really tried Nuhiu and Joao up front again the following season? People quite rightly bang on about playing to players strengths, well it appeared that Nuhiu and Joao complemented each other superbly or was it just coincidence? Either way and despite us having arguably better strikers than those two it was a major mistake not to give them another run together.

If we are going 352 again wouldn't it make sense to give the two blokes who played so well in that system another go?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

A fit and confident Rhodes will score goals, of that I’m sure, but only if everything is set up for him to do so.  The issue is, will that set up benefit the team? The league campaign is not an exercise to see how many goals we can get Jordan Rhodes to score. 

Exactly. If we do accommodate Rhodes then we will concede at least 2 goals a game. We are not strong enough defensively to play with two up front.

2 minutes ago, Walt said:

Jos mainly played a 352 in his first season with us. It brought decent results with an injury ravaged squad, and for the most part he had three fit strikers to pick from (Rhodes, Joao and Nuhiu). All three strikers were given a chance, Nuhiu and Joao grabbed it with both hands and played out of their skin...Rhodes was just dog poo, again all three of them received exactly the same supply. One thing I could never get my head around (amongst other things)  was why Jos never really tried Nuhiu and Joao up front again the following season? People quite rightly bang on about playing to players strengths, well it appeared that Nuhiu and Joao complemented each other superbly or was it just coincidence? Either way and despite us having arguably better strikers than those two it was a major mistake not to give them another run together.

If we are going 352 again wouldn't it make sense to give the two blokes who played so well in that system another go?

The best performance I’ve seen from the strikers, in terms of how they played together, was in that end of season game against Norwich.  The link up between the three strikers that day was brilliant. All three, Nuhiu, Joao and Forestieri, were always on the move, constantly interchanging, and they ran the Norwich defence ragged. That is the sort of interplay you would never get by playing Rhodes.

At first glance I think Norwich have got a nerve if the reports are true but thinking about it, getting him of the wage bill has to be a priority, I'm sure we could get a couple of million out of Norwich with a bit of haggling.

He actually didn't look too bad when he came on last Sunday but with manager uncertainty and our number of strikers it would be best for all parties to let him go on the cheap.

23 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

But still not as good as Joao’s contribution. Using those stats, there would surely be a better argument for setting up the side to accommodate Joao?  The stats don’t always tell the whole picture

I would agree with you. Joao is another decent asset in terms of his goals per minute stats.

Despite the turmoil, we still have some quality players in the squad. Their value, either as a remaining member of the squad or as a sale asset, is something that I am sure the owner is aware of.

With this in mind and one eye on next year's FFP / P&S bunfight, I'm sure it will have crossed minds at the club which players will have the best returns in terms of contributions on the pitch or perhaps even as a transfer fee.

Moving Rhodes on a free, as allegedly Norwich have offered, is simply a ploy to exploit the an unlikely fire sale to get his wages off the payroll. However, as is clear, Rhodes is probably a saleable asset and worth much more than just what he is paid.

In Rhodes we have a player that like most other championship players is not perfect. But he does have strengths that we miss, especially now that Hooper is no longer here. Is he strong enough to lead the line or mobile enough to play as a lone striker probably not. But we are lucky that we have those attributes in other players. 

But players who you'd want on the end of chances we don’t have. We’ve historically struggled to put lesser teams away but do ok against bigger ones. So why not use Rhodes as impact in tougher games or as second striker against teams we’re expected to beat.

He’s a flat track bully, that’s clinical as they come at this level so let’s use that to score some goals in games where we can dominate. In games we can’t dominate he misses out, simple as that? 

Guest wilyfox

With Hooper gone, Rhodes is our only forward capable of 20 goals. If someone stumps up fair enough, but I wouldn't let him go on the cheap. I certainly wouldn't sell him for less than the 4mil we still owe Boro for him. Paying for a player no longer here for two years would be madness.

19 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Exactly. If we do accommodate Rhodes then we will concede at least 2 goals a game. We are not strong enough defensively to play with two up front.

But that would be because the balance of midfield would not be right.  Play a two up top with Rhodes and two creative wide players, but make sure you play two very competitive central midfielders.  Funnily enough, isn't that what Hughton did with Brighton the two years we locked horns with them recently.  Sidwell and Kayal I think in centre mid with Knockaert, March, Skalak etc out wide.  They played with Glenn Murray up top who isn't too dissimilar to Fletcher, maybe a bit more prolific.

9 hours ago, JimmyMaC said:

If they make a realistic bid for JR,around the 7M mark,we need to accept,anything less is a pants down

Asking for £7m for the Jordan Rhodes of 2019 is almost as unrealistic as expecting to get him on a free transfer.

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

With Hooper gone, Rhodes is our only forward capable of 20 goals. If someone stumps up fair enough, but I wouldn't let him go on the cheap. I certainly wouldn't sell him for less than the 4mil we still owe Boro for him. Paying for a player no longer here for two years would be madness.

Exactly, if we are carrying any financial hangover from a deal , may as well keep him. 

3 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

But that would be because the balance of midfield would not be right.  Play a two up top with Rhodes and two creative wide players, but make sure you play two very competitive central midfielders.  Funnily enough, isn't that what Hughton did with Brighton the two years we locked horns with them recently.  Sidwell and Kayal I think in centre mid with Knockaert, March, Skalak etc out wide.  They played with Glenn Murray up top who isn't too dissimilar to Fletcher, maybe a bit more prolific.

Game has moved on unfortunately. Unless you have proper world class players in the vital positions then teams just over run you in midfield and find a way of exploiting you.