Premier league 2

We don't need a Premier league 2. Waht we need is a more equitable spread of the money generated by football and TV rights. More money filtered down the pyramid and more money spent at grass roots level by the FA. More money spent on coaches and training facilities for young players and more accessible ways into coaching. Make football coaching and running these centres a viable job. Make football a community asset. Use the vast amount of cash to make some benefit for many instead of all benefit for a few. Bring in rules that level the playing field a bit for clubs, getting rid of or allowing equitable spending to, parachute payments would be a start. 

Root and branch reform needed simultaneously, give us a sport we can be proud of. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SalisburyOwl said:

I agree with him to an extent. We don’t need a Premier League 2 though, we just need a greater share of the TV revenue. The Championship is probably the most exciting and competitive league in Europe

The problem being there that would mean the PL giving the EFL more of their money.

It only works if it gets a greater share of TV income and as a result STOPS PARACHUTE PAYMENTS!

They are what make the Championship unsustainable.  Regardless of relegated PL clubs success or otherwise they try and buy the best Championship players. As a result other clubs try and compete.  Drives transfer fees and wages up.  Makes it unsustainable for other clubs to maintain a challenge over several seasons.  You either make it and go up or fail and become a victim of FFP.

I’m definitely in favour of the championship getting more money and stop the parachute payments.

I suppose the potential danger is if there’s a premier league 2, would it reduce the excitement and interest in getting to the premier league 1? Right now we all look to get into the playoffs as we chase that golden goose, but if that just becomes a fatter turkey than the one we’ve got, will people lose interest 

Edited by Southie_Owl

Interestingly the Dutch "giants" Ajax, PSV and Feyonoord have agreed to give there European money away to be spread across the other teams in there division to improve the standard of the league and reduce the financial burden on the smaller clubs.

Big clubs trying to benefit the sport within there country rather than stockpile wealth and killing competition. No chance of that happening here. The smaller premier clubs do not want to risk falling off the gravy train and if they do they want a massive advantage financially to get back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

It only works if it gets a greater share of TV income and as a result STOPS PARACHUTE PAYMENTS!

They are what make the Championship unsustainable.  Regardless of relegated PL clubs success or otherwise they try and buy the best Championship players. As a result other clubs try and compete.  Drives transfer fees and wages up.  Makes it unsustainable for other clubs to maintain a challenge over several seasons.  You either make it and go up or fail and become a victim of FFP.

Its not the parachute payments that are the problem, its what they are being spent on. 

Had parachute payments been around when we were relegated from the Premier League then we may not have been in such a financial mess. We were crippled financially by players on water tight contracts who we were paying top dollar for. Should we reach the Premier League again, I would like to think that we have the opportunity to compete by offering Premier League wages. This is where Parachute Payments are a good thing. 

There needs to be a rule whereby Parachute Payments are only used to cover existing player wages and not for funding additional players and therefore creating an uneven playing field in the transfer market. Clubs should have already made their money from being in the Premier League in the first place. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:

Interestingly the Dutch "giants" Ajax, PSV and Feyonoord have agreed to give there European money away to be spread across the other teams in there division to improve the standard of the league and reduce the financial burden on the smaller clubs.

Big clubs trying to benefit the sport within there country rather than stockpile wealth and killing competition. No chance of that happening here. The smaller premier clubs do not want to risk falling off the gravy train and if they do they want a massive advantage financially to get back. 

That is an amazing initiative. Like you said though, clubs in this country are far too greedy and I can't see that ever happening. 

Not sure the EFL would allow it. They’d just be left with league 1 and 2 which could effectively become non league with a greater gulf in wealth. 

As for selling rights, despite the championship being a very competitive league and has the fourth highest average attendance, it’s tv rights are poor. Currently Quest TV (heard of them?) have the highlights package. 

I did think sky might show more interest and pump some more money into the league but all they have done is mess around with kick off times and introduce the red button for midweek games (some like, some don’t). 

1 hour ago, Miffed said:

Its not the parachute payments that are the problem, its what they are being spent on. 

Had parachute payments been around when we were relegated from the Premier League then we may not have been in such a financial mess. We were crippled financially by players on water tight contracts who we were paying top dollar for. Should we reach the Premier League again, I would like to think that we have the opportunity to compete by offering Premier League wages. This is where Parachute Payments are a good thing. 

There needs to be a rule whereby Parachute Payments are only used to cover existing player wages and not for funding additional players and therefore creating an uneven playing field in the transfer market. Clubs should have already made their money from being in the Premier League in the first place. 

Or clubs could improve their contract negotiating skills in the first place...i.e relegation = massive drop in wages.

Only way we see an increase in tv revenue is if someone challenges Sky for the rights and drives the value up.

Not sure i would hold out too much hope when the main highlights are broadcasted on Quest. 

3 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

We all know they'll stop parachute payments the season after we go up. They'll have been there for everyone that came down after us and they'll be there until we can't be shat on by them. I'll go and fetch my tinfoil hat now

2 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

10%.