Premier league 2

13 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Not sure the EFL would allow it. They’d just be left with league 1 and 2 which could effectively become non league with a greater gulf in wealth. 

As for selling rights, despite the championship being a very competitive league and has the fourth highest average attendance, it’s tv rights are poor. Currently Quest TV (heard of them?) have the highlights package. 

I did think sky might show more interest and pump some more money into the league but all they have done is mess around with kick off times and introduce the red button for midweek games (some like, some don’t). 

All the clubs need to do is break away from the FL and create an independent organisation where each club is a member. This is what the PL did when it was the old first division. The PL would need to approve it though.

Ridrizzani is a personal acquaintance and although I hate everything about Leeds, this guy is connected up to the upper echelons of the football pyramid through his previous business MP Silva which he sold for just shy of a bill US.

He passionately wants to get Leeds promoted of course but also is an agent for reform of the current financial structure of English football as he has witnessed first hand how competitive and exciting the Championship really is.

As others on here have pointed out, if the Championship got a) the global promotion and marketing it deserves (under a new brand perhaps), b) TV revenues which bridge the gap somewhat and c) share the current parachute payments amongst the clubs evenly or based on league placing then clubs coming down would know the 'relegation clause' factoring they'd need to place into players contracts to ensure wage overheads reduce if they do go down.

This way the playing field is more evenly matched, players have more of incentive to give their all to stay up (either put in shop window to be bought or know they face a massive pay cut if they stay) .

The main concern then would be resources between Prem 2 and EFL bottom 2 leagues as the gap to those clubs would widen whereas at the moment with a good manager and transfer strategy of good frees and loanees most L1 clubs could have a decent run/ season 

That said EPL has more than enough cash to support the entire pyramid but because of foreign ownership and the debt structures created to buy the clubs they'll never do anything more than keep the rest on a life support machine...

Interesting stuff 

The EFL Championship is a great league because of that prize at the end of being in the Premier League. If you took that away what does it become. Would it be so attractive ?

The one thing I could see happening would be an NFL conference type structure instead of leagues. You could then get us big city clubs into it, you take away the fear of relegation, you build the season to a huge final. 

Would we fans like it, probably not but it seems to retain popularity in the US. However in part that is because of the draft system, don't they fix the fixtures not in a corrupt way but that if you are poor one year you get easier looking games and vice versa.

The EFL wouldn't have any control, clubs can just elect to leave. 

22 hours ago, Plonk said:

Why not have a premier league two three and four?

or we could just call them leagues one two three and four?

That is such a Brilliantly simple idea, that I wonder why it's never been tried before !....

lol

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Miffed said:

Its not the parachute payments that are the problem, its what they are being spent on. 

Had parachute payments been around when we were relegated from the Premier League then we may not have been in such a financial mess. We were crippled financially by players on water tight contracts who we were paying top dollar for. Should we reach the Premier League again, I would like to think that we have the opportunity to compete by offering Premier League wages. This is where Parachute Payments are a good thing. 

There needs to be a rule whereby Parachute Payments are only used to cover existing player wages and not for funding additional players and therefore creating an uneven playing field in the transfer market. Clubs should have already made their money from being in the Premier League in the first place. 

Agree.

I’ve said pretty much this loads of times. If we have to have them, they’re only allowed to honour contracts entered into before a club knew they were relegated (up to the current limit).

With regards to Premier League 2 what would there be to gain from it? Surely if it’s worth it, there’d be more money now? Or is he suggesting the bigger championship clubs just gobble up all the money from lower league clubs? Doesn’t sit right for me.

• Like 1

There is no appetite for the big TV companies to pay epic money for the EFL - or the championship

If there was they'd be doing it

If we're being honest it's not even the PL that attracts the money - it's a small handful of mega clubs

15 minutes ago, scram said:

There is no appetite for the big TV companies to pay epic money for the EFL - or the championship

If we're being honest it's not even the PL that attracts the money - it's a small handful of mega clubs

‘Epic’ kinda saves you because the rest on your ‘honest’ post can be proven wrong on a postage stamp...

On 11/10/2018 at 11:51, Whitechapel Owl said:

Won't be long before the Premier League teams negotiate their own TV money in the UK, that'll be me done with football if it happens. it's already started with overseas broadcasters hasn't it? 

That's why the Spanish league is so carp. Barca and Real negotiate their own rights deals so the rest of the club's can't get any decent money in.

Same thing would happen here, Man U would get hundreds of millions in TV money and Huddersfield would get about £1.36 but still have to try and compete in the same league. The reason the PL is the best in the world is because all 20 teams have money and can put up a good fight.

On 11/10/2018 at 09:20, HighworthOwl said:

Interestingly the Dutch "giants" Ajax, PSV and Feyonoord have agreed to give there European money away to be spread across the other teams in there division to improve the standard of the league and reduce the financial burden on the smaller clubs.

Big clubs trying to benefit the sport within there country rather than stockpile wealth and killing competition. No chance of that happening here. The smaller premier clubs do not want to risk falling off the gravy train and if they do they want a massive advantage financially to get back. 

Thats awesome of them tbf. 

Guest Grez Bez
9 hours ago, scram said:

9 hours ago, 2soon said:

‘Epic’ kinda saves you because the rest on your ‘honest’ post can be proven wrong on a postage stamp...

Looks spot on to me. Looking forward to your response @2soon

Each club will negotiate their own package longer term which will make the gap even better.

Is this good news for Wednesday? We have a good sized fan base but with our commercial team I'd say not :ph34r:

9 hours ago, 2soon said:

He is right though.

There's a reason why Sky have had the EFLs testicles in a vice for nearly two decades. 

There simply hasn't been enough interest from Sky's rivals meaning a substantive increase in tv deal money.

I'd love to know how much more the EFL are now getting for all these mid-week broadcasts. One suspects it's not all that much.

This year the main EFL highlights show ended up on Quest. Perhaps Quest offered terms which simply blew the competition out of the window, but one suspects it was more a case of the big terrestrial channels not willing to pay all that much. In the last 10 or so years, the highlights have been on ITV, BBC and Channel 5, the latter being the only one to put them on at sensible time/day. 

And can you blame them? For one, it's not just the Championship; it's League One and Two. Furthermore, Sky are allowed to broadcast and upload highlights of the matches from 5pm onwards, so you don't need to wait until 9o'clock to watch your teams goals. If you ask me, the EFL are just as complicit in driving down the value of their product. Have literally bent over backwards (frankly, forwards too) to accommodate Sky. 

Edited by SiJ

On 12/10/2018 at 06:03, mkowl said:

Interesting stuff 

The EFL Championship is a great league because of that prize at the end of being in the Premier League. If you took that away what does it become. Would it be so attractive ?

The one thing I could see happening would be an NFL conference type structure instead of leagues. You could then get us big city clubs into it, you take away the fear of relegation, you build the season to a huge final. 

Would we fans like it, probably not but it seems to retain popularity in the US. However in part that is because of the draft system, don't they fix the fixtures not in a corrupt way but that if you are poor one year you get easier looking games and vice versa.

The EFL wouldn't have any control, clubs can just elect to leave. 

From what I have seen and heard (granted not that much) American fans love the idea of relegation and promotion. From what I gather in some leagues the teams near enough fight out to finish bottom so they can get first choice players in the draft.    

5 minutes ago, Watson said:

From what I have seen and heard (granted not that much) American fans love the idea of relegation and promotion. From what I gather in some leagues the teams near enough fight out to finish bottom so they can get first choice players in the draft.    

You could see the logic of it though I totally agree it would be awful to watch