Sean Clare future in doubt

I think we'd all concur that keeping our best young players should be a priority, also there's nothing better than seeing youngsters come through. Those of us old enough to remember seeing Hyde and Jones break into the team will attest to that.

At the same time, I've only got limited patience when it comes to negotiating, if he's stalling then I really don't care about him because I can tell you for certain its reciprocated. Be they young or in their prime it's imperative that those who wear the shirt play with a desire that comes from wanting to be at a club. I realise that not every player will have that but quite frankly at the moment it's a trait that is so obviously missing from our current squad it's painful to watch.

20 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

What and Rhodes and Fletcher are not ?

You cannot compare them. Both Rhodes and Fletcher have had reasonably long careers and earned the contracts they have based on proven success rates and hundreds of senior level 1st team performances, goals etc.

More to the point how would you feel in whatever career you have if someone with no experience against your multitude of experience was given the same salary as you. Livid I would imagine. That is why Wednesday will not pay it to Clare or Hirst.

Hirst and Clare are nothing more than prospects, with merely a handful of 1st team appearances between them.

a) Roy of the Rovers would turn in his grave at the state of the game, agents etc

b) bugger all chance of Hirst or Clare becoming Roy of the Rovers quicker by moving to a premier league side now.

don't care to be honest. If you want the big pay rise prove you deserve it. Earn it. No company in the world in any industry would give random payrise and major increases to people when they haven't proved they deserve it. Why should a football club be any different.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t know their reasons, but when you’ve got 6 or 7 strikers ahead of you, maybe you think the path is blocked We have a large squad, full of thirty somethings on big money, most of whom are going nowhere, you might think your prospects are bleak

Like having Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Sanchez ahead of you is going to make it any easier.

It’s short-term money that calls, not long-term career. It’s an attitude thing. Greed. Full stop.

7 hours ago, mkowl said:

About 10k a week good 

my son's mate was on the books at Leicester not so long ago  and very close to the first team +played in first team cup matches in the prem , his wage was £3000 per week .he ruin'd things though by being stupid he is at Scunny now

let em go , If the club did their scouting right there are players out there that would love the chance that those two have got,i had a job and a half getting the club to send scouts to watch my lad , every other scout that came turned up unannounced ,While we wouldn't send any out unless he was playing as near to Sheffield as possible , such as Villa had him watched for two years , ours watched for one match  and took him on trial at Blackburn ,rang me at 11 pm to get him there for 11 am kick off the next day ,25 mins later he was carried off ,coach told me he would be watched over 6/7 games as he was happy in what he had seen in the brief spell he played it never materialised nor did they enquire over his injury , couple of years later they asked to watch him again for the under 23's , so I fixed the game , again it had to be as near to Sheff as possible , scout came was enthused over the lad gave all the spiel about how good the lad was  blah blah blah , then arranged for us to get him to play against a stronger side which was set  up never heard anything for three months rang the club and was told the lad would have to be signed on a pro contract and it wouldn't be fair on the academy lads if they did so  ,Now my argument is if he was good enough to be offered a place at a top six prem club(at that time) why was he not considered good enough for us ,that said how many more talented kids do they treat as such I mean if it happens often it could be a reason why we struggle to bring players through ,

Edited by trevdi9

3 hours ago, Rebowl Yell said:

I’ll do Dom Howson a favour for the headline of his article when he no doubt leaves at the end of the season.

Couldn’t Clare Less.

Nice. He can also have Clare-loss Whispers to keep him going for now whilst he's dealing in rumours, and The Bald Truth: Wednesday Suffer Clare Loss when the inevitable happens.

The club should tell Sean Flair and his representatives that the contract on the table will not be improved, it will also be removed on Monday 7th May, should he not sign before this date he will be released and free to find another club.

Clubs have wage structures for a reason, if he signs, performs well becomes a first team regular get round the table and negotiate better terms, as things stand he’s a good prospect nothing more.

He is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is #SeanFlair :picnic:

53 minutes ago, Buddy Repperton said:

Another thick, greedy kid who thinks he's gonna be playing for Man City next season after a couple of games in the championship. Good riddance.

How come this doesn't happen to the pigs youngsters?

So, anyone refusing to sign new deal with the club is thick and gready ?

London lad who probably wants to go home is how I read the situation .....he's obviously got summat in the pipeline and if that gets him back to his home town then you cant really blame him for leaving ....if I was a gambling man id' be looking at QPR  as where he'll end up .

12 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

What better , paying a little more in wages to make sure we keep hold of our best young prospects . or wasting £30k a week on old, injury prone crocks. ?  

Never a truer word said. "Don't let us be held to ransom blah blah". Football has moved on. Seems we and lots of people on here haven't. 

Young players with great potential have agents and are rewarded accordingly with big contracts to tie them down in the hope of maturing them into stars who then can be sold on with great profit.  See Southampton who have made fortunes from their academy.

Other than the Vardy situation name me any player SWFC have produced (who has the footballing pedigree of being the offspring of one of our last international players) who has the potential of Hirst,winning golden boot awards at junior Intl tournaments against the best European players of his age?

Pay him half of the wages of Rhodes with a guaranteed first team squad place week on week and release clause at 5m and he'll sign.  10k p/w for Clare.

Then get Rhodes, Fletcher, Abdi, Jones on the first bus to the knackers yard .

Happy 150 anniversary Wednesday. Lose 2 of your brightest talents so our fans don't moan about being held to ransom.

Same fans happy to still get behind the biggest waste of 10m quid ever.

Edited by DuttyTeabags
Hirst

1 hour ago, trevdi9 said:

my son's mate was on the books at Leicester not so long ago  and very close to the first team +played in first team cup matches in the prem , his wage was £3000 per week .he ruin'd things though by being stupid he is at Scunny now

Interesting video, though.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, GoldGigsChris said:

Is it really worth bothering having an academy?

SWFC pays good money in pay, accommodation, facilities, coaches, physio's, etc. with little return. When a couple of prospects do come along their only interested is the pay from being a Prem U23, irrespective of any chance of actually playing competitive football, and we get a token "compensation" payment in return for 10 years of investment.

If the Prem want a steady feed of new recruits they should be made to pay for it.

This is the very reason Huddersfield have dumped their academy.

More will follow!

12 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

What better , paying a little more in wages to make sure we keep hold of our best young prospects . or wasting £30k a week on old, injury prone crocks. ?  

Over a barrel in both cases. Agree we should look to keep him but if he goes as part of a summer clear out then that’s football. Obviously won’t have been that bothered about being here. We have a legacy of paying over the odds for bobbar and are now reaping what we have sown