Sean Clare future in doubt

2 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Said it before and will say the same again, Hirst and Clare haven’t proved it in the first team yet so if there wanting too much then let them go! Would love to see them here in the first team and develop but if it isn’t to be then isn’t to be

That’s fair enough, but if we see them merely as development players, why turn down good money? At their level, they are a couple of talented players, and once we’ve cleared out the dead wood, would probably be valuable squad members

It’s the norm these days, that the best of your youngsters can command a better level of salary, than in the days when they’d be sweeping out the dressing rooms Rightly, or wrongly, that’s how it is 

As a comparison and another example how barmy the football industry is, did I hear correctly that someone mentioned  on "Praise or Grumble" last night that  Chris O'Grady was alleged to be on £5k per week at Chesterfield? And this is a player who can't get into a team that looks like it won't be in the Football League in a few weeks' time.

Is it really worth bothering having an academy?

SWFC pays good money in pay, accommodation, facilities, coaches, physio's, etc. with little return. When a couple of prospects do come along their only interested is the pay from being a Prem U23, irrespective of any chance of actually playing competitive football, and we get a token "compensation" payment in return for 10 years of investment.

If the Prem want a steady feed of new recruits they should be made to pay for it.

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

For me, getting Hirst and Clare signed up, is one of the most important issues right now After the recruitment debacle of the last two years, we need to see that lessons have been learned A younger, more dynamic profile for the squad, is the way forward, and as these two are the poster boys of our development programme, it’s imperative that we keep them

Not for me - they don’t wanna sign. 

See you later lads.

a shame - but another example of the  modern footballer - just a desire to be a rich young man.

4 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

What better , paying a little more in wages to make sure we keep hold of our best young prospects . or wasting £30k a week on old, injury prone crocks. ?  

I agree with the sentiment, but the club cannot beg. I for one cannot believe we are here in this position once again. 2 years ago I thought that the youngsters would have fought tooth and nail to stay. Wrong again.

What I don't get is the huge lack of loyalty to the club on their part. They have developed here, got the opportunity here, the least they could do would be sign a contract with a fair release clause.

It is either greed from them or their advisors . Going from potentially sacrificing being a local hero quickly to earning a move to become a nowhere man on big bucks for a good number of years. Whether you've got 2k a week or 15k a week or 100k a week at 20 years old you are still absolutely nothing until you prove yourself.

Feck em and their advisors I say, you are not living the footballing dream you are betraying it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OutspokenTom said:

What I don't get is the huge lack of loyalty to the club on their part. They have developed here, got the opportunity here, the least they could do would be sign a contract with a fair release clause.

It is either greed from them or their advisors . Going from potentially sacrificing being a local hero quickly to earning a move to become a nowhere man on big bucks for a good number of years. Whether you've got 2k a week or 15k a week or 100k a week at 20 years old you are still absolutely nothing until you prove yourself.

Feck em and their advisors I say, you are not living the footballing dream you are betraying it.

I don’t know their reasons, but when you’ve got 6 or 7 strikers ahead of you, maybe you think the path is blocked We have a large squad, full of thirty somethings on big money, most of whom are going nowhere, you might think your prospects are bleak

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t know their reasons, but when you’ve got 6 or 7 strikers ahead of you, maybe you think the path is blocked We have a large squad, full of thirty somethings on big money, most of whom are going nowhere, you might think your prospects are bleak

Perhaps.

If they were to stay here though there is a quicker potential route to the first team that is for sure. Quicker than at Man Utd.

I would say it is better to become a big fish in a small pond before you decide you are ready for a bigger pond. You stand out more and people will want you more. Maybe they dont back themselves to make it and want the bigger cash now before they fail. They are afterall unproven.

Smash 20+ goals in the championship in a years time and some midtable premier league team would come in and offer you 50k+ we to start for them. They'll be on nothing like that for 5 years before they make it if at all at Man U. Likelihood is they will be the next Nick Powell.

Moves to Man Utd to rot in the reserves and occasionally on loan to Crewe whilst on a tidy steady sum may be their cup final.

5 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

How short sighted some of our fans are , We are starting to get some quality young players come through ,And they are asking for a decent wage ,WHAT OTHER CLUBS WILL PAY , Because they have come through the ranks ,Why the hell should they sign for %10 what Rhodes ,And Fletcher gets .

Depends if their ambitions are related to playing the game you might assume they love or they are 100% in it for the cash.