Jose Mourinho on the verge of signing George Hirst

9 minutes ago, NYCOWL said:

I hope the kid makes the right decision for himself and goes on to fulfil his potential.

Think he's been a bit naive and led by his agents/advisers but I hope it turns out well for him.

As Ronnie Starling's post on the previous page highlights, realistically the compensation deal we'll get from a tribunal will be quite small. However, the 20% sell-on clause could be very profitable in future if Hirst can kick on. Alternatively, he flops and gets released in three years time to play for a mid-table League Two team. 

Who knows! 

He’ll go but it’s a terrible decision - more money yes, but likely to sink without a trace there. 

Mourinho isn’t interested in the youth system - can see Hirsrt ending up on loan and then L1 or lower Champ.

David perhaps looking to rectify his own error through his son?  Not a way to make a sensible decision on a player’s future imo. 

2 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

He’ll go but it’s a terrible decision - more money yes, but likely to sink without a trace there. 

Mourinho isn’t interested in the youth system - can see Hirsrt ending up on loan and then L1 or lower Champ.

David perhaps looking to rectify his own error through his son?  Not a way to make a sensible decision on a player’s future imo. 

I did think this myself. You can't live your own dreams through your kids. Not saying he IS doing this mind you. it's all well & good chasing the cash IF this is the case, but George is young enough to recover from a nasty injury, where as David was a lot older.The whole damn thing needs sorting. Just a pity we never got to see him actually play in the 1st team proper, to see whether or not it was all hype, or was he as good as some make out.

42 minutes ago, marshy said:

I did think this myself. You can't live your own dreams through your kids. Not saying he IS doing this mind you. it's all well & good chasing the cash IF this is the case, but George is young enough to recover from a nasty injury, where as David was a lot older.The whole damn thing needs sorting. Just a pity we never got to see him actually play in the 1st team proper, to see whether or not it was all hype, or was he as good as some make out.

It’s all potential with George as he is not really ready for first team football as yet , give him a run in a first team and maybe he will start scoring goals . It helped Nuhui 

5 hours ago, toppOwl said:

Any chance you could think of a worse scenario? :tango:

How about him going on loan to the pigs next season, we play them in the play off final, and he scores a hat trick in a 3-0 win for them.

Celebration 1st goal - he runs alongside all Wednesday fans with the universal "ssssshhhhhhh" sign

Celebration 2nd goal - he runs to all Wednesday fans giving it the old WWF wrestling "suck it" sign 

giphy.gif.b7800b3adb36071ed07c3b766a01729f.gif

Celebration 3rd goal - he runs past the Wednesday fans kissing the pig badge 

I just made myself feel sick. 

tenor.gif.fde56e5cd5212f431eab6251c6742e98.gif

7 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Sooner this whole sorry episode is over the better for all concerned.

This is the very reason Huddersfield have decided to bin their academy and save the millions they invest into it every year.

Food for thought !

We won't know the full impact of a decision like that for at least 5 or 6 years.

Still betting it'll be a massive bungle for Hudds.

Not changing my mind. England and Man Utd future no.9, and a sad loss to Sheffield Wednesday. 

Currently better than Harry Kane, and only ever likely to play for the likes of Man Utd, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Benfica and the like.

If Mr C had put his hand in his pocket, Hirst would have led us to the Premiership, then on to Champions League victory in a few years. We’ve been so short sighted on this.

Edited by theowlsman
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Cheshowl said:

I’m not saying pay the wages he was asking for but the club could have said “go on then, prove your worth” and seen what he could have done in the under 23s and possibly the first team if showed he was good enough. Instead everyone spat their dummies out and Hirst wasn’t even allowed to train with the under 23s let alone play until recently.

I think he's shown what he can do in the U23's already, they wanted him to go out on loan (a good idea) he allegedly turned this down, who would you have dropped to play him in the two seasons when we were going for promotion?

I’ll never understand our fans. We’re getting bummed by Hirst and one of Leicester or Man Utd and some Wednesdayites are wishing Hirst good luck. If he decides to stay then he’ll have a chance to repay our faith in him but if he decides to leave then fvcck him and fvcck who he goes to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Needs to think long & hard about joining Maurinho's lot

Rashford not happy with lack of game time and he's an England full international!

GH what could have been the future of SWFC, legend(fingers crossed) in the making

Footy is rubbish these days dont'cha think?

It's a shame we not see him play for the Owls unless he finshes his career here. It would have been a nice piece of nostalgia for quite  few of us. 

But let's be clear his first job is to secure his financial future. A contract with United (the proper one not that shower of crap from Heeley) will do that. 

He may or may not be good enough for their first team but just by being there he is guaranteed a decent move in the future. 

Good luck to him, he is going to live the dream many of us had. 

Lots of blue-and-white tinted spectacles here. If Man U have come calling he would be insane to turn them down.

I don't remotely blame Hirst for wanting to go to a club like Man U. There are risks, but the upside is enormous.

Nor do I particularly blame the Wednesday top brass. Yes, it has seemed perverse not to allow him to play this season, even if he does want away.

But in practice it's unclear how much of an asset he would have been. There seems to be consensus among those of us who have actually seen him play that by the end of last season he wasn't anywhere near ready for first team football at championship level.  That's certainly my view. That might have changed over the past few months, but it might not; it's hard to think the contribution would have been more than marginal.