Jose Mourinho on the verge of signing George Hirst

33 minutes ago, Minton said:

Just as an example to back up the tribunal stuff:

Troy Archibald-Henville - Exeter City to Swindon Town

- The PFCC decided that Swindon Town should pay Exeter City an initial compensation fee of £200,000
- Additionally, Swindon Town are to pay Exeter City a further £20,000 after the player has made 15, 30, 45 and 60 appearances i.e. a total further payment of £80,000.
- Swindon Town should also pay Exeter City a sum of £40,000 if they are promoted to the Championship whilst the player is employed by the club.
- Swindon Town should also pay Exeter City a further sum of £100,000 if they are promoted to the Premier League whilst the player is employed by the club.
- Swindon Town should also pay Exeter City 20% of any profit made by Swindon Town in selling the player to another club at any point in the future.

https://www.efl.com/news/2012/september/pfcc-tribunal-decisions/

GH will command a much higher fee, plus have more gateway payments for international appearances too as he has history. I would be expecting around £2-3m up front with £200,000+ for each appearance milestone and more than that for international milestones.

A top England player would never stay here long-term, not unless we did a City, but it's about the timing of the move which angers me.

He'll not make the grade there, and they'll sell him on for a big fee to a lesser PL club.

That could have been us selling him on, were we still in this division.

I don't blame the club for this mess.

Chansiri doubtless realized that whatever the club offered, Hirst senior would tell his son to reject.

The best thing the Elder Hirst can do is get canned up on the other side of the Pennines.

1 minute ago, Athelwulf said:

A top England player would never stay here long-term, not unless we did a City, but it's about the timing of the move which angers me.

He'll not make the grade there, and they'll sell him on for a big fee to a lesser PL club.

That could have been us selling him on, were we still in this division.

I don't blame the club for this mess.

Chansiri doubtless realized that whatever the club offered, Hirst senior would tell his son to reject.

The best thing the Elder Hirst can do is get canned up on the other side of the Pennines.

Having watched Hirst he has something about him and has a future, you don't bang 40 goals in a season in if you are s h i t e. I concur with you about the club they were damned if they offered a bigger contract and damned if they didn't, it was just never destined to end well when he had his head turned. What I will add is that we missed a trick with not blooding him last season from the bench when he was on fire but that was CC's fault and not DC's.

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

I don't have a problem with Hirst junior, he's just a young lad, it's Hirst senior I have a problem with.

Weeing up our backs.

He's had a big part to play in this.

You know that do you?

Please explain to us exactly why he left his ambassadorial role last season.

3 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Having watched Hirst he has something about him and has a future, you don't bang 40 goals in a season in if you are s h i t e. I concur with you about the club they were damned if they offered a bigger contract and damned if they didn't, it was just never destined to end well when he had his head turned. What I will add is that we missed a trick with not blooding him last season from the bench when he was on fire but that was CC's fault and not DC's.

Hmm. The 2 players with similar or better scoring records for England u18 are Adam Armstrong and Bradley Frewster. Armstrong didn't pull up any trees in the championship with Bolton, although having a decent run in L1 currently.

Frewster is playing for Spennymoor Town... nuff said.

Promise at youth level doesn't equal guaranteed future returns sadly.

50 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Sorry mate, disagree entirely with that assessment

At that time Troy Archibald Henville had played over 100 games for Exeter in league one.

A dozen U21 England games for George Hirst doesn't amount to anywhere near that level of status within the game, and as such there is no bloody way we'll be getting £2m for him... that's cloud cuckoo land figures. 

If you want a more accurate guesstimate, look at Jed Steer:

http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2016/11/compensation-players-24-mystery/

Very similar situation to Hirst... full youth career at his initial club (Norwich), played well in their youth teams, had loan periods at League Two clubs and fetched £450k on his transfer to Villa. Given the increase in transfer fees, the fact that Hirst is a striker (always has more worth) and the potential transfer is Man Utd, we maaaay fetch £1m for him... but his lack of first team appearances for a professional club will go against him. But holding up Troy Archibald-Henville, a player with over 100 first-team appearances, and saying that he proves we'll get 4x as much money for Hirst is barmy...

Assuming you are right re first team appearances, it makes it an even stranger decision to lock him out. 

Getting blooded into first team action (ala Clare) would seem to increase his tribunal transfer value, so even if he leaves, we'd be in a better position to be in.  Plus he'd have been more likely to see us as the place to stay and develop his career as well as sending out a better message to the rest of the development squad about their futures.

I don't really mind if he is picked or not, I'm happy for the manager(s) to decide if he offers more than the rest of the forwards to merit a place.  No problem not picking him for football reasons (although it would obviously have been nice to see him) but to lock him out seems to be cutting our nose of to spite our face. 

I'd still argue for him to available to be picked on merit regardless of the contract position which seem to give upside to everyone - the Owls, Hirst and other youngsters developing or choosing whether to come to us in the future, but assuming the contract value point is correct, it also makes it a poor commercial decision alongside a footballing one.

Guest Bulgaria

Can't see Jose signing him, I mean he is not already established as a world star, he needs some coaching and his wages and transfer fee is not equal to the national debt of America.

On 4/9/2018 at 10:34, S36 OWL said:

It's not Hirst who I have the problem with. It's doyen. 

But Chansiri invited Doyen in to earn massive dosh, dump their clients here, scout / recruit crap and nick best youngster we've had.

Ironically , he was stargazing with Mourinho who got his mate Carlos here, loaned us nowt then stole Hirsty.

By way of a comparison on how to do things, last young striker Katy sold was Lookman from  Charlton to Everton.

For £11 million. Basic.

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

You know that do you?

Perhaps you could explain it Geoffrey. As you clearly know.

If you can't then people, rightly, will speculate.

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

You know that do you?

Do you know why Hirst Sr left? You hint about it a lot but I'm afraid I've missed the bit where you explain exactly what happened.

1 hour ago, Minton said:

Hmm. The 2 players with similar or better scoring records for England u18 are Adam Armstrong and Bradley Frewster. Armstrong didn't pull up any trees in the championship with Bolton, although having a decent run in L1 currently.

Frewster is playing for Spennymoor Town... nuff said.

Promise at youth level doesn't equal guaranteed future returns sadly.

I agree but the chance to blood him has been missed and thus giving the impression that there was no perceived route to the first team

1 minute ago, Geoffrey said:

Or, wrongly.

The thing is darling, while ever you don't back up anything you ever say with substantiated evidence ; facts, names, etc etc then I'm afraid........you can't really call people out....because you're are just as big a  tittle-tattler-  as the rest of us!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

The thing is darling, while ever you don't back up anything you ever say with substantiated evidence ; facts, names, etc etc then I'm afraid........you can't really call people out....because you're are just as big a  tittle-tattler-  as the rest of us!

Is that posh speak for lyingbastard ??

• Haha 2