Sam Winnall plans to stop at Derby

Sam Winnall appears to have no plans to return to Sheffield Wednesday before the end of his Derby County loan spell.

Winnall is expected to be out for six to nine months after undergoing surgery to repair a damaged anterior cruciate ligament earlier in February.

And the striker has already indicated via his Instagram account that he has begun his rehabilitation at Derby rather than Sheffield Wednesday.

Speaking to RamsTV over the weekend, he has since revealed his intention to remain at Pride Park and use his positivity behind the scenes to inspire his teammates to promotion to the Premier League.

"So far I have loved my time here," said Winnall. "I love working with the staff, payers and everyone at the football club.

"The injury was terrible and terrible timing with the run-in but I feel I have got other things to give within the squad and dressing room.

"I feel as though my positivity – not on the pitch – but in and around the training ground every day can help the team and hopefully help us succeed.

"I may not be able to help on the pitch until the end of the season, but I definitely can behind the scenes.

"I’ll be doing everything I can to remain positive and help in any way I can."

Winnall, who has registered seven goals and two assists in seven league starts this season, is under contract until 2020 at Sheffield Wednesday.

It is currently unclear as to whether or not Derby have an option to turn the 27-year-old's deal permanent, although early indications suggest a willingness from both the Rams and Winnall to do so.

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

One of the top scorers in the Championship over the last 18 months. Not to be sold on the cheap. Not when your Gary Madines are going for £6m after scoring 1/3rd of the amount Winnall has at this level.

Exactly, if he doesn't want to be here then Derby can have him for £7m+ add ons.

13 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

One of the top scorers in the Championship over the last 18 months. Not to be sold on the cheap. Not when your Gary Madines are going for £6m after scoring 1/3rd of the amount Winnall has at this level.

don't fully understand our fans wanting to get rid so easy

not like were blessed in the striker dept

Hooper injury prone

Fletcher never gonna score enough

Rhodes appears a spent force

Joao raw but good potential

Nuhui well look at his strike rate,and pace.or lack off

FF doesn't appear to wan't to play

so to really be prepared to let a striker like Winnall.who let#s be honest is better than the above

is beyond me.

• Haha 1