Vincent Sasso signs - OFFICIAL

2 minutes ago, coreyswfc said:

Lees excellent, but not dominant in the air.

Hutch is injury prone so more than likely will miss plenty of games.

Loovens is injury prone and also not dominant in the air.

Sasso will get hammered against any big strong striker. O'grady etc.

Semedo is league one standard at best.

Add to the fact Hunt and Pudil arent top 2 standard i think it'll be our defence that let us down.

I think it will let us down too like last season when we only got 17 clean sheets.

Edited by s29wfc

Happy with this. No settling in. Can be brought up to speed. Cover for the season and looking to improve next year. Would like RB cover now.

Time to get a few out on loan or sold. Hopefully our casualty woes will be at the start of the season. Pretty happy with the squad so far. Still want some extra steel in defensive midfield though.

Just now, coreyswfc said:

We were one of the highest scorers . What made us finish 6th then ?

So you don't think having 17 clean sheets had anything to do with it? And a further 2 from 3 games already this season might I add.

4 minutes ago, coreyswfc said:

Add to the fact Hunt and Pudil arent top 2 standard i think it'll be our defence that let us down.

i suggest you look at a few stats mate.

1 - The amount of clean sheets last season

2 - The amount of games Hutch & Loovens played last year.

3 - The amount of goals we have conceded since this calendar year in the league, including the 3 games this season.

You'll be very surprised at just how good our defensive players are & what a good job they did last season, and the beginning of this (apart from the shocker on Tuesday).

6 minutes ago, BRADDAZ said:

3 - The amount of goals we have conceded since this calendar year in the league, including the 3 games this season.

You'll be very surprised at just how good our defensive players are & what a good job they did last season, and the beginning of this (apart from the shocker on Tuesday).

Agreed

If I am not mistaken we managed 17 clean sheets the year before aswell

I think when everyone is fit our defence is more than good enough 

3 minutes ago, coreyswfc said:

We were one of the highest scorers . What made us finish 6th then ?

A mixture of a not good enough defence, midfield, and attack

Defence conceded the most goals of any in the top 6... clean sheets are great but if every time you don't keep one you let in 2 or 3, it isn't fantastic. The slow start probably didn't help though. Scored the second fewest goals in the top 6, that needs improving. Abdi and Fletcher on paper should do that

Midfield contribute to both these things, clearly wasn't good enough

Far too simplistic to say it was one area of the pitch, the whole team needs improving.

Fletcher, Buckley and Abdi look to improve the attacking options

Jones and Abdi are improving the midfield

Jones and Hutch playing at CB improves the defence

Do I think the defence needs further improvement? Perhaps, but it's clear we're going to have to make do this season with what we've got in that regard... the goal needs to be to be an attacking threat. The worry is that we've yet to manage it. Need to kick on with that, but not worried just yet... I said if we get 10+ points from the first 5 games we're on track... so we need to win the next two games. 

Sasso is decent cover, but I feel for him a bit. It's clear we wanted better and spent all summer looking for it.

Now when forced we have given him the chance to come back. Does this mean we won't be looking for anyone else? He's a good defender in terms of his technique but he's not very aggressive.

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Sasso is decent cover, but I feel for him a bit. It's clear we wanted better and spent all summer looking for it.

Now when forced we have given him the chance to come back. Does this mean we won't be looking for anyone else? He's a good defender in terms of his technique but he's not very aggressive.

I think the fact Hutch has slotted in so well at the back probably means a fourth choice option is all we are after, pecking order for me is-

1st choice Lees

2nd Loovens

3rd Hutch (up to second choice if fit he's been impressive)

4th Sasso

5th Semedo

More than adequate that lot providing all remain fit and available.

25 minutes ago, BRADDAZ said:

Don't talk rubbish. Hasn't anyone told you? It's the end of the world. We lost. Season over. 

Or so it seems!

34 minutes ago, coreyswfc said:

:laugh:

Maybe we didn't sign him earlier because we had an idea that he might be getting released closer to the season and therefore we'd get him for free? Carlos may have thought that he had enough cover until the injuries to get by. Either that or we have only recently been priced out of buying Duffy or someone else.