Vincent Sasso signs - OFFICIAL

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Didn't realise, that signing better than what we already had, meant only signing someone better than those. Next question, why has it taken us four games into the season to do this deal. Nobody else seemed to want him

maybe braga were hoping to get money for him ,maybe they wanted to keep him back for a while to cover there injured centre back , maybe carlos as been let down on another target so as gone for sasso maybe there could be 10 other reasons .......how can you possibly know that no other club wanted him.there could have been a queue of clubs after him and we offered him the best deal for all we know .

We can't forget that Loovens is also nearing fitness, and if he is fit and as plays as well as he usually does he'll be first choice alongside Lees, with Hutchinson and Sasso as back up - which is MORE than good enough.

Sasso is a good signing in my book - did a really good job last season in some tough games, stepped in for both Lee & Loovens, knows his teammates, its a no brainer for me.

5 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

I'd say in today's market Lees is probably worth about 6-8m

Hutch slightly less as he has a tarnished reputation with injurys 

Loovens is our club captain and has been a mainstay in our rock solid defence of the last two seasons

So all the we need better brigade. Who and exactly what do you think we are going to spend on this mysterious centre back? 

Looking forward to hearing all the dreamers suggestions. 

Apparently Hanley would have been the answer to all our problems even though last time I checked he was just a half decent centre back for mediocre championship team... 

(Yes I'm aware Newcastle have since payed silly money for him) 

6 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

I'd say in today's market Lees is probably worth about 6-8m

Hutch slightly less as he has a tarnished reputation with injurys 

Loovens is our club captain and has been a mainstay in our rock solid defence of the last two seasons

So all the we need better brigade. Who and exactly what do you think we are going to spend on this mysterious centre back? 

Looking forward to hearing all the dreamers suggestions. 

Based on his age and current reputation and the prices of other cb you can double that price

52 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Agree, but, we shipped in more goals last season when Lees was injured, and similarly when Loovens missed the last couple of months of the season before. We all know our defence is strong in good health. When one or two pull out, the outcome is far less convincing. We must have depth in quality, and not just strength in numbers. 

Here's an interesting stat for you: we actually won more points per game during Tom Lees' injury layoff than we did across the season as a whole.

Not that I'd advocate injuring him again, mind you!

Plenty of attributes and time on his side.

Could develop into a good player, but not sure he's ready for an extended spell in the side, so we're going to have to be fortunate with the fitness of the others if this is in the end of the recruitment in central defence.

No loans until January, and Hutch, Lees and Loovens have all had niggles since pre season.

3 minutes ago, coreyswfc said:

We didn't sign him at the end of last season because we deemed him not good enough. What's changed?

How do you know we deemed him not good enough? Maybe we have been waiting for fc braga to release him from his contract so that we can save the quoted  £2 million to buy him. We waited till the start of August to bring Pudil back so the same could be said of him then?

1 minute ago, coreyswfc said:

We didn't sign him at the end of last season because we deemed him not good enough. What's changed?

Firstly, you don't sign players at the end of the season, you need to wait for the transfer window to open.

Secondly, where have you got the inside info about us not signing him because he wasn't good enough? If CC said this then I would be interested to see or hear that interview.

Finally, how much money do you want us to spend on a 4th choice CB?

Vincent Sasso came in last season and did well apart from one questionable performance against Bolton.

It is very difficult for a player to come in and out of the side, they don't get to play regular football, they don't get any consistency, taking that into consideration I think Sasso was very important last season when Loovens and Lees missed games.

Each to their own, I suppose.

OK, let's get this straight, Sasso isn't crap. He's a decent utility defender who can do a job off the bench, and in certain situations where there is no aerial threat. Does he improve our starting eleven? No he doesn't  One of problems we had last season, is we conceded a lot of goals to headers in the six yard box. We needed a commanding centre back who would take charge at the back so we didn't crumble against sides like Cambridge and Burton. If Sasso is in addition to a proper centre back who can compete with Loovens for a place alongside Lees or Hutchinson, then that's OK. If he's the sole centre back addition, then we'll have the same problems as we had last year

Guest wilyfox
26 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Can I ask who are you dropping? Lees or Hutch?

And you think they'll remain fit throughout? This isn't the first time we've had multiple injuries in the same position. Sasso would be needed. Is he as good? No.