Vincent Sasso signs - OFFICIAL

2 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

As the manager I'd have expected him to have sorted this during the summer. Maybe not all his fault, but a big mistake by all involved. 

I agree it is partially blame for all involved it depends on the targets that they had for centre-back

have they been rejected after rejected for the targets that they was looking for?

then it's back to the drawing board trying to find new targets sometimes it's a vicious circle which takes time .

the management and the manager of Sheffield Wednesday truly believe that they will bring somebody in that will fit in work well with the team and style of play we do.

16 minutes ago, Liamswfc92 said:

We aren't going to sign a Lewis Dunk-type player (not him specifically but someone of that ilk) just to sit on the bench.

Sasso, for me, would make sense.

We need two centre backs.

One for cover and one better than we've got or as good as Lees. That's if we're serious about challenging for top two. You don't just bring players in to make up the numbers. If we're to progress and go for top two then we need someone better than Hutchinson and Loovens. We're weak and vulnerable at the back from crosses. Hutchinson and Loovens can't be relied upon season long. So we need someone at least as good as them to partner Lees and keep them on their toes.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

5 minutes ago, Liamswfc92 said:

We aren't going to sign a Lewis Dunk-type player (not him specifically but someone of that ilk) just to sit on the bench.

My point is that he wont be sat on the bench? It will be more a case of the fittest out of Lees, Hutch, Semedo or Loovens partnering our new and hopefully fit centre half.

Surely we want a player who is capable of taking the next step up, because we do not want to have to go through all this again next summer do we? Hutch cannot play more than two games on the trot without getting progressively worse throughout the season, so we definitely need a player who can play at least half our games just so that we have continuity. Loovens just managed to get back to his best in time for the end of the season last time out and the few times that he and Sasso played together there were far too many holes at the back, so imagine some of the less experienced pairings we could have with Sasso. If he could play to his highest level of performance for a full game OK, but a player should only be judged on his average performances and Sasso's were not good enough. Having a blinder in a cup game against poor opposition is no good if you have stinkers against the mid to top of the table teams in the Championship and our owner wants us win promotion this season.

We need an above average centre half at this level if that is where we want to finish, because you are only as good as your weakest player. Burton had only just watched Semedo limp off yesterday and they exposed the weakness straight away with a goal. We need to buy or loan a quality player. 

41 minutes ago, Liamswfc92 said:

I wouldn't want Lewis Dunk. Can be a complete liability at times. His sendings off last season cost Brighton promotion. 

We are not going to get more than 25 games out of Loovens, the signs have been on the wall these past 18 months, he is getting to be as prone as Hutchinson to injury. We need Sasso back on a temporary basis (6mths) and we should spend big on a talented under 30 year old leader for C/B. Semedo is simply not tall enough to play at centre back, even in an emergency, his only role could be to provide cover for holding mid field. We should stop penny pinching and pay Villa what Bennett is worth (£1m) and he is an ideal player to vie with Pudl for L/B.Then get somebody on loan from a Prem side to provide strength in depth on left side.

Whatever they do, do it quickly and get the team settled. That 2 weeks delay because of the play offs, will prove costly if we do not recruit quickly. It would help also, to have the full squad strength up and running, so that departures can be sorted before other clubs have spent up elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Liamswfc92 said:

sat on the bench ? like he would have been last night. bottom line a team with promotion aspirations should never have to resort to a cr@p cm and a left back to play in central defence. loovens is a crock and not exactly indispensable, hutchinson is decent but a crock and that just leaves lees, also injured.

I'd love to see a cb come in and make the shirt his own 

People keep saying that whoever will sign will be back up

Hutchinson is a good player but you can't have a defensive partnership that gets split every couple of games because one of them can only manage 25 games a season, it's too important a position and that for me makes Hutch the back up option

We need to look for a solid, reliable partner for Lees, not just somebody to fill a shirt.

6 minutes ago, Lee A said:

People keep saying that whoever will sign will be back up

Hutchinson is a good player but you can't have a defensive partnership that gets split every couple of games because one of them can only manage 25 games a season, it's too important a position and that for me makes Hutch the back up option

We need to look for a solid, reliable partner for Lees, not just somebody to fill a shirt.

Exactly ^

Wouldnt solve the problem of teams who try to be direct against us. We struggle against teams who come to give us a fight. Sasso wouldnt change anything as i dont think he's tough enough to be a championship centre back. Think we just have to accept that we wont be beating teams like burton, rotherham and preston away from home this season

Hope we don't sign him, otherwise my missus will start wanting to go to games again.....*sighs*

I thought he was steady for us last year though, never really did anything wrong, few decent games, solid squad player.

Probably not what we needed vs Burton as he's more of a ball playing centre half, but would be good back up to Hutchinson to partner Lees at the back i would think. Could do a job for 5-10 games this year, which is what we need right now.

Loovens/Lees/Hutchinson/Sasso/+1 more loan player.....very happy with that

Edited by Del_Liles

Similarly to what was said when Alex Lopez returning was on the cards, knows the club, the players here and what CC expects of him. From what we saw last season he's a decent centre half and very good cover (immense against Fulham). Getting him back is some way to improving the defensive situation. Still think a longer term solution such as Flint or Dunk is required.