Vincent Sasso signs - OFFICIAL

1 hour ago, JoshTheOwl said:

So we wait around all summer and still go back for a player we decide wasn't good enough 

Spot on. Sasso was ok but only back up for an area that needs to be improved with the same quality as midfield & attack.

It does seem a gaping hole in CC usual impeccable planning.  First thing the fans say is that we need a CB cover.  If we mere fans can see this why hasn't the club?  

I know you have to wait for the right player to become available but it's being an on going issues for a few weeks now and I'm very surprised that it's not been resolved.

I feel guilty for this small criticism of CC, hope everyone can forgive me.

23 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Personally I take the opposite view.

Lees Hutch is our optimal CB pairing.

Bringing in a new captain relegates Hutch to the bench.

In my opinion Sasso is the best solution. Knows the squad and will fill in but not necessarily a shoe in for the first team.

That's the way I see it. We already had one of the best defences on the league and Hutchinson upgrades that too. Would be happy with Sasso as reserve. Still, should have been sorted for last night.

Guest wilyfox

Well, so be it. We have to do something. Can't help but feel recruitment has failed in that position though. Sasso, though decent and solid at times, was inconsistent and unimposing. I was hoping for someone more robust. 

Cant even think of a quality centre half that we could possibly attract , even with a few quid !  

left back situation would be nipped by getting Joe Bennet in 

How do you know we have been waiting around all summer?

We might have been trying to get 1 or 2 defenders in and been unsuccessful. 

People saying why didn't you go for Sasso earlier. If he had resigned then there would have been the typical Owlstalk negative responses of "not good enough " etc

33 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Sadly, until Hutch can be relied upon to complete at least 2/3 of the season on the pitch, we can't build a team around that centre half partnership

Playing him in his more natural position in defence rather than midfield may have the added benefit of him not picking up so many injuries/cards meaning that we can actually build a team around him and Lees. 

32 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Would be a woefully inadequate response in my opinion. We needed to bring in a dominant centre back, and if all we end up with, are exactly the same options as last season, then that isn't progress in my eyes. If it were him AND a top class central defender, then of course, that would be different

But with Hutch now playing CB we have improved that area, we are just short on numbers which, bringing Sasso in would address.

13 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Cant even think of a quality centre half that we could possibly attract , even with a few quid !  

left back situation would be nipped by getting Joe Bennet in 

Shane Duffy has apparently rejected a contract today

29 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

But with Hutch now playing CB we have improved that area, we are just short on numbers which, bringing Sasso in would address.

Im not totally convinced that would give us the overall quality we need in that department. Hutchinson now playing centre back gives us another option but we need a more dominant figure amongst the group

It's an interesting one.  I think Lees and Hutch as a first choice pairing are as good as anyone in this league.  We would then have Loovens as first choice backup and Sasso and Semedo as 4th and 5th choice.  I would be confident that that defence would get us into the top 6. 

Guest wilyfox
42 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

I think that's probably right. The right to buy fee in his loan contract (leaked after the hack on Doyen Sports) was £2.21m in 2 installments of £1.105m

Pay one instalment, then cancel the debit card. Cos that's all he's worth.