Vincent Sasso signs - OFFICIAL

Guest wilyfox
38 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

When does it stop though, shall we go and sign another 3/4 million rated striker in case Hooper, Fletcher and Forestieri get knocks.

No we have Nuhiu and Joao, players who aren't quite at the same level.

No squad is built like you suggest, the best squads in the world will have squad players.

It stops with 2 quality options per position, which is what Carlos keeps talking about. 

36 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

So you want our back up to be as good as Hutch or Lees

Go and join guru in cloud cuckoo land. 

If Carlos wanted Hanley, seems he wanted a quality fourth option as well. Not cuckoo land after all.

10 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Weve played three league games. Performed quite well in two and took 4 points. Played badly in the other and lost.

As for Cambridge you are being an absolute idiot making any reference to that game bearing in mind the line up

Absolutely

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Its a squad game, as Carlos points out. Let's not be selective, we've played four, won one, drawn one, and lost two.

Arrr so now it's a squad game when it suits. Right-O.

1 minute ago, runningaround said:

people on here throwing toys out o the pram, correct me if I am wrong, but why wouldnt he be a good squad signing on a free? Miles better than Turner and knows the team already. Struggle to get better cover in same circumstances.

All our squad members should be 4m pound players.

Why the f'k sign Fletcher on a free when we could have signed McCormack for 12m.

#Wednesdayitesgettingcarriedaway

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

So it wasn't a genuine competition then?  We put out a side with 10 changes last season against Newcastlle, and we were all happy to include that win in our list of achievements.

A cup run is always nice, especially if you can manage it with your reserves. But come on, you can't lump that game in with our league games. Fair enough if we'd played a full side, but we didn't.

31 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

The results seem to back it up?

We've played three league games, and got two very good results (and performances for the most part) in two of them, and had one poor result, where we had one centre half available for the game, and spent the entirety of it, playing either a central midfielder or a full back in that position.

I by no means have rose tinted specs on, but all things considered, it's hardly a disastrous start. Especially when you consider that we've had the whole Forestieri saga dragging on in the background and foreground throughout, and had the injury to our key summer signing during his debut to contend with.

It's simply not feasible, nor always particularly wise, to completely overhaul a squad, and replace every position with better players. Sasso will come in, and prove to be a more than able deputy for Lees, Hutchinson & Loovens. We've four centre halves who are all use to this division, all very comfortable on the ball, and all know each others games having been together for the past 12 months. 

I've made it clear throughout that I'd have brought Sasso back, IF the deal was right. When sums of £2m were been banded about, I wasn't so keen (though compared to the ridiculous sums we've seen this summer, it wouldn't have been such a poor deal). However, to get Sasso on a free transfer (if reports are true), is an incredibly shrewd bit of business, and completely sorts out our centre half issues. Sasso won't come in expecting to play week in week out, but provides a solid, classy option if we need to rotate, or cover injuries. And to be honest, if Sasso has a run of games, I'm certain he'd be a very good centre half at this level.

I never said it was a disastrous start, it's probably on a par with last season's start, and that's my point. Most on here were saying, had we not had that indifferent start last season, we'd have challenged for an automatic. Well hey ho, here we go again

Just now, gurujuan said:

I never said it was a disastrous start, it's probably on a par with last season's start, and that's my point. Most on here were saying, had we not had that indifferent start last season, we'd have challenged for an automatic. Well hey ho, here we go again

Last season we failed to beat ANY of the eventual top 6. We've played two sides already, who most will tip to finish in the top 6, and beaten one of them, and got a great point away from home at the other.

Last season, we managed to beat newly promoted Bristol at home, lost away to Ipswich, and somehow managed to claim a hugely undeserved draw against a bang average Reading side at home. 

I'd say, even with Tuesday's appalling result and performance, our start easily eclipse's last seasons. 

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, S_W_F_C said:

What happened when we learnt the fee for Hanley again, just remind me? Oh yes we ran a mile 

Thanks

Sounds like we spent the money elsewhere instead. Doesn't make Sasso good enough. Next you'll be telling me it was Hanley or Sasso, no other options. 

Just now, gurujuan said:

I think you need to refresh yourself with last seasons start.

Take into account this season we have played Villa and Norwich already, those 2 games and 4 points was a good start.

Those 4 points still count at the end of the season.

The Burton game caught us out a bit and that is whats caused the drama queens to make an appearance.

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Only 6 points from our first 7 games last season. Maybe we should see how many points we're on after 7 games this time before talking about an indifferent start.

1 minute ago, Southie_Owl said:

Staton or Howson has said this evening that his contract hasn't been terminated and we'll be paying a fee 

Howson said earlier it was a loan.

With all due respect, any bloke on street knows as much as he does. 

Stealing a living.

This is the A Bola article by the way http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=626802

Edited by frastheowl
Inserted link

30 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Last season we failed to beat ANY of the eventual top 6. We've played two sides already, who most will tip to finish in the top 6, and beaten one of them, and got a great point away from home at the other.

Last season, we managed to beat newly promoted Bristol at home, lost away to Ipswich, and somehow managed to claim a hugely undeserved draw against a bang average Reading side at home. 

I'd say, even with Tuesday's appalling result and performance, our start easily eclipse's last seasons. 

We played well first half, against a very ordinary Villa side on the day, but struggled second half when they got in our faces. Norwich was an excellent performance, particularly second half. Burton, we were dire throughout. We look OK, and I would say we have a side who should be capable of making the play offs

Guest wilyfox
Just now, S_W_F_C said:

What so if we'd signed Hanley we wouldn't have bought Abdi or Jones is that what your saying?

Oki doki. 

Maybe not. We were supposedly trying for Forshaw on loan...

The players that clubs end up with often differ from their original wish-list. Things might have panned out very differently had Newcastle not made their move for Hanley.  

2 minutes ago, TheEnd1976 said:

When I first looked at the fixtures at the beginning of the season I would've been happy with the three points from our first three games lol so I am happy because we have  One point More

This absolutely. 2 relegated sides back to back. 4 points from those 2 fixtures was excellent. Setback at Burton, and Leeds will be tough, however, there was a thread a few weeks ago asking posters to submit their best guess for points after 5 games. 10 points from the first 5 I think is acceptable

Hanley has a completely different set of attributes to Sasso. Why if we were looking for the attributes Hanley offers, and by all accounts, were prepared to go to £4m to acquire them, would we switch to Sasso. As I said, if we were bringing in Sasso as a utility defender to supplement another quality centre back, then that might have made more sense

Guest wilyfox
Just now, S_W_F_C said:

Listen to what Carlos said, we'd been tracking Abdi for a long time.

We are not in the market for 5m centre backs. Fortunately for us we've picked one up for free, possibly even two if you count hutch.

Bizarre that we are getting so hung up over a cover centre back but the glaringly obvious lack of lace in the team seems not to bother people.

Hanley or McManaman and Sasso? I know what I'd prefer (does not have to be McManaman but just an example)

I'm sure we've tracked lots of players. DC revealed on Sky last season how he approaches recruitment; 5 possibles per vacancy. Same policy Milan implemented.

You keep referring to a new CB as cover. We needed him against Cambridge. We needed him against Burton. That's 2 games from 4. Would already have been significant involvement. It's so far cost us 3pts and a place in the cup. 

It's 2 strong options per position for a reason: that's what Carlos needs over the season.