Vincent Sasso signs - OFFICIAL

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If we sign Sasso, that will be 7 players signed, and arguably only 2, Fletcher and Abdi who are an improvement on what we had last season That's not really going to make the difference between top six, and the automatics.

From the start of last season to this:

Price out, Kean in. Improvement?

Wiggins out, Pudil in. Improvement?

Lopez out, Abdi In. Improvement?

Lavery out, Fletcher In. ?

McGugan out, Jones in. ?

Buckley is a vast improvement on Helan and Sougou.

We also need to remember we haven't finished yet.

Privately, I don't think Wednesday are "going for it" this season. I think they'll improve where they can - that is if they can get a good player in on the cheap, like Fletcher, then they'll sign him - but I can't see them pushing the boat out. This policy has been dictated by who's come down from the PL in May. For instance, would 'Boro have pushed the boat out had they still been in the division this season? Probably not. To get out a non-parachute club has to breach FFP, and failure to gain promotion is suicidal.

I can understand people's frustrations that we've only seen two upgrades, but realistically we're not going to get too many. At the end of last season, I considered our main weaknesses to be at right back, left back, centre back depth, defensive midfield and out wide (There were obviously shortages in other areas but these were the main ones that needed addressing).

This transfer window we've so far added (of note):

-A very good striker

-A very good central/attacking midfielder

-A very good defensive midfielder

-A good winger

It seems we've addressed the defensive midfielder issue and partially addressed the winger issue to date... the centre back issue looks likely to be resolved by the weekend. These are good additions, but I think a lot of people's frustration is born out of the fact we've strengthened in places that weren't key issues at the start of the window. They're excellent deals, really good work, but we're still struggling in places. We haven't strengthened the left back position (which perhaps wasn't necessary) but for me the real kicker is the right back and winger scenario... these are still two glaring issues that need addressing because we've only got one out-and-out winger at the club in Wallace (Buckley's a bit more attacking in that sense)

Folks are probably just annoyed that we've got those holes. Certainly the recruitment we have done has been absolutely top notch, but I suspect a couple are frustrated at the recruitment that we haven't done yet. 

Just gotta be patient and wait it out, no doubt by the end of the window they'll have been addressed

But was he included in your 7 ?

I don't keep count of new signings

I expect to see Fletcher Abdi Jones as regulars who improve our team. Buckley I am less certain about given the lack of playing time over the last few years. It's a big ask. 

I also think we will sign a couple more before the window shuts

31 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Dear me we've played 3 games.

Ignore David Jones. He's no better than anything we had.

Only won 4 promotions to the prem, including an almost ever present in the champions last season.

Four games, you're forgetting the horror show at Cambridge. I actually like Dave Jones, he's a decent player at this level, and I'm happy to have signed him. I don't though, think he is a significant upgrade on Lopez.

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Four games, you're forgetting the horror show at Cambridge. I actually like Dave Jones, he's a decent player at this level, and I'm happy to have signed him. I don't though, think he is a significant upgrade on Lopez.

I'm a Lopez lover, and I don't think Jones is a significant upgrade on him, but you have to admit... he's definitely a small upgrade. Realistically when it comes to players like that, that's all we're going to get are small upgrades. To get significant upgrades we either need to spend big or be in the Prem. 

I wish we had signed Bidwell more than anything else this window, to be honest I'm a bit disappointed we got Pudil because he's 31 and we're not realistically going to get more than one or two seasons out of him (Definitely just the one if we get promoted this season), but I can definitely accept that any other LB signing we could have made would have been only a minor upgrade on Pudil, who by and large has been quite consistent 

Edited by StudentOwl

29 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Weve played three league games. Performed quite well in two and took 4 points. Played badly in the other and lost.

As for Cambridge you are being an absolute idiot making any reference to that game bearing in mind the line up

Its a squad game, as Carlos points out. Let's not be selective, we've played four, won one, drawn one, and lost two.

if I had to choose between Sasso andTurner who we both had on loan last season.

for me I pick Sasso looks a bright up coming player with good head on him for the why we play

like get  forward if we need too turner is what now 32? Slow and made  quite a lot of mistakes for as last season that cost us goals 

Edited by TheEnd1976

Just now, gurujuan said:

Its a squad game, as Carlos points out. Let's not be selective, we've played four, won one, drawn one, and lost two.

You're not going to force people to consider the Cambridge game are you? We played three teenagers who will never be anywhere near  the first team for a league game this season, and two players who would be lucky to accumulate 90 minutes of league football between them this year. 

Carlito knows this division far better than a year ago. Our players have much more cohesion than a year ago. The players we've added make us a better team. It's just that of the three who came down, two of them are ranked among the top ten biggest clubs in the land, and Norwich only gained promotion from this division a year and a quarter ago. Villa haven't played at this level for almost 30 years. This isn't a normal Championship season.

29 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Strange that you include the Cambridge game. Carlos' selection and subs show how seriously he took that game.

So it wasn't a genuine competition then?  We put out a side with 10 changes last season against Newcastlle, and we were all happy to include that win in our list of achievements.

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Agreed, but we probably needed four players who could actually improve our starting eleven. Fletcher and Abdi do that, the rest just consolidate what we had last season. That in itself is good, I'm just saying it isn't enough, and results would seem to back that up

The results seem to back it up?

We've played three league games, and got two very good results (and performances for the most part) in two of them, and had one poor result, where we had one centre half available for the game, and spent the entirety of it, playing either a central midfielder or a full back in that position.

I by no means have rose tinted specs on, but all things considered, it's hardly a disastrous start. Especially when you consider that we've had the whole Forestieri saga dragging on in the background and foreground throughout, and had the injury to our key summer signing during his debut to contend with.

It's simply not feasible, nor always particularly wise, to completely overhaul a squad, and replace every position with better players. Sasso will come in, and prove to be a more than able deputy for Lees, Hutchinson & Loovens. We've four centre halves who are all use to this division, all very comfortable on the ball, and all know each others games having been together for the past 12 months. 

I've made it clear throughout that I'd have brought Sasso back, IF the deal was right. When sums of £2m were been banded about, I wasn't so keen (though compared to the ridiculous sums we've seen this summer, it wouldn't have been such a poor deal). However, to get Sasso on a free transfer (if reports are true), is an incredibly shrewd bit of business, and completely sorts out our centre half issues. Sasso won't come in expecting to play week in week out, but provides a solid, classy option if we need to rotate, or cover injuries. And to be honest, if Sasso has a run of games, I'm certain he'd be a very good centre half at this level.