Pubs near the Sheffield Wednesday ground that have shut

So sad to see so many old pubs closing, but we seem to be quite lucky up in my area, Crookes.

Don't think we have lost a pub up here since ""The Original Grindstone" was closed back in the 60's, although "The Mason's" has shut then reopened a few times recently.

We also have a couple of micro pubs in addition to the 5 old established pubs and of course the "Crookes Club" is still thriving.

Perhaps we have more pizz artists up here than most other areas.lol

• Like 3

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Fourty Foot RIP

Sad that. Didn't really go in that much before matches but spent many a Sunday dinner session in there with my late father in law. Was a cracking community pub back in the day. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 14/02/2023 at 19:00, @owlstalk said:

81FF066E-AEB6-4360-A1D9-A413313DC48C.jpeg

Saturday night - cockles off the fish man, Green Un' off the Star man, Meat Raffle, Bingo and a turn. We had it all, you never had to leave your seat in the snug - you just sat there under the yellow and brown ceiling.....

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Fourty Foot RIP

I always walk past that after I’ve parked up on Donovan Road, was always packed on matchdays, my uncle will be gutted, he always had a couple of pints in there before a match. The queue for the bar always put me off.

• Like 1

the 23 home games a season id imagine the tills will be making them plenty but the other 342 days id imagine 95% of those days the pub would run at a loss .. something should be done to protect these pubs as  a local community asset ,even if that involved certain groups during the week to be allowed to do small events in there , the rents,staff costs business rates ,soaring insurance costs and utility costs are making it totally impossible , the days of local pubs cafes are over , where i live loads of pubs have closed in past 8 years ,local cafes ,bakery, butchers ,shops etc have gone, all run by good people , but the costs are just impossible now . what amazes me is there are still 4 pubs , 3 look empty most of the time 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hyde2005 said:

the 23 home games a season id imagine the tills will be making them plenty but the other 342 days id imagine 95% of those days the pub would run at a loss .. something should be done to protect these pubs as  a local community asset ,even if that involved certain groups during the week to be allowed to do small events in there , the rents,staff costs business rates ,soaring insurance costs and utility costs are making it totally impossible , the days of local pubs cafes are over , where i live loads of pubs have closed in past 8 years ,local cafes ,bakery, butchers ,shops etc have gone, all run by good people , but the costs are just impossible now . what amazes me is there are still 4 pubs , 3 look empty most of the time 

Having left the pub trade just before covid, you are right.. unless you own it outright you are just making money for somebody else. And despite what people think it's bloody hard work and daft hours, and if you do well and start to make money all your bills go up accordingly.

During covid so many people built their own bars in their gardens. A lot of those won't return to pubs now. 

It's very sad but I think the British pubis on its last legs. 

• Like 4