Pubs near the Sheffield Wednesday ground that have shut

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Its back open now with new owners 

Last time I went in, about nine thirty 🤣🤣

its back open 

Let’s just say I won’t be going in there any time soon after the last time I went in there 

When did you last go in 🙈

On 18/01/2021 at 21:00, lambownumber5 said:

There's a couple of pictures of the strippers if you scroll down to the last couple of photos at the bottom of this link.

Any of these jugs jogg your memory?:

https://billstephenson.co.uk/social-documentary/the-dial-house-sports-and-social-club-sheffield-1983/ 

Wonderful page.

Way before my era these sort of clubs (in their peak) but it seems a great loss, especially to the older generation who often struggle with social isolation etc.

My dad worked at INTAL all his life apart from 6 yrs in the RAF during the war and my mother worked there for about 5 years.

match day was Wadsley Bridge club (still open) then maybe White Horse (now a Pizza place) although the Tetleys there was garbage.

First went in Railway when I was 15.  Great juke box.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

My dad worked at INTAL all his life apart from 6 yrs in the RAF during the war and my mother worked there for about 5 years.

match day was Wadsley Bridge club (still open) then maybe White Horse (now a Pizza place) although the Tetleys there was garbage.

First went in Railway when I was 15.  Great juke box.

I once took my girlfriend on our first date to the railway! I knew how to treat em lol

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Its back open now with new owners 

Last time I went in, about nine thirty 🤣🤣

its back open 

Let’s just say I won’t be going in there any time soon after the last time I went in there 

We go in before the match so I know what you mean. There are record sleeves all over the wall from the 60's and 70's, maybe even 50's - Slim Whitman, Nana Miskouri, Jim Reeves, James Last. God knows what away fans think when they go in, probably that it's a wierd theme pub or if not, an example of how far behind the times northerners are. The bar staff are great but the ale isnt amazing. I don't think it's changed hands though. 

Just now, Nut said:

We go in before the match so I know what you mean. There are record sleeves all over the wall from the 60's and 70's, maybe even 50's - Slim Whitman, Nana Miskouri, Jim Reeves, James Last. God knows what away fans think when they go in, probably that it's a wierd theme pub or if not, an example of how far behind the times northerners are. The bar staff are great but the ale isnt amazing. I don't think it's changed hands though. 

It used to be a decent pub when Wheeney had it and had some good lads who called it their local. It went a bit strange quite a few years ago and I haven't been in for over 20 years now

1 minute ago, soldierboyblue said:

It used to be a decent pub when Wheeney had it and had some good lads who called it their local. It went a bit strange quite a few years ago and I haven't been in for over 20 years now

I didn't know Wheeney had it. I played football for them for a couple of years, probably early 90's. 

1 minute ago, soldierboyblue said:

It wowed her and lasted about 2 years! She didn't like the Gate though!

If she didn't like The Gate it's probably best you're not with her. Best matchday pub ever. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nut said:

I didn't know Wheeney had it. I played football for them for a couple of years, probably early 90's. 

He used to run the door for many years when I think Alan? had it. We used to go on the coach to the match from there. We took 2 coaches to the Chelsea semi in 91 but the coaches alternated from the Railway to the Gate

2 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

He used to run the door for many years when I think Alan? had it. We used to go on the coach to the match from there. We took 2 coaches to the Chelsea semi in 91 but the coaches alternated from the Railway to the Gate

I used to go on The Gate coach when I wasn't playing. I went on it to the Chelsea semi. Some unbelievable times and characters. Banning alcohol on coaches put paid to a lot of the fun though.